Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ME Help Please

ME Help Please

Hi, I have several problems, probably all my fault for I have neglected this for a while.
    I have windows ME, and know very little about computers.
    1. My System Restore thing in the computer has not worked in a LONG time. Every time I would try to use it it would not matter the date I chose it would start the restore process and then tell me it was unable to do it and nothing was changed. My system has not even created a restore point since last september.
    2. about 2 weeks ago regardless of the way the computer is shut off when you reboot the scan disc thing pops up and says it was shut down improperly and will scan for problems...even when it is shut down properly. Then it just takes FOREVER to run it. Today I finally let it run its course, and it took about 6 hours to do it...very strange.
    3. I have .DLL problems here there and everywhere.
    I have run my Norton utilities which sometimes will say everything is aok, and others it will say this that or the other thing is wrong and fix it. But the problems still keep happening.
    I am afraid I need to do a system recovery...but I have tons of info in here that I need for my business, including important emails pertaining to transactions .
    Is there a way I can avoid system recovery? Is there a way to do it without loosing picture files, mp3 files and all my mail in OE?
    Sorry this is so long but I could really use some help.
    Thanks!
    God Bless
    Louise

Welcome to Speedguide momiam2six, sorry to say but everything you described are typical problems with Windows ME. Don't even bother with System Restore it never worked with ME. The shut down errors and dll errors are something that ME is plagued with. I would suggest investing in Windows XP, you can get ME to run "ok" but it is about as stable as nitroglycerin in a blender.

Welcome to Speed Guide.

If I was you, I’d purchase a CD burner so you can back your valuable and important information on to some CDs. In the event your system crashes... and doesn’t want to boot again (ME is not that great of an OS), all your important stuff will be saved. A CD burner (internal or USB) will run about $100.

After you purchase the burner (or back up your data in some other way) someone might be able to give you a hand.

I agree, ME is not that great...98 was MUCH better than this. Simply can't afford XP now though.
    When I think of the alternatives...ME or nothing....ME looks great!

Originally posted by mnosteele52
    it is about as stable as nitroglycerin in a blender.

That can't be good!

Beat me again!

MadDoc you've got to stop playing in the barn.

momiam2six Norton has known issues with ME causing problems, I would suggest not using it. Do as MadDoc said and back things up and then do a fresh install of ME and do all the Windows updates and don't install Norton.

I have a CD burner in the puter already, and have saved all my pics, but the mp3's would take a gazillion cd's to save em. He has like 750 songs on here.
    I also have no clue how to save or back up my outlook express email. I do not want to loose those. I did try to burn outlook express on a cd earlier this evening and it seemed to work but when I put the cd in our other computer it would not work right.
    Louise

http://www.outlook-express-backup.com/

First 30 days are free. Works great!!!

Originally posted by momiam2six
    I have a CD burner in the puter already, and have saved all my pics, but the mp3's would take a gazillion cd's to save em. He has like 750 songs on here.
    I put a second hard drive in my PC. I use it as a backup for all my stuff that takes too many CDs. Might work for you too.

Thanks for the link to t he outlook express backup thing it is almost done doing it now!

how many MB is 3.13 GB

Yeesh! LOL
    Thanks!
    Lousie

Stick around for a few days, and I'll walk you through some things in Dos to clean that PC up.
    How much room is left on C: drive? That may be part of the problem with restore (it takes a lot of space over time)

I'm not in the mood for doing this right now but I'll help you out since ME is all you have and you sound desperate.

You could start with a thorough virus scan, also a scan for spyware, but first disable the system restore and reboot. If you're using an old versin of Norton AntiVirus, it will get in the way of scandisk. Best to go to safe mode for scandisk, and defrag.

How bout posting the model of your PC, and any info you know about what's running in that PC.

Thanks ! That would be great!!! Whenever you feel like it is fine with me, and I sure do appreciate everyones help!

It has 14.32 GB used and 13.65 GB Free

I ran a thorough virus scan yesterday and it came up clean. I will scan for spyware...pretty sure there is some on here.
    I am using systemworks 2001. Will do another scandisc in safe mode this time.

It is a HP 7920
    I have a printer, scanner, digital camera, and webcam. Never run all at the same time.
    have a bunch of software and games installed, can list them if that would help, but it will be an extensive list.

God bless and thanks!
    Louise

Ok great, do what you can to clean it up until i can get time to help you in more detail. (or someone else wants to pitch in feel free)

To see what programs start up wiith windows go to Start>Run and type msconfig (hit enter) Then in that window go to the startup tab. Somehow get all that info in here (a screenshot would be great if you can do that) Also, the Static VXD tab info would be great too.

We're going to stop Norton from running at boot too, that is a system hog, and it has been a real pain for lots of my clients. 2001 wasn't Nortons best software.

Do you have a windows ME CD, or is it a HP restore CD?

Sounds like someone disabled pchealth and statemgr in msconfig. It's been so long since I've worked on a ME system I not sure if those were the files that control the WPM files and system restore.

Originally posted by Norm
    Do you have a windows ME CD, or is it a HP restore CD?
    It is just a HP restore cd

Broke
    ME is awesome, thats why all extreme overclockers use it.
    If your overclock can run stable on ME then it is a great overclock

I'm not sure how HP puts their restore CD.s together, or what's on them. The WinME install files may be there somewhere. I want you to give me some info, I'm off to bed soon, so I'll be back tommorow to check out the answers, and info.

1. Reread what I posted so far and see what you can do about the info already requested.

2. What antivirus do you use, and do you manually update it regularly? If it's old, as in 2001, try an online scan.

3. Check your restore CD for a folder named WinME or a folder with lots of .cab files. Let me know if it's there and if there is also a setup.exe file in the folder.

4. Scan for spyware using adaware, or spybot (best to use both) and remove all that adaware finds, and all that spybot finds marked in red.

Some options
    I know 750 mp3's take up lots of space when burned as a music CD, but if burned as a data CD, they won't take up near as much. About 100 MP3's per CD

Consider a second HD and use it to do the restore, then import any files you want from the old drive. Or get a 98 2k or XP CD. WinME really is the worst OS and repairing it can be a pain hands on let alone over the net in a forum.

Give me an idea of your PC experience level so I can limit the level of details in my responses. Dos, windows, and hardware hands on knowledge.

Originally posted by Norm

To see what programs start up wiith windows go to Start>Run and type msconfig (hit enter) Then in that window go to the startup tab. Somehow get all that info in here (a screenshot would be great if you can do that) Also, the Static VXD tab info would be great too.

I took 3 screen shots, the first 2 are both of the startup, had to take 2 because it needed to scroll down to get it all in there.
    image1 image2 image 3

We're going to stop Norton from running at boot too, that is a system hog, and it has been a real pain for lots of my clients. 2001 wasn't Nortons best software.
    I took Norton out last night