Thread: Hey Norm...

Hey Norm...

Did Louise.exe work the way you wanted? Can I take it for a spin on the old guy's ME computer down the road from me? I want to stop system restore and then delete the c:\_restore directory.

*edit*

I just found this on a ME web site. Think I'll give it a try.

1. In Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, disable or delete the PCHealth entry.

2. In Control Panel, System Properties, Performance Tab, File System Properties button, Troubleshooting Tab, check "Disable System Restore".

Somehow, even with System Restore disabled, the _RESTORE folder continues to fill up. The next few steps stop that from happening :

3. Go to DOS using a Start Up Disk. At the prompt, type deltree c:\_RESTORE Answer y at the prompt.

4. At the prompt, type echo This is a Dummy File > c:\_RESTORE

5. Turn all file attributes on : attrib c:\_RESTORE +r +a +s +h.

6. Remove the Start Up Disk and restart the computer.

7. In Start/Run, type msconfig , click on the Startup tab. Uncheck *StateMgr and PCHealth.

That second method sounds good Doc. I don't have ME so I don't know what's on it's startup disk. If deltree.exe, and attrib.exe are on it, those commands should work.

There was trouble with Louise.exe, but it may have been the BIOS boot order setting wasn't set to boot floppy before HD.

I can't test it myself, and I have no willing guinee pigs.

Originally posted by Norm
    There was trouble with Louise.exe, but it may have been the BIOS boot order setting wasn't set to boot floppy before HD.
    What was the trouble?

I can set the boot order on the old guys computer.

Damn nice AV ya got there Norm. Looks like your AV got "lucky" with my AV last night.

Yesterday (just messing around) I booted to DOS on the guys ME machine. C:\_restore was hidden so I DIR'ed to it. I then DIR'ed to the TMP folder and found all the .CPY files (tons of them). I could delete maybe 100 at a time but trying to delete more than 1000 at a time took forever (didn't know if the machine was hung or what).

Of course... it started to populate C:\_restore\tmp right after I booted to windows... but I was just messing around to see what I could see.

Louise's PC booted right into windows and bypassed the floppy. Never did confirm if it was bootorder related.

Do what that site says to do, but before you try to delete the c:_restore dir, use attrib to remove ALL attributes. If Dos can't see the dir, it won't delete it as far as I've had the pleasure. Maybe a WinME bootdisk is different, I don't know.

attrib -r -a -s -h c:\_restore

Never mind that site Doc, they don't even have the syntax correct for the attrib command. Use the method I showed you the other day using a 98 bootdisk and all the files needed in the root.

I hate Win ME

Originally posted by MadDoctor
    Damn nice AV ya got there Norm. Looks like your AV got "lucky" with my AV last night.

shhh, don't want that getting out.

Perhaps I could interest you in some risqué bedroom photo's. Bring a big sack of money. I do have another buyer (I believe it’s your wife) but I’ll put her off until I get your money.

Doc, I actually made up a MadDoc.exe in case you wanted to try it, but I think it best to just use a 98 bootdisk with attrib.exe, deltree.exe, smartdrv.exe added to it.

These things are very easy for me, but hard to explain to others.

Dos, or (command.com) has internal, and external commands. Deltree, smartdrv, and attrib are all external, and need their own executable files in the same dir as where they are called from.

Commands like copy, delete, echo, etc are internal to command.com

SO as I tried to tell you the other day, it isn't as simple as you may think, especially when MS keeps changing things with each new OS

Originally posted by Norm
    Doc, I actually made up a MadDoc.exe in case you wanted to try it, but I think it best to just use a 98 bootdisk with attrib.exe, deltree.exe, smartdrv.exe added to it.
    Yes. I'd like to try the MadDoc.exe. Send it to normsdoctor@yahoo.com

I have a 98 bootdisk at work. I'll grab it tomorrow. Where can I get the three .exe files? I have XP and I'll bet it doesn't have those three files. Can I download them from some web site? Can you send them to me?

If everyone would just stick to using the best OS around, this would be a cakewalk (98SE)

I'll mail the file, but it may not work since file version numbers are different. It won't hurt anything, but it may not work as planned.