Thread: Burke's Irritation #144...

Certified SG Addict

Angry Burke's Irritation #144...

Don't try and upsell me ANYTHING.

If I go to the movies, they want to upgrade me to a terasized popcorn and coke for "only 50 cents" more. If I go to the doctor, he wants me to take three other tests I don't actually need, but that he recommends I do anyway. If I get a haircut, the stylist wants to sell me shampoo or conditioner. If I get an oil change, they want to recommend I get an $89 radiator flush.

Attention Employees of Earth! I know that they tell you to upsell in training. But know THIS. I will TELL you if I want a canister of your Bed Head mousse. I will TELL you if I want a Rear Differential checkup. I will TELL you if I want that second colonoscopy with the Twizzler and complimentary twisty-straw.

Until then, fulfill my request and piss off. Thanks!

Ok so what started this Burke?

I think you need to send a copy of this to Autozone. Those guys drive me nuts. I know if they don't try, they can be written up for poor job performance, but it still ticks me off to no end.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by lord_yuri
    Ok so what started this Burke?
    Blebs nailed it. I got my oil changed this morning at Jiffy Lube, and the guy went on for ten minutes about all the stuff they and Chevrolet recommend I do every 1.334 miles.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Yea.. they are trained to.... and sometimes people do upgrade.. do get the extras.. thats why they keep doing it..

they are trying to inform others that they have the option to do so.. some might not know they have the option and will go get the upgrade..

I do know whacha mean... I once went to a fast food place... where I can make my own combo... I ordered 2 things and said thats it.. the lady there kept harrasing me... don't u want rice/noodles with yer 2 orders? I said no and she said.. it's freee why don't u want it.. I said no thanx.. but she said.. it's freee.. then I said.. sure give me the rice then.. sheez..

I ended up throwing the rice because I didn't intend to eat it but she kept harrasing mee...

it's even worst at bestbuy where they harrass u with extra warranty and crap.... sheez... shush already...

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by Immortal
    I do know whacha mean... I once went to a fast food place... where I can make my own combo... I ordered 2 things and said thats it.. the lady there kept harrasing me... don't u want rice/noodles with yer 2 orders? I said no and she said.. it's freee why don't u want it.. I said no thanx.. but she said.. it's freee.. then I said.. sure give me the rice then.. sheez..
    It was racism! They saw you were Asian and immediately assumed! LAWSUIT!

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Originally posted by Burke
    It was racism! They saw you were Asian and immediately assumed! LAWSUIT!
    hahahahahaha.. nah.. the comes with either rice/noodle if u order 2 or more things...

OMG!! Immortal you chose rice instead of noodles!! This is an outrage, everyone knows noodles are better.

Originally posted by Burke
    Blebs nailed it. I got my oil changed this morning at Jiffy Lube, and the guy went on for ten minutes about all the stuff they and Chevrolet recommend I do every 1.334 miles.

You didn't say NO correctly the first time. You have got to let them know that they aren't gonna sell you anything extra, ever, and that they'll just be wasting their time trying. Sometimes you have to get rude to shut them up.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by schlurpee
    You didn't say NO correctly the first time. You have got to let them know that they aren't gonna sell you anything extra, ever, and that they'll just be wasting their time trying. Sometimes you have to get rude to shut them up.
    Yeah, but I'm a nice, patient guy. The dichotomy is an unstable one.

I'd say it depends on a situation.

If someone at a place like McDonald's asks me if I want to supersize something, that's one thing. If you go into a Best Buy (a place which will continue to recieve $0 from me each year) and get the "OH DO YOU WANT A WARRANTY ON THIS $30 PART AND A NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION?", that's something completely different.

Case in point, I ran into a newbie worker at a Best Buy in Albany. I asked to see the manager about something. He said that he'd go find him, but before he left, he asked if I wanted to subscribe to Netflix.

Hmmm, well i used to be the same way but my patience wore thin and now I absolutley can't stand to tell a person NO more than once. I am 100% polite the first time, but it goes downhill quickly after that.

And what is a dichotomy? Cause i am too lazy to look it up.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

how about when you got to Circuit City or BBY or whatever..

you buy a stereo equipment, or whatever...

Would you liek that extra warranty with that?

I always say no before he finishes explaining what it's all about

The reason why they harass-sell you is because some people will give in..just to get the nagging sales-person off their butts. Look at telemarketing!
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

also.. they get commison on warranty sales and stuffs...

I forget what it was called..but at KMArt we would get 10% on the Protection Plan forgot what it was about too..
    so I'm sure salesman at CC and BBY get commision too...

that doesn't apply for somethings of course...

Certified SG Addict
    REGARDLESS! DO NOT ANGER THE BURKE.

Originally posted by Jstyr
    The reason why they harass-sell you is because some people will give in..just to get the nagging sales-person off their butts. Look at telemarketing!

I work for hp tech support and they want me to offer warrantys and upgrades and this and that. And that is not the reason I do it at all I do it cause hp says do or you have no job. I dissagree with it but it is my job and no matter how much my cust. don't like it i will do what hp ask. I know it buggs people and I know they hate. But I like my job and I also like to eat and pay rent.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

This si why I could never be a salesman. It is inheriently EVIL!!
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

Originally posted by Jstyr
    This si why I could never be a salesman. It is inheriently EVIL!!
    not neccesarily(sp)'

if they tell you to offer an extended warranty or whatever, that's all you have to do..

you don't have to be pushy about it like some ppls...

Originally posted by BaLa
    not neccesarily(sp)'

if they tell you to offer an extended warranty or whatever, that's all you have to do..

you don't have to be pushy about it like some ppls...
    that right I don't have to push it. It just make that call that much longer and tech call can take a very long time puls most people are already very pissed when they call tech support. It bugs me cause I am not a saleman, did that for about a year hated it and will never do it agian.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking