Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SG has a port scan/security test now!

Lightbulb SG has a port scan/security test now!

Yeah, it is still being added to, however it is a start! Get it here:
    http://www.speedguide.net/scan.php

Please let us know your thoughts of it...
    Thanks!
    Ken

It is nice and fast, but I get this weird message:

Login (or register) for a more complete security scan.

Even though I am logged in, I still get this message.

Thanks for bringing that point up. A little work on the back end remains. For now, you should see an area, mid page on the left to log in. Same user name and password as the boards...
    Ken

Tried it and it worked this time. Isn't it odd that even though I am logged in to post messages, it requires a second time login for the security scan?

Anyone...?

i passed the test! what do i get??
    "I can't believe it! Reading and writing actually paid off!"

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Mondiol
    i passed the test! what do i get??
    A cookie ?
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

The scan worked good but it only goes to port 1024 and my virus set IE tcp to a port above 1024 and udp is set to 1025 lol.
    I definately have a virus Im working on and the trojan seeker did not detect it because the trojan is using a copy of sygate firewall to protect itself hahahaha. (actually this isnt funny but what can you do?)
    get ure mojo risin

bridgiejones
    Great scan! This heap of junk passed the test. woo hoo!

WireHead

Thumbs down Port Scan is on crack...

I'm running linux. My firewall allows *nothing* but ssh. Nmap from another of my systems (at a different location) says so, as do many other web-based scanning tools. Yours makes me out to be some wide-open Windows box. About the only thing it did get right was my IP.

Blog Entries

Re: Port Scan is on crack...

Originally posted by WireHead
    I'm running linux. My firewall allows *nothing* but ssh. Nmap from another of my systems (at a different location) says so, as do many other web-based scanning tools. Yours makes me out to be some wide-open Windows box. About the only thing it did get right was my IP.
    I'd appreciate some more constructive feedback... What ports were reported open ? TCP/UDP ? Were you logged in when you tried the scan, or it was the non-member one ? What IP... nmap from the server to your IP that you used to post shows no open ports...

TIA for the feedback, I can't reproduce that behaviour with our machines.
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Yeah, I'm running Linux too and while it did show a few ports open (ssh etc), it definitely didn't see my box as *any* flavor of Windows. Mine was the normal scan and I got what I expected (only a couple that seemed odd like tftp) but I have to look into that...
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Everything reported fine here. No open ports.

davidhsherman

What is shown on Linux box!

Ports 13,19,20,21,22(tcp and udp), 35,49,53,67,68,69,79,80,88,99,110 tcp/udp,113 udp,119,123,143,161 162,194,635,666,1025,1026,1027,1028,1029,1723,1863,2049,3150,5000,5631,5632,5678,6665,6666,6667,6668 ,6669,27374,31337,31789 and 31790.

I thought that the Redhat 7.3 firewall was secured. I guess I won't sleep for awhile. Some of the ports I can see being opened and not filtered.

I feel lonely!!

WireHead

Unhappy Sorry, I've been busy.

I should have answered earlier, but I was busy attending my brother's burrial.

I had a ridiculous number of ports showing, but the interesting thing was they were *all* UDP ports except for port 22 tcp (which is correct). My system does not have any UDP ports open at all. I even got nmap to goof that way by selecting the UDP scan option. I think there may be a problem with the UDP scan of nmap, which would explain the results I received here. UDP has no concept of a connection. It throws out a packet and hopes for the best. My firewall drops them on the floor instead of replying that the port is closed, so I think the lack of response is being mis-interpereted as an open port. Of course I'm not an expert at this, so I could be all wrong.

davidhsherman

I scan at home

I scanned at home with different result. At home using a Linksys router, 121 ports were scanned and all 121 ports were shown as filtered.
    I passed my results to someone else and we will talk about it next week.

Blog Entries

Re: Sorry, I've been busy.

Originally posted by WireHead
    I should have answered earlier, but I was busy attending my brother's burrial.

I had a ridiculous number of ports showing, but the interesting thing was they were *all* UDP ports except for port 22 tcp (which is correct). My system does not have any UDP ports open at all. I even got nmap to goof that way by selecting the UDP scan option. I think there may be a problem with the UDP scan of nmap, which would explain the results I received here. UDP has no concept of a connection. It throws out a packet and hopes for the best. My firewall drops them on the floor instead of replying that the port is closed, so I think the lack of response is being mis-interpereted as an open port. Of course I'm not an expert at this, so I could be all wrong.
    My condolences, sorry to hear about your brother...

You actually hit the nail on the head with your answer, UDP scans are not as reliable as TCP. I believe if you scan over 25 ports with nmap and all drop packets nmap shows them as filtered, rather than open...

If anyone is having problems with all their UDP ports showing as open, please LMK, send me a PM with your IP so I can test and try to reproduce this, TIA.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Blog Entries

Re: What is shown on Linux box!

Originally posted by davidhsherman
    Ports 13,19,20,21,22(tcp and udp), 35,49,53,67,68,69,79,80,88,99,110 tcp/udp,113 udp,119,123,143,161 162,194,635,666,1025,1026,1027,1028,1029,1723,1863,2049,3150,5000,5631,5632,5678,6665,6666,6667,6668 ,6669,27374,31337,31789 and 31790.

I thought that the Redhat 7.3 firewall was secured. I guess I won't sleep for awhile. Some of the ports I can see being opened and not filtered.

I feel lonely!!
    If many of those ports we shown as closed, rather than filtered your box is still not accepting connections to them, just that they are not filtered by a firewall...

Some of the ones that are open, like 22tcp (SSH) and 113tcp IDENT might need to be left open even if you're behind a firewall. Many firewalls leave port 113 closed, rather than filtered...
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Blog Entries
    Here is some additional infomration on NMAP:

If it scans over 25 UDP ports, and ALL of them do not respond, it assumes they are all filtered. If, however, a couple are "closed" rather than "filtered" by a firewall, i.e. if a couple return "closed" state, then all the rest are reported as open, even if they do not respond at all.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Blog Entries
    All known issues with the Security scan should be resolved now. updated version of the SG portscan up and running as of today.
    ๑۩۞۩๑