Thread: OE Spam filter

OE Spam filter

I need a filter for my spam...have tried a few, but none really work. Have also gone through OE and created rules for messages, but still end up getting spam galore.
    Just tired of weeding through tons of junk
    Thanks
    Louise

Have you tried Mail Washer?

http://www.webattack.com/get/mailwasher.shtml

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

This one is very popular as well.

http://www.webattack.com/get/spami.shtml

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

If using OE, everytime you get an unwanted message, rt click & select 'block sender'.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blocking a sender is rather redundant as a filter. It mearly downloads the mail that is blocked, and sends it to the deleted items folder. You're still downloading it. For a 56k connection this is a concern, but not really for a broadband connection.

Except that an email that gets downloaded is an indication to the sender that the address is a valid one, and good to sell on the open market to other spammers.

The best I have come up with is to have an account at Hotmail or somewhere like www.burntmail.com under a made up name, and when signing for anything on the net to just use the made up account.

I never get any spam in my main account, because so far I've only given it out to trusted friends. Although it is possible for it to get spam, because some spammers make up names just to test and see if the account exists. So far I've been lucky I guess.

If you're on a 56k connection it's best to use a web based email client instead of Outlook Express, that way you only actually download the ones you choose to, and ignore the rest, saving time, and bandwidth.

Let the web based server do all the downloading, use their bandwidth instead of your own

My problem is that I already have signed up for the things on the net and it seems that whenever you do that the places you sign up at sell the addy or lists of them or something. I did get smart and use another email addy for things other than ebay and personal stuff, but the problem is all the spam I get from the past.
    I tried the block sender thing but I think spam places are well aware of people doing that so they send from a different email or something.
    I downloaded mailwasher and like it so far...was not so sure about it at first, but it seems to be good, and I am starting to like it.
    Louise

Years ago when I used 56k & OE, and got a lot of spam, I had a small free app, I think it was called spam guard. I'd run the app and could view all the mail on the server and delete what I didn't want to download, then set up a filter so it got auto deleted on the server.

Now, I use Calypso mail client w/ broadband. Calypso is much more robust than OE. It lets you set up filters that delete the mail on the server beforehand and only download what you allow. And it's FREE!

I still have a yahoo account for all online forms & stuff though.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Originally posted by TonyT
    Now, I use Calypso mail client w/ broadband. Calypso is much more robust than OE. It lets you set up filters that delete the mail on the server beforehand and only download what you allow. And it's FREE!.
    Sounds like what "mom" is looking for. I may give that a try myself, for some of my other accounts. Thanks Tony

Thanks Tony,
    I think I will check out the Callypso...I am just very used to OE
    Never used it when I was on a dial up connection, but it is lickity split quick with broadband!