Thread: Best Linux Distro or Project for NAT & Firewall?

Best Linux Distro or Project for NAT & Firewall?

What is the best Linux or BSD distribution or project (like the various Linux on a floppy or CD projects I've seen) to use for NAT & firewall? I want to install it on my third machine and use it to share my DSL with my two Windows 2000 systems. I also want something with a decent firewall. I'm preferably looking for something that can be administered, for the most part, via web browser from my Windows 2000 systems once it is initially installed and configured. I've fooled with a few Linux distributions and one or two BSDs, but that was a while ago and short-lived, so I'm still fairly new to Linux.

TIA>
    -g.

Take a look at IPCop, Securepoint, and SmoothWall. I'm not sure about Securepoint, but I know the other two have web based administration tools.

Here is some more on Smoothwall including a video.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Thanks guys, will check those out tomorrow.

-g.

Take a look at Freesco when you have time as well. Fits on a floppy, so all you need is a 386 with video output, a keyboard, and a floppy drive and you're set.

Use either Debian GNU/Linux or OpenBSD. Preferbly Debian, OpenBSD is harder to upgrade and their packet filter is still seing heavy development.

You can use OpenSSH or webadmin to access a UNIX host via a network connection. SSH is what a UNIX user would use and webmin is what a Windows user would use.

You can also install Cygwin on your WIn2k box and use it to tunnel X through OpenSSH. Basically, with this setup you'll have your Linux or BSD desktop within a window on your Win2K desktop.

Stef