Thread: Free Speech or.....The Post awards for lack of..

Free Speech or.....The Post awards for lack of..

Here's the article

Ashcroft, Spelman and Congress See Free Speech as Anything But in Some Circumstances

Attorney General John D. Ashcroft, Congress and National Zoo Director Lucy H. Spelman are among 10 people and organizations named top stiflers of free speech in the 12th annual Jefferson Muzzle Awards handed out last week.

The Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression issues the awards each year on Jefferson's birthday to draw national attention to "severe and unusual" threats to free speech and press.

Isn't it a cause to worry seriously if the attorney general & congress are labeled as "severe and unusual" threat to free speech?!?
    ex-WoW-addict

Originally posted by SeedOfChaos
    Isn't it a cause to worry seriously if the attorney general & congress are labeled as "severe and unusual" threat to free speech?!?
    Yes......but imho, the Patriot Act will get another modification or two..Hopefully things will get ironed out to protect free speech and individual rights....that will be in Congress's court...and I would hope that keener intellect will prevail.

Ashcroft............well ...his elevator doesn't make all the required stops..

Originally posted by downhill
    Yes......but imho, the Patriot Act will get another modification or two..Hopefully things will get ironed out to protect free speech and individual rights....that will be in Congress's court...and I would hope that keener intellect will prevail.

Ashcroft............well ...his elevator doesn't make all the required stops..
    I certainly hope that's true...

but i forsee the opposite happening. congress is asking for results behind the patriot act, yet they are being refused.

I just dont understand why people feel safer with bush as president to begin with. The federal government isnt paying for most of the so called 'protection measures' anyway.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Bush's Axis of Evil was pretty accurate as far as it went.....
    Trouble is, he left Ashcroft off the list.

I just read yesterday that a few towns are starting to defy the federal thugs. &nbsp &nbsp(link requires age/sex/zip)
    If you want to be truly patriotic, do everything you can to subvert and defy the "patriot act" and urge everyone else to do so as well. The local library is a good place to start.

Originally posted by torsten
    Bush's Axis of Evil was pretty accurate as far as it went.....
    Trouble is, he left Ashcroft off the list.

I just read yesterday that a few towns are starting to defy the federal thugs. &nbsp &nbsp(link requires age/sex/zip)
    If you want to be truly patriotic, do everything you can to subvert and defy the "patriot act" and urge everyone else to do so as well. The local library is a good place to start.
    funny you should mention the library...

they just put out a policy that all loose papers should be shredded at the end of each day.

to protect themselves and the patrons from our government.

go bush. I certainly feel more secure.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

I was thinking of the library provisions when I mentioned that. They can order libraries to give them records of what you've been reading and internet logs if the library monitors such things. Most librarians are strongly opposed to this invasion of privacy and some have been plotting ways to resist. I, of course, hope for blatant mass defiance of the unconstitutional law, but the safest way may be methods like the shredding you referred to. Ultimately, if it's the only way to secure patrons privacy, all records and logs should be eliminated as soon as the material's use has ended.

I'm guessing that somewhere J. Edgar Asscroft is building a big list of all the subversives and treasonists that have been reading things like.... you know... Noam Chomsky and such, not to mention sexually related material that shouldn't be on the shelves in reach of our children. I mean what about the children???!!!!

I guess my days of using telnet to access the library are over.

Thanks Asscroft.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD