Thread: WD Hard Drives

Angry WD Hard Drives

My 3 month old WD 40 gig Hard drive just up and died on My daughters puter. The bios doesnt detect anything, no noises, no spinning, and none of My other computers will find it either. WD Diagonostics doesnt even find the drive? Anything I can do before I RMA that I might be missing? My daughter didnt back up her senoir project which is on there

this is dumb...

but have you tried using a differant plug??

both power(try using your cdrom's power plug) AND a differant IDE.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

it happens--it's a hard disk, but let me tell u there are much less reliable drives out there (e.g. wd's are usually most reliable..and others..such as the maxtor in my main system..i don't bet much on). put it in a plastic bag and seal it, put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes..put it back in another machine and back up any data off it (assuming it works after the freeze) it's a 40-50% chance u'll get some time with it..worth a shot..then RMA it...

Certified SG Addict
    WD's RMA process is quite excellent, so if all else fails...

Originally posted by Amro
    it happens--it's a hard disk, but let me tell u there are much less reliable drives out there (e.g. wd's are usually most reliable..and others..such as the maxtor in my main system..i don't bet much on). put it in a plastic bag and seal it, put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes..put it back in another machine and back up any data off it (assuming it works after the freeze) it's a 40-50% chance u'll get some time with it..worth a shot..then RMA it...

Hey thanks Ill give that a try, never heard of that trick before hope it works.

What does putting it in the freezer do?

Originally posted by extremeg177
    Makes it cold.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

don't know the physics of it..but it will sometimes bring a drive back for 10-30 minutes for at least partial backup..assuming no data was scraped off the platter..usually it works for those drives that die from heat wear..

I'll have to try that when my drive starts to die.

Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by extremeg177
    Amro covered it pretty well. The freezer trick can work sometimes...depending on what part of the HD actually failed. Metal contracts/shrinks when it gets cold, and the trick has worked for me a couple of times. Not on drives that aren't detected in the BIOS...those are shot, electrical failure of the board on the HD. But drives that cannot boot up, or have massive errors or seem to seize or lock up, I've had the freezer trick work for a me a couple of times. Freeze it for at least several hours so it gets thoroughly good and cold. The slave it to another computer, and quickly copy over the data you need through Windows Explorer. Or if no other computer available, sometimes you can boot up long enough to get to desktop, and copy what you need to a zip, or whatever. Since the drive was cold, it will sweat with condensation as it warms up, so what...it's dead anyways. And work quickly, as the drive will warm up as it spins...quickly failing again.

That trick recently worked for me, a client who goes out and buys their own computers at compusa or staples or some other junk house, they got their payroll girl a Presario. Ugh....most important computer in the office, gets a junk computer. Oh well, sure enough, 6 months old, and the hard drive fails. She had a zip drive, but of course, hadn't done a backup in months. She had some vital Excel spreadsheets...one was for a million dollar bid they had due the next day. Plus their payroll program, and Quickbooks. She was in deep sh|te. So I took her computer back to the shop, pulled the cover..sure enough, cheap computer, cheap Maxtor hard drive. Couldn't read the drive from our service computer, although BIOS saw it. Put it in the freezer for 6 hours....pulled it out....slaved it into service computer again, booted up, could browse it...quickly pulled the data.

Funny part is, she whined about the bill...and I saved her butt cuz she didn't back up.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!