Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much Hard Drive do you use/need?

skg

Post How much Hard Drive do you use/need?

I have 10Gb. But have never used more than 3GB. No graphics. I try to keep my system fairly clean. A lot of jpegs and stuff, but never get past 3GB.

Why do so many want those huge drives?

Well, I got my system about 2 years ago with a 13 Gb. drive. I didn't know much about computers and hard drives and formats, so even though I told the guy that built the system I was going to collect a LOT of music, he said 13 Gb. would be plenty and I believed him.
    A few months later I realized that the guy didn't know jack-sh*t about collecting music. I've downed over a Gigabyte of music in a single evening, and by now have about 30 CD-RW full of mp3s that I've pulled off to make room for new stuff.
    So, if I had the chance I'd go for a 40Gb at least, and probably will as soon as I have some cash saved up. If I didn't collect music then I wouldn't see the need, but I do, so I see nothing wrong with giant drives.

striderf1
    I have a 10 gig hd, and I'm at 8 gigs now. thats after I deleted a lot of good stuff. I'm trying to find a good deal on a 40 gig hd, if I find one I'll buy it. I'm looking for a 404 gig 7200 rpm (preferable) under 130$. If you guys know of a deal like this, plz tell me about it.

Cool

Originally posted by skg:
    I have 10Gb. But have never used more than 3GB. No graphics. I try to keep my system fairly clean. A lot of jpegs and stuff, but never get past 3GB.

Why do so many want those huge drives?

well SKG,in answer to your question,I believe that under normal use,for home,10 gig is plenty of room,I am the same way that you are,I have a 10gig with about 3 or 4 gig filled,and I also have a 20 gig on one of my other boxes and i still have 15.8 free,what takes up alot of space is downloading music like was already said.but personally for me,if I want a music cd,I will go buy it.anyway I think you are fine with 3 gig filled,quicker defrags that way huh!!

Originally posted by crazyman:

well SKG,in answer to your question,I believe that under normal use,for home,10 gig is plenty of room,I am the same way that you are,I have a 10gig with about 3 or 4 gig filled,and I also have a 20 gig on one of my other boxes and i still have 15.8 free,what takes up alot of space is downloading music like was already said.but personally for me,if I want a music cd,I will go buy it.anyway I think you are fine with 3 gig filled,quicker defrags that way huh!!
    Not taking a swing at you, just explaining what I said a little more. 95% of my music are live shows that aren't available for purchase ANYWHERE.

[ 02-12-2001: Message edited by: Humboldt ]

Well to explain why we need so much bigger hard drives I'll try:

These days Operating Systems and Programs are getting Bigger and BIGGER and BIGGER!

A Clean install of Windows Whistler Personal takes up 1.5GB on my hard drive, and that's JUST the Operating system!

Office2000, and such apps are just getting bigger and bigger and more bloated and more bloated.

Not to mention game install sizes, I have some games that take up 500MB and larger!

That plus the downloading of MP3's, Videos, and whatever else I'm doing with my computer. Now i've helped the load of stuff by putting all my MP3's on my file server, they are taking up 12GB of space filling up two 6GB hard drives on my server, I need to just get one 45GB hard drive for Just my mp3's since I have so many and will have so many more, i keep collecting. And I've aslo started collecting full length music videos now, so those take up a lot of space, luckily I have all that on my file server which has 4 6GB hard drives on it which I need to upgrade each to 45GB drives cause i'm runnign outta space on em all!

Right now i have an 18GB Hard Drive, i've had it for 2 years now, I've formatted a lot and stuff to keep it clean, cause it gets full fast hehe, right now i have 3GB free on it, my next upgrade for hard drives on this computer is going to be Two IBM 45GB 7200RPM ATA/100 Drives in a Raid 0 config

But it just all depends on what you are using your computer for, for most office type people 10GB is plenty for Word Processing and Excel etc....

It just depends on what you are doing with your computer...

[ 02-12-2001: Message edited by: Brent ]
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Too many music files!! Lets put it this way. If you have 500 MP3's and lets say that they each take up 3MB each at minimum

3x500=1500MB

That a little under 1.5GB

Many people have more than 500 music files so think of the possibilities. Then you have to add in programs and games and then you end up taking up a lot of space. As brent just said..........He is almost out of space on 4 6GB hard drives. Thats already 24GB.
    Windows has not yet detected a keyboard. Press any key to continue.

Heres what i have on my file server, each drive is 6GB exact same hard drives:

C:\ Contains the OS Windows2000 Server and any programs I have installed for that computer such as the ICQ Active List servers, FTP, SETI etc....

D:\ This drive is labled Junk Drive it's where I stick all my Benchmark programs, and all my *ahem* full version apps (ISO's take up a lot of space ), and all the stuff I've collected that I want to keep that are important for the things I do

E:\ MP3 Drive 1 full of MP3's

F:\ MP3 Drive 2 full of MP3's

And that's just my server:

On my main computer I have my 18GB drive and it's almost full... but now I have no where to put the junk cause my server hard drives are full (too small anyways) I just wanna replace every hard drive with a 45 giger, but i have no money! haha

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Personally, I've got a 13 gig drive on my system, but will probably look into getting a 30 gig or 2 within the next week (prices are under $100)..I put most of my mp3s on cd, but I'd like to keep part of that library on hard drive simply for convenience sake...If I put all the mp3's I have in my collection onto a hard drive, I'd have probably about 15 gig...then, like Brent said, the videos start rolling in and hogging up a bunch more of the drive space...maybe I'll just have to invest in two 80 gig hard drives (my other two ide channels have a cd on one and a zip drive on the other)
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I just added an Ultra/100 controller on my server last week

so I can now put 8 IDE devices on my server, hehe

SpeedFreak

I've got a 40 gig hard drive, and have about 25 gigs free.

Blog Entries

Talking

Originally posted by Brent:
    I just added an Ultra/100 controller on my server last week

so I can now put 8 IDE devices on my server, hehe
    hmm, I think I might have an ata66 controller around here as well...I may just have to throw that in and get an ata100 also
    Let see, 12 drives...I'll need to get a second power supply as well as a fatboy case, numerous fans and some earplugs
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

BMED

I have a 27G and 6G HD. I use about 30% of them for multiple things. Most of the stuff I want to save for good I burn onto CD.

I don't think that I'll be needing any more space for a long time.

With CDRW's out there is no need for too large of a HD anymore......for now that is!

hell yeah

I need to purchase 8 IBM 45GB 7200rpm ata/100 hard drives to make what i want to have work...

i think that will give me plenty of space for a while...

[ 02-12-2001: Message edited by: Brent ]

My main system has 3 40 gig drives and I have a removable 20 gig with Win ME stuff on it (12 Gig full on the 20)
    "Forever with you. Forever without you...."

You can never have enough Hard Drive space or RAM. No matter how much or how big inevitably it will become to small.
    winME for its Go Back feature makes an updated mirror of your hard drive. Compressed even that can't be a small amount of room. Multimedia takes up lots of room too. If i just had my games and aplications I wouldn't use over 6GB but as it stands I have 4 hard drives totaling 72GB. 332MB for windows 4.3GB for Aplications, 1.4GB in my download folder, 2.19GB for games, 40.23GB for mp3's and 4.86 for music video's i got 28GB free and it will be full in the next 3 months of mp3s and videos. I have come to the conclusion that hard drive size is all relative to the person filling it.
    http://k-9.tierranet.com/fold.gif
    It's Because Light Travels Faster Then Sound That Some People Appear Bright Until They Speak

Cool

Hey Brent where are you gettin the music videos? I'm going to have to get into that.

intense

Not to mention that no matter what size your hard drive, you should keep roughly 25% of it free to allow room for file swapping. I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, sorry if you did.

Originally posted by intense:
    Hey Brent where are you gettin the music videos? I'm going to have to get into that.

intense
    Alt.binaries.mpeg.videos
    "Forever with you. Forever without you...."

that and any place i can find em! haha