Thread: Transfer speeds

Transfer speeds

i am new to networking and i am about to set up my wired network(since switching from wireless) and i am wondering. when i set my ruoter and all my computers does it transfer at 100 mbps automatically or does it transfer at 10 mbps and i have to change it to transfer at 100? and if so how do i do this? thanks
    Comp 1: 1.4 Ghz P4, 128 MB RDRAM, Rage ATI 16 mB video card, XP Pro, Cox HSI 3000/256
    Comp 2: 466Mhz Intel Celeron, 256 RAM, TDK 48x12x48 CD-RW, Win 98 SE, Cox HSI 3000/256

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The router (most models) has a built in 10/100 switch, which is auto-sensing.

Now...on the computer side..most NICs are capable of auto-sensing the connection speed, they are 10/100 auto, and will adjust by themselves....and you should be fine on a reboot...
    ...but sometimes people set them manually, then user intervention will be required.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

ok when i get set up and everything and if it doesnt say 100 mbps then ill post again. thanks
    Comp 1: 1.4 Ghz P4, 128 MB RDRAM, Rage ATI 16 mB video card, XP Pro, Cox HSI 3000/256
    Comp 2: 466Mhz Intel Celeron, 256 RAM, TDK 48x12x48 CD-RW, Win 98 SE, Cox HSI 3000/256

Do not forget that on the local network, transfers at 100mb may not always be possible. Other factors enter in to the transfer speeds, such as teh protocols uses for file & print sharing, antivirus apps, software firewalls, the wires themselves, quality of NICs, type of file being transferred etc etc etc. As well as available system resources at the time.

On a LAN, Netbeui is more efficient and faster than TCP, and more secure.

Another factor, is the actual available processor speed and usage on a receiving computer. For instance, my system is well tweaked (win2k pro) and sometimes when I transfer to my son's 333 celeron, when he's using it heavily (many apps opened) the transfer rate is about 70 mb/sec. But if he closes out programs the rate will increase. A receiving system has a finite amount of resources and power at any given time.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

thats all good with me. i just want to trafer all my videos from my moms comp to this one and anything faster than 10 mbits is good

Avlisad
    Do you mind if I ask why you switched from wireless. I'm just now considering networking the home pc's (4 of them) and was considering wireless because of the hassle of running wires through 2 floors of the house.

Thanks for your insights.

prolly because a wired network is much faster and more reliable...

with wireless it depends a lot on where the router/AP is located at.
    even if it is operating at optimal speeds
    it still wont touch a 100mbps lan..

that's ok for browsing the web but for transfering files..it's not so good....

Originally posted by Avlisad
    Do you mind if I ask why you switched from wireless. I'm just now considering networking the home pc's (4 of them) and was considering wireless because of the hassle of running wires through 2 floors of the house.

Thanks for your insights.
    for me, it just wasnt what i thought it would be. it just would have a super connection one hour and the next it would say poor connection. never lost a signal but just didnt seem worth the almost 400 bucks we paid. i am willing to try wireless again but i wanna wait till all of it is worked out.maybe in teh next 2 years or so. its not bad, but i think wired will be much better(for now at least). thats why i switched for the most part but also i mean 10 mbps compared to 100? thats 10 times more, and i tranfer large stuff so i dont wanna wait.