Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor shuts off on boot-up

Advanced Member

Monitor shuts off on boot-up

Ok Guys and Gal's,

I have a 1.2 ghz T-bird processer with an Abit KT7 Mobo. I am not sure of the video card make; and the monitor is an 17" NEC multisync (LCD). When I start the computer, the monitor just shuts off after the POST (beep in the computer). I swapped video card with another AGP card, still the same results. I then swapped monitors, no change. So the next logical step was to change the power supply....of course that did not fix it either. I am going to purchase a PCI card and see if it works then, maybe the AGP slot is bad? Anyone have any insight on this problem? It is one of thos annoying things we all encounter!

Thanks
    Fee was a buddhist prodigy...
    Long past the age of maturity...
    Someday he knew it would set him free...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Check your bios settings for your vid card. Just a shot in the dark here.

Advanced Member
    I would, but the monitor will not stay on long enough for me to look at the BIOS.....
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Folding Thunder
    My guess is the "no name' brand video card is the culprit. See if you can find another video card to try.

I'm sure that video card you have doesn't have enough juice to fire up the LCD.

Advanced Member
    I replaced the video card with my ATI radeon 9000 pro card....but had the same results...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Are you overclocking? Reset your CMOS with the jumper on your motherboard and see if it boots.

Originally posted by mnosteele52
    Are you overclocking? Reset your CMOS with the jumper on your motherboard and see if it boots.

That was my next suggestion. Also, unplug your power supply before you do. Some mobos don't like a power supply to them when you jumper the cmos...

Venge This!
    Set init display first to AGP.
    Rob

Advanced Member
    Ok, I swapped the AGP video card with a new PCI card...no change. I also removed the CMOS battery and reset the jumpers...unfortunately it did no change as well. There is a whirring sound (seperate from the heatsink/processor fan) that sounds like it is coming from the processor, anyway, it ends suddenly when the monitor shuts off (it goes SSSSSSSSSSP! dead). The system locks up when the monitor shuts off; also the green light from the NIC turns off as well? The next step I am leaning towards is just replacing the Mobo.....as I am clueless now.
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Advanced Member
    One more thing, I do not overclock this machine...with my luck it would fry on the first attempt. I like to limit my headaches
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Certified SG Addict
    Does the monitor have a DVI connection? If so, is it plugged in? If noth the VGA (blue) and the DVI (white) connectors are plugged into the video card, it will likely default to the DVI connection. Most BIOSes onlu support VGA, so you might have to manually switch it to VGA in order to see anything during POST.

Advanced Member
    The monitor has the outputs for the DVI connectors, but I do not use them. I have the 15 pin conected to the monitor and video card.
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

to could be an IRQ conflict, try removing everything but ram, proc and video card and see if it boots.

Later,

Massa

try resetting cmos. if u overclocked too high (kt133 wasn't known for high fsb..anything over ~117 wasn't possible).. try clearing the cmos.

Since it's so soon after bootup, make sure your hsf is seated properly and it's fan running when you boot up. Maybe your cpu is overheating.

Are you clearing the CMOS properly? Set the jumper to clear and boot the pc then turn it off and set it back to normal.

Also when did it start this? After any new hardware or software install? Just out of the blue?

If you have tried the VGA and monitor combo on another box, and they work, I would tend to believe the mobo is bad...

Be careful if so, as I have seen bad mobo's fry other components quickly, ie., bad IDE controller fry hard drives, bad comm ports fry fax modems, etc...

Advanced Member
    The monitor and video card both work on other computers. I did clear the CMOS properly...I then swapped the processor into another computer and it did not work. So after all this aggrevation, it comes down to a bad processor. Thanks for everyone's help. Time to search the web for a CPU.......
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Funny I just had a similiar problem. Can't help you with a solution though, I solved mine by just reformatting. But curious when you turn the power on did the comp post and everything then did it go to the windows boot logo and then the LCD just shut off like it was in hibernation mode?

Originally posted by mnosteele52
    Are you clearing the CMOS properly? Set the jumper to clear and boot the pc then turn it off and set it back to normal.

Also when did it start this? After any new hardware or software install? Just out of the blue?

Are you sure that's correct? MY mobo manual tells me not to power up the pc with the jumper in the clear position to prevent damaging the mobo. Of course my mobo is fairly old now so maybe things have changed.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.