Thread: Need Recomendation for Internet Blocking

Need Recomendation for Internet Blocking

We are getting a cable line ran and a cable modem delivered today hopefully, but I am in need of software that will enable me to block site access.

Some users ONLY need to access 1) the company website and 2)an address to check company email or outlook if i set it up that way, but other sites should be blocked and access should not be allowed.

But management should have NO restrictions.

I have a Linksys router.

Any software you know of that would be decent to use, I'd much appreciate any insite. I'd also like to stop things before they start and be able to block applications like Kazaa, ICQ, other instant messengers, any clue how to do that? and be possible to allow it for a group of management that needs that stuff now and then?

Thanks
    --
    Brad

You need a proxy server - Microsoft ISA Server is in my opinion the best, but you will need Active Directory too.
    It's not cheap at around 900, plus the cost of Win2000 server to run on.

How big is the company?

This is a small business of 25 users.

We are mainly looking to block all websites except a handful that are work related, and block a few ports for certain users to stop the main chat clients. Whoops already stated the same thing above.

So I guess I need 2000 Server to do the above?

We are Running Windows NT4 sp6, yeah i know, I want to upgrade to 2000, or maby 2003 since its coming out in a few weeks... I just put in a call today to a guy to call me back and work with me on what all I need for a new server. We have SQL server 7 on it, and I would like to upgrade that to a newer version also, i figure that shouldnt be to hard to transfer our databases to sql server2000.

Any ideas about a what a good small business server is, we dont use the heck out of it or anything, just need something that can do regular backups securely, and stay up all the time running sql server.

Thanks,
    --
    Brad

tgreeneisen
    If this is a real live bussiness, I would suggest putting up a proxy server/firewall between your trusted network and the internet. You don't want your server doing this function for you. A linux box with a couple of 10mb NICs is the way to go. An old 486 does this just fine. Keep the internet away from your server.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think what we are going to do for now is just setup the managers with access, and setup one terminal so people can check mail, and do small tasks, and just wait until we upgrade the server and clients this summer to really figure out all the security settings/holes/etc...

I am taking a few networking courses this sumemr at school, so hopefully that will help me feels a little less clueless on this stuff.

Thanks Again
    --
    Brad