Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless networks (Some information prompted from other thread)

Blog Entries

Wireless networks (Some information prompted from other thread)

This is in partial due to the thread over here

While at work today, I left the laptop in the van running during my entire shift. While it was running, I had the program NetStumbler running in the background. This program picks up on the wireless networks that you may run through...

[disclaimer]Before I go any further, let me just say this. I did NOT enter into anyone's network, nor do I advocate doing so. This little experiment was more of a display of the lack of security that most people have on their home networks....
    [/disclaimer]

After being out in the field for about 9 hours, these are the numbers that I came up with...

Total networks seen: 118
    Total networks encrypted: 30
    Total networks unencrypted: 88

---------------------------------------------

As you can see, just a shade over 25% had their networks encrypted. And to be honest, the majority of those were of businesses, when I drove through a couple of commercial districts...

---------------------------------------------

Vendors:

3Com.......................................................1
    Acer.........................................................4
    Enterasys ................................................1
    Agere (Lucent) Orinoco...............................6
    Linksys.....................................................62
    Netgear....................................................14
    SMC..........................................................1
    D-Link.......................................................13
    Apple........................................................1
    Cisco.........................................................2
    Advanced Multimedia Internet.......................3
    Unknown...................................................9
    Z-Com.......................................................1

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that Linksys has the edge on the wireless market right now. The problem is that most of those linksys routers are being used in the default state from the factory, meaning no encryption, and an SSID of 'Linksys'...anyone with half a brain can figure out how to get into those routers, if they were so inclined...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Wireless channels

Ch.1..........................9
    Ch.2..........................1
    Ch.3..........................3
    Ch.4..........................1
    Ch.5..........................0
    Ch.6..........................85
    Ch.7..........................0
    Ch.8..........................0
    Ch.9..........................2
    Ch.10........................2
    Ch.11........................16

Again, because of routers being used in the default settings from the factory, most are set up on Channel 6. Channels 5, 7, 8, and 12 had absolutely no routers on them whatsoever...

The biggest point that I guess I'm trying to make is that it's not hard for someone to drive along and tap into a wireless network if they were so inclined. WEP encryption, I liken to a front door lock...it keeps people honest. If someone wants to get in badly enough, they're going to. Unless you WANT to offer people access to your broadband, you need to have WEP enabled...
    Last edited by Indy; 06-28-03 at 12:22 AM.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

That's pretty interesting. I setup a wireless network using Linksys's WAP/Router for my boss and I made sure that I enabled WEP, I've heard horror stories about that. Interesting read, thanx!!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Prey521
    That's pretty interesting. I setup a wireless network using Linksys's WAP/Router for my boss and I made sure that I enabled WEP, I've heard horror stories about that. Interesting read, thanx!!
    No prob...it's interesting that the days that I run with netstumbler running in the background, the ratio of wep enabled wireless networks to wep disabled is usually 5%-25%/75%-95%...there was one stretch of road today where I hit 15 networks within half a mile of each other...only 3 were encrypted...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

interesting..to say the least..

Originally posted by Prey521
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...ireless+access

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Blog Entries
    If you want an interesting read on wireless networking and overcoming distance related problems, check this site out: http://www.bekcomputers.com/wireless/index.html

Very interesting read
    ------

Originally posted by Indy
    If you want an interesting read on wireless networking and overcoming distance related problems, check this site out: http://www.bekcomputers.com/wireless/index.html

Very interesting read
    This site was featured on The Screensavers on TechTV not too long ago along with a host of others.

One of which is about Jim Soyber, an Aspen Colorado resident who set up more than 40 wifi access points around town for a 10 mile coverage area.

Blog Entries
    Out rolling around on my route today and I've already come across another 125 Wireless APs...and my day's not even halfway over with...
    ------

Blog Entries
    More results...

Let me elaborate a little about why I'm doing this...we are getting ready to launch wireless networking as one of the services that we'll be offering, and I'm trying to drive home the point to the people that will be following in my footsteps after me (installers, that is) how important it is to ensure that security is enabled.

With that said, today I drove thru a total of 232 wireless networks. Only 56 were secured. Over half the networks were using the default settings, and a number of businesses had unencrypted networks (including one medical facility that I drove by)...

Half the fun is just seeing what some people name their routers...
    ------

how does Netstumbler find the SSID

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by BaLa
    how does Netstumbler find the SSID
    Routers come with SSID broadcast enabled by default. The one's that don't show an SSID more than likely have disabled the SSID broadcast within the router...
    ------

pigfarm???

LOL

wow that sux so even if you change the SSID from Default...
    it will broadcast the SSID, which makes changing the SSID from Default to anything else useless (unless you disable the SSID Broadcast)

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by BaLa
    wow that sux so even if you change the SSID from Default...
    it will broadcast the SSID, which makes changing the SSID from Default to anything else useless (unless you disable the SSID Broadcast)
    Yep, that's essentially it...you have to disable the SSID Broadcast if you don't want the world to see your ID...
    ------

Blog Entries
    Bump for JCOS
    ------

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Bump for JCOS
    *bookmarked*

Thanks! I'll give it a good read from Starbucks this weekend. lol
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff
    *bookmarked*

Thanks! I'll give it a good read from Starbucks this weekend. lol
    hehe, forgot you're on a dial up...that pics only about 600k, but must feel like downloading an iso file
    ------

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    hehe, forgot you're on a dial up...that pics only about 600k, but must feel like downloading an iso file

iso lol blast from the past
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

insane
    Originally posted by Burke
    eBay is like Terra Eleven, a vast wasteland that not even Peter Strauss could tame.
    P IV Processor 2.4 gHZ, ECS p4 motherboard, Windows XP, 512 MB of Ram, Radeon 9500 Pro, 60 GB WD HD, 20 GB IBM HD, Verbatim CDRW,

Blog Entries
    Just some updated information...

Total networks (to date): 463
    Encrypted: 113
    Unencrypted: 350
    Using default SSID: 190

Vendors
    3Com...........................................2
    Acer...........................................16
    Enterasys (Cabletron).................1
    Agere (Lucent) Orinoco.............47
    Compaq.......................................1
    Linksys....................................206
    SMC.............................................2
    D-Link........................................57
    Netgear.....................................44
    Apple.........................................20
    Cisco (Aironet)...........................26
    Advanced Multimedia Internet.....6
    Agere (Lucent) WaveLAN.............4
    Z-Com..........................................4
    Addtron........................................1
    Sercomm......................................1
    Unknown/Unidentified...............29
    ------