Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ME Help Please

Originally posted by momiam2six
    Hi, I am back
    I ran your program...or at least I think I did. I downloaded it and it told me to put in a floppy and I did and it copied some files to it and then told me to leave it in and reboot, so I did and here I am.
    So did I do it right?
    Am I supposed to do anything with the things in Louise folder?
    Will download jellybean now
    Thanks!
    Louise
    You can delete that Louise folder if you like, it's done it's job.

When you rebooted, did your PC boot right to Windows, or did it boot into the floppy and do some stuff?

it went to windows...then I reread what you said it should do so i redownloaded it and then tried again...again rebooted to windows so I looked in the floppy and the autoexec was there so I double clicked and it started running.
    This is the screen I have now....is it right?

It should have done that instead of booting to windows. It's either a problem with the boot disk I made, or your BIOS setting for the boot order isn't set to boot to floppy before the hard drive. I think it's the latter.
    No matter, it seems to have done what I wanted it to while in windows
    You really do like taking risks

Hmmm, been a while.

Anything to report? Hope all is well and you're PC is ok.

Sorry for the silence. My daughter had her 8th grade prom this evening and it took the whole day to get ready lol.

Computer is a bit fragile. Did some really freaky things earlier that I just did not have the time to pay attention to. The worst thing it did was just all of a sudden out of the blue go to a light mint green screen that sorta changed colors a bit. Had to manually shut down would not shut down other ways. Rebooted and was fine after that but it was a lil strange that that happened.
    Other than that it seems to be doing better, and I will be online for a bit now, trying to catch up on things before I go to bed so I will be able to give the system a good workout.
    Thanks!
    Lousie

Hi again. No problem about not being here for a while. most people do have lives to take care of. I was thinking the worst happened with your PC.

Curious, did you reinstall windows?

Nope did not reinstall windows.
    I thought one of your posts said to hold off on that for a bit....but I could be wrong
    Lousie

Yes, I did recommend that. I am not positive that the HP reinstall is like a normal reinstall of WinME. HP has their own way of doing things. I can tell from the number of files and folders in that folder along with the setup file that they far exceed the number in a normal WinME disk.

It is a risk I'd rather you decide on. You may lose the function of your PC, or the net at the very least. I just don't know. Then the only thing left to help would be using the restore CD. If you do decide to try it, make sure you backup anything important to you.

For now though you can continue posting any info on problems and see if we can figure out what's going wrong.

How much ram do you have? I'm asking because you said you installed some yourself. All along I've been thinking bad ram MAY be part of this problem too.

If you have more than one stick of ram installed, you could try removing one for a while, then the other to see if one of them is the culprit.

I have 255MB of RAM
    I installed a stick of RAM when I first got the computer about 1 1/2 yrs ago.

As for reinstalling windows...my system is running 90% better than it was when I first posted here. If it gets like that again I will surely reinstall windows and back up important stuff first just in case it goes bad and I have to do the cd restore.

I wonder if I contact HP and tell them I want a cd of winME only they would send me one. Doubtful huh lol

I doubt they'd send you the WinME CD, but they could tell you what will happen if you install over WinME, and how to handle it properly. I'm just afraid if you go ahead with what I 'believe' is ok, you may have other problems. like hardware driver issues. Internet connection not working, or loss of data.

The last WinME machine I worked on I did a reinstall, but it didn't fix the guys problems and we had to format and do a fresh install anyway. Before I did the reinstall I did everything I could think of to fix that machine, nothing worked, but after a format and fresh install it was working like a swiss watch. But if I wasn't there to set up a lot of other things like email, internet some drivers etc etc, he would have been in deep trouble.

Anyway, report what you can here on anything that happens, and I'll do what I can to help.

I'm off to sleep now, it's 2:40 am here.

I will keep you updated
    Thanks so much for everything
    Nite nite 3:30 am here now

You're welcome.
    And thank you as well. I always learn something new and keep my skills honed when helping others with their computers. WinME and HP PC's aren't my best niche, but I'm learning.

Welcome to SpeedGuide

Angry

I know AOL is a major hog on resources, but my kids have it on their computer...which has a dial up modem.
    To make a long story short, I tried to add AOL to my computer, and it will not work. Tried different cd's, tried downloading from web...keeps hitting problems and not installing.
    This is a minor problem......but it reminded me of a larger one

I have NO access to my internet options. Absolutely none. I can't click on tools...internet options. When I do that it says I have no access to those functions
    I am totally ready to throw the computer out the window
    I have backed up the most important stuff, and can restore from the cd but still really do not want to have to do that if this internet options is a simple fix thing. I have NO clue why it is doing this...it happened about a week ago too.
    Louise

AOL is not worth it. You have a connection and don't need AOL anyway. I refer to AOl as AOHell, and the worst virus on the net. Long story

Try going to start>Run, and type msinfo32 and hit enter.
    In the box that comes up, go to tools drop down menu and look for IE repair tool. See if running that fixes your IE options problem. If not you can try downloading IE and reinstalling it. Or even get the latest update for it..

I can only assume that one of those spyware apps screwed it up.

Well nothing was working at all late last night so I tried to do a recover only, which failed and failed miserably
    So I did a full format and recovery.
    Backed up most of my stuff, lost all the mp3's, but printed out a list of them so he could easily get back in here what he wanted to have and not have all the extras.

I have a few more questions now.
    I have not added or removed anything yet but want to.
    A lot of the stuff that is initally set up in the computer I do not want or need.
    Will start new threads for them though.
    Thanks again for all your effort Norm!
    Louise