Thread: The 4th Computer

The 4th Computer

Need a little advice.

I've been happy with my 3 computer network for a long time. I have a 4 port switch connected to my cable modem and then my 3 computers attached to the switch. My son just bought a laptop which we plugged into the 4th port on the switch. Needless to say this has been a nightmare for the last 48 hours.

Here is our final analysis and conclusion. My broadband provider, whose name I would like to omit, assigns up to 3 IP's and thus allows only 3 computers to get broadband access at one time. Hence the 4th computer is out in the cold. We originally thought this was a problem with the new laptop. With some trial and error and a few reboots we found the real problem is that after 3 of us are on the internet the 4 computer is the loser.

Can I defeat this problem by replacing my switch with a 4 port router? From the research I've done think this is possible because my broadband provider only sees one device thus assigning one IP while in reality the router is busy issuing out its own IP's to the 1, 2, 3 or 4 computers that may be attached to it.

Any further advice or comments are gratefully welcome.

Also, who makes a decent 4 port router in the $40 to $70 range that will serve my purpose? I saw one by D-Link that seems to fit the bill.

Thanks...

SG Enthusiast
    Yes a 4 port router should solve your problem quickly. Linksys makes a good home router, should be right in your price range too. I think a lot of people around here dislike the D-Link.

Originally posted by Snuf
    Yes a 4 port router should solve your problem quickly. Linksys makes a good home router, should be right in your price range too. I think a lot of people around here dislike the D-Link.

After a little more research the Linksys router allows expansion beyond the 4 ports by allowing one to attach to an uplink port which the D-link doesn't have. I have a need for this.

With a NAT box you can also stop paying for the 2nd and 3rd IPs.

Originally posted by clevelandtexas
    After a little more research the Linksys router allows expansion beyond the 4 ports by allowing one to attach to an uplink port which the D-link doesn't have. I have a need for this.
    You don't need an uplink port off the router/switch/hub, you can use a crossover cable, or most hubs/switchs will have an uplink port or selector switch to automatically cross the right wires. There shouldn't be an uplink port on the router because that would be the WAN port.

IMO the term "uplink" and "downlink" is disconcerting because the only difference between an uplink and a downlink port is the wire crossing (MDI vs. MDI-X)
    JeffL
    [size=1]Randomosity4.us
    Earthlink 7000/512

Lost Laptop in Home Network

I got a Linksys router and all four of my computers are accessing the internet well.

But I have one problem. The newest computer, the laptop, does not recognize the other three computers and likewise the other three don't recognize the laptop on our home network. This problem was present before I installed the Linksys router. They all have the same workgroup name. Even if we change the names on all 4 to a new name the same occurs. The same three computers can find each other but the laptop is out never never land for some reason.

I imagine its something dumb so any help is appreciated.

what OS's do your PCs have?

see the nic properties of your laptop and enable file and client sharing

btw you have 3 ip's so you use the 4'th compie with optained ip ?

Originally posted by BaLa
    what OS's do your PCs have?

All 4 PC's have WinXP PRO.

Since I'm connected to a router their IP's are 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.103. All 4 reach the internet. All 4 have file and print and file sharing turned on.

We've been tinkering and now this is what occurs (PC 4 is the laptop):

PC 1 can see PC's 2, 3 and 4.
    PC 2 can see PC's 1 and 3.
    PC 3 can see PC's 1 and 2.
    PC 4 (laptop) can see PC 1.

Somehow PC 1 and the PC 4 (laptop) can now see each. Now we have to figure out why 2 and 3 can't find 4 and vice versa.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    XP firewall enabled on those two?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    XP firewall enabled on those two?
    No

Are all systems set to use the same workgroup?

Are all systems sharing using the same protocol? If using XP Pro, you should share through IPX/SPX not TCP/IP (TCP/IP is used by default).

All systems should have unique names.

Do any of the systems have any firewalls installed, not just XP's firewall? (They should have or you exposed all 3 systems publicly before you got the router...)
    JeffL
    [size=1]Randomosity4.us
    Earthlink 7000/512

Originally posted by JeffL
    Are all systems set to use the same workgroup?

Are all systems sharing using the same protocol? If using XP Pro, you should share through IPX/SPX not TCP/IP (TCP/IP is used by default).

All systems should have unique names.

Do any of the systems have any firewalls installed, not just XP's firewall? (They should have or you exposed all 3 systems publicly before you got the router...)

1. All systems have the same workgroup name.
    2. Each computer has a unique name.

3. What do I need to set the sharing through IPX/SPX over TCP/IP? The closet thing I can find to IPX/SPX says NWLink IPX/SPX/NewBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol. Currently I have NETBEUI installed on all the computers.

DOH!

DOH!

I didn't have the NWLink IPX/SPX/NewBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol installed on all 4 of the computers. All problems cleared immediately upon installing this on those that didn't have it and a quick reboot.

How do I know if NWLink IPX/SPX/NewBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol is taking presidence over TCP/IP? Running WinXP PRO on all 4 computer.

i think nwlink or netbeui only use if you run like novell under xp
    if use pure xp not use that's protocol

have you try to setup home or small office network from compie4 ?
    if you try , you must connect all of 4compie

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Re: DOH!

Originally posted by clevelandtexas
    DOH!

I didn't have the NWLink IPX/SPX/NewBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol installed on all 4 of the computers. All problems cleared immediately upon installing this on those that didn't have it and a quick reboot.

How do I know if NWLink IPX/SPX/NewBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol is taking presidence over TCP/IP? Running WinXP PRO on all 4 computer.
    Wow...no wonder this is odd...IPX somehow got installed and is in the mix.

Why is IPX even loaded in the first place on any of the computers? IPX is for Novell networks. Yes you can peer to peer Windows networks using IPX only...if you want to for some weird reason. But why not just TCP?

Does it take presidence? It can...depends on your bindings and order of bindings...I don't know what you have.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!