Thread: AMD dually?

SG Elite

AMD dually?

It's a possibility...I suppose Tyan's the main game in town?

Asus and msi make dually amd boards as well.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720
    All the AMD dual boards are very very sick (all good). The Tyan one is very much a contender in my books, (can't remember the model) but a customer in the store ordered one in, wanted a dual MP+2400 setup, man that was have been some crazy ass performance! Personally I would look for one with onboard RAID or SCSI-RAID. Baring that, I would hope and wait for one with USB 2.0/SATA RAID to come out! Definately very interested in those new Seagate 8mb SATA drives, sold a pair off in a RAID 0 flavour to a customer, haven't heard from him a bit so I'm assuming he's super happy with it.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

The mobo you refer to is the:

Tyan Thunder K7X(S2468GN) Dual PGA462 1AGP4x/5PCI/4DDR w/VGA & NIC ATA-100

Remember the Opteron is on sale now, so dont buy Athlon MP's if you want insane performance...

opteron dually ... OMG burke would fold a unit a second...
    _

I can't even fathom the cooling needed for that.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

SG Elite
    Honestly, it would only be Folding. I'm thinking of keeping as few setups as possible, for personal reasons. I know it'd be a waste to just Fold with a dually setup, but I have no problem wasting resources.

I just don't want five towers sitting around the apartment, Doc Brown'in the place up.

disabled account
    www.2cpu.com

There are many makers of SMP AMD boards. Tyan is solid, but does not permit overclocking. MSI permits some overclocking and will work with non-ECC ram (I have this board). Iwill and Gigbyte are also contenders in the o/c round up.

SMP is typically not o/ced for the sake of ultimate stability and reliability, however pushing the mulitplier up will give a bit of a speed bump without effecting the stability of the board

My dual 2000+MP MSI board runs at 12.5x144 as solid as a rock 24/7
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

SG Elite
    Originally posted by nepenthe
    www.2cpu.com

There are many makers of SMP AMD boards. Tyan is solid, but does not permit overclocking. MSI permits some overclocking and will work with non-ECC ram (I have this board). Iwill and Gigbyte are also contenders in the o/c round up.

SMP is typically not o/ced for the sake of ultimate stability and reliability, however pushing the mulitplier up will give a bit of a speed bump without effecting the stability of the board

My dual 2000+MP MSI board runs at 12.5x144 as solid as a rock 24/7
    Are you using the KD7 Master?

disabled account
    Originally posted by Burke
    Are you using the KD7 Master?
    Yes, with 1 GB of 2700 RAM. I am running advanced server 2000 on it. It can do 12.5 x 150, but it can be a little dodgy. The OC increments are a bit odd. I chose this board for stability and mild o/c. Iwill supposedly will o/c a bit better.

shant,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Folding with AMD POWER Loonatic's Avatar
    The MSI K7D MasterL is the best board out for AMD SMP right now. The TYANS are good, but they have a problemw with the ATX connector frying and welding itself onto the board.

I am contemplating an AMD dually myself, a dual 2400 XP would DEFINITLY fold like a mofo!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

disabled account
    Originally posted by Loonatic
    The MSI K7D MasterL is the best board out for AMD SMP right now. The TYANS are good, but they have a problemw with the ATX connector frying and welding itself onto the board.

I am contemplating an AMD dually myself, a dual 2400 XP would DEFINITLY fold like a mofo!
    They do cook, stupid fast. Ah, if only 2400+XP would be recognized reliably as 2400MP+

btw...I am using ECC ram, though non-ECC is usable.

SG Elite
    They do cook, stupid fast. Ah, if only 2400+XP would be recognized reliably as 2400MP+

Looks like the KD7 Master only supports up to the 2000 MP?

cant you connect some bridges on the xp's to make them function exactly like the mp's?

thought i read that somewhere b4..that would surely save some extra dough needed for dual swiftechs

disabled account
    Originally posted by Burke
    Looks like the KD7 Master only supports up to the 2000 MP?
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...0&NAME=MS-6501

SG Elite
    I guess I shouldn't trust store specs, then.

disabled account
    Originally posted by loop2kil
    cant you connect some bridges on the xp's to make them function exactly like the mp's?

thought i read that somewhere b4..that would surely save some extra dough needed for dual swiftechs
    Yes, but you will hear that some folks found that the bridged XP's did not work.
    Sometimes it is better to cough up the extra coin.