Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this illegal?

Is this illegal?

I'm borrowing one of the 80 student laptops we have at school for the weekend. They have built in wireless access cards.

My question is, is it illegal to drive around the neighborhood looking for unsecured WAPs and connect to them? how about browse their network? transfer files?

thanks
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

I would think yes, for you have no authorization to access their network. What is different from what you are doing and what h4x0rs do?

That is a good question

I really do not know.

Personally I think only if you do any damage.

I know for a fact that the FBI wont do anything even if you break into a network the old way, unless government run, unless you can prove at least $5,000 damage has been done.

Reason being, FBI cannot keep up, just too mauch hacking going on. It is still illegal but nothing can really be done about it.

How I know is I spoke to a few FBI agents last year, just about that and said sorry nothing we can do.

I don't know ... police can listen in on cell phone calls without a warrant because of the way it is transmitted and is not ment(considered) to be private.... so I don't know... but if you did any tampering I would believe that to be illegal.

Is it legal? dunno.....But I doubt there is a law against finding a signal though.

Is it moral? What do you think?

Certified SG Addict
    Not sure if it's illegal, but it sounds like an ******* thing to do. They're not your files, so I think it's a matter of common sense and personal morality.

Don't hack the Gibson!
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Blog Entries
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Who cares if it is illegal or not. Do it!
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

If you've gotta ask... then it probably is.

But good luck anyone catching you. Get out your pringles can.

This is 21st century America...
    Anything you think might be illegal probably is.

So I agree with EvilAjax, just do it.

Someone in my appartment building has a WAP set up, and they don't have it encrypted. My buddy has come over once or twoce with his laptop and gotten a signal in certain parts of my appartment. We browsed the web a little and looked to see if they had any drives shared but they didn't. We did a "Netsend" message and told them to put a password on there network.
    My friend hasn't had his lappy over here since then and I have a nice DSL network set up so I could care less.

more info here: http://www.freenetworks.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Hanging out with Prince Albert Needlefreak's Avatar
    It's not yours ,dont use it...How'd you like it if I came over an used your 4 Runner or maybe I'll run a couple power cords from a outlet at your place over to mine..You would be pissed as all hell if someone did it to you..

Originally posted by Needlefreak
    It's not yours ,dont use it...How'd you like it if I came over an used your 4 Runner or maybe I'll run a couple power cords from a outlet at your place over to mine..You would be pissed as all hell if someone did it to you..
    yeah but does he leave his car unlocked (I hope not)

If you have a wireless laptop they need to put a key

Hanging out with Prince Albert Needlefreak's Avatar
    Originally posted by BaLa
    yeah but does he leave his car unlocked (I hope not)

If you have a wireless laptop they need to put a key

Locked or unlocked it dosent matter,the fact remains the same..IT"S NOT HIS TO USE..Stealing baaadddddddd mmmkayyyy....

deleted_acct
    Well some people for jobs ride around streets in front of buisnesses and try to get into the network and if they make it they tell the buisness the vulnerbilitys and the buisness pays them to fix it.

I see your point but It doesn't sound like he was planning on taking anything..(besides bandwith) which isn't something that gets lost

now if he messes around with files (delete/rename them or something) that would be a diff story..

but If he was just to drive around look for unsecured WAPs, browse the network then leave I see nothing wrong with that..
    If I had a wireless LAN it would be secured..

Certified SG Addict
    I can't believe anyone on a site dedicated to networking and security like SpeedGuide would actually advocate him even just browsing anyone else's files just because he had the opportunity to. Sounds like most of you "go for it" people are teenagers or are in a situation where you haven't paid any of your own bills for any extended period of time.

Maybe I'll stop by your houses and start rifling through your drawers to see what's there but not take anything...that'd be cool with you, right? I doubt it.

While you're at it, go get one of those tester phones the phone companies use and hook it up to your neighbors' lines and leech off the service they pay for each month.

The person(s) who own unsecured WiFi may not have taken the time or gained knowledge enough to keep others from taking advantage of it, but if anything you should send them to the networking and security forums here to help them out.

I'm not advocating anytihng..

he asked wether (sp) or not it was illegal..

Either way I believe he will do what he wants to do..
    I just gave my opinion on the matter..

The person(s) who own unsecured WiFi may not have taken the time or gained knowledge enough to keep others from taking advantage of it, but if anything you should send them to the networking and security forums here to help them out.
    they should not have WIFI then..or be made aware of it/learn about it and the dangers of it..

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by BaLa
    they should not have WIFI then..or be made aware of it/learn about it and the dangers of it..
    to the former point, and agreement with the latter. That's why I mentioned that anyone new to WiFi should be sent SpeedGuide's way to learn more about securing it properly.