Thread: sorry for the questions, but I cant find the specific answers.

sorry for the questions, but I cant find the specific answers.

Sorry if these questions have been posted 100000x times already, but some things about networking I dont quite get. so here goes, any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated

I have a netgear rp614 4 port router/gateway.

I have it hooked up to my main computer, and so far its working fine. I hear alot that hardware firewalls that routers represent are more secure than a software firewall like zone alarm.. How is this done tho? I checked the log and it allows everything in and out so im a little confused.

If I want to hook up my 2nd computer to share files between the two comps, and use the net on it as well, do I still need ms file/print sharing disabled? If it is disabled can i still access the second comp?

how is transfering files between the computers handled? can you just copy and paste or what?

I read somewhere that some routers assign ips to all computers on the network for security, however i dont know if mine does or not, so can people from the net access both computers with the router hooked up and see what is contained in both?

sorry for the stupid noobie q's , but I need help :P

Re: sorry for the questions, but I cant find the specific answers.

I have it hooked up to my main computer, and so far its working fine. I hear alot that hardware firewalls that routers represent are more secure than a software firewall like zone alarm.. How is this done tho? I checked the log and it allows everything in and out so im a little confused.
    no idea

If I want to hook up my 2nd computer to share files between the two comps, and use the net on it as well, do I still need ms file/print sharing disabled? If it is disabled can i still access the second comp?
    no it will need to be enabled to share files but If you're just wanting to share net access it wont need to be enabled.
    If it's disabled I don't think you will be able to access the other comp (never tried it lol)

how is transfering files between the computers handled? can you just copy and paste or what?
    depends on how you do it..
    you can map network shared network drives/folders then copy files like you do as if they were on your comp
    or if they're (the shared drives/folders are) not mapped you'd have to go through network neigbhorhood and do it..

I read somewhere that some routers assign ips to all computers on the network for security, however i dont know if mine does or not, so can people from the net access both computers with the router hooked up and see what is contained in both?
    most routers have a built in DHCP server which will assign the Internal (LAN) IPs to the comps that are hooked up to it....

ppls on the internet wont/shouldn't be able to access either one of your comps unless you put one in the DMZ or if you have some ports forwarded..

ok, thanks for your help
    I have the router setup, I can access the internet with both machines, I can see the other computer from each machine (one is a 98se box, the other is xp pro)

the only other problem I have is, while I'm on the xp pro box, I can see the win98 machine, but when i click on the machine,I cannot see any files or folders, it just brings up an empty folder.

on the 98 machine, I see the xp box, but when I try to go into it from network neighborhood, it asks for a password. I did not assign any password for the admin profile when I installed xp so what is the problem? is it asking for the p w from the router or something?

SG Enthusiast
    You need to actually share a resource (printer or folder) - other machines cannot browse your whole box, just what you share.

NT-based OSs require a valid user to access. If you left admin password blank...

/*BITESTONGUE*/

...then use Administrator/<blank> as your username/password. you can map a drive from the 98 to XP and use the option to "reconnect at login" and "log in as different user" , setting the account info to Administrator/(blank)
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)