Thread: NewMotherboardFeatures ~ questions

NewMotherboardFeatures ~ questions

Shopping for motherboards ~

(1) New Motherboards without IEEE 1394 ports-
    If I bought a SoundBlasterCard that has an IEEE 1394 port, I basically would be adding 1 IEEE 1394 port, that can be used with any compaitable1394 device...?

(2) New Motherboards that have the nvidia chipset-
    Most website reviews test the motherboards with a Video Card added........ I thought All Nividia Chipset Motherboards had some embedded graphics thingy happening, where as I would NOT need an video card..... ( want to buy for someone, and did not want to add a video card yet. )

Thanks-
    Last edited by BadEditor; 03-13-03 at 07:07 PM.

I think the nforce2 IGP has embedded g4 mx while the nforce2 SPP does not.

btw...what do you do in the Air Force? :d

I believe that is true... So the only other question on the Nvidia Chipset.. is...

If you bought a nforce2 IGP board, can you turn Off the Embedded Video at a later time - when you want to upgrade your graphics....

Went searching... http://www.chaintech.com.tw/eng/prod...OCKA/7NIF2.ASP <-- that motherboard looks like what i am searching for...

a board I can buy a n00b and drop in some upgrades in another year.... correct?

The closets I came to being in the AirForce was living right next to an AirForce base..... I'm just showing my interest and support for the Air Force... I would gladly give up my avatar for you...
    I just noticed your 'tag' saying that you ARE in the Air Force and with that ~ I admire you and thank you that much more

Certified SG Addict
    I'd avoid any peripheral card that functioned as anything but what it was originally designed to be. A sound card should be a sound card. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by BadEditor
    The closets I came to being in the AirForce was living right next to an AirForce base..... I'm just showing my interest and support for the Air Force... I would gladly give up my avatar for you...
    I just noticed your 'tag' saying that you ARE in the Air Force and with that ~ I admire you and thank you that much more
    Your cool man, glad to see a fan, btw...Im only in ROTC

If you buy an IEEE 1394 Add-on card by itself, you are really just buying a fancy connector, right?.... I'm talking in general terms.

I thought it seemed logical that I should buy a motherboard Without IEEE 1394 to save money... then in the future I would add the 1394 ports by way of the sound card option....

Originally posted by BadEditor
    If you buy an IEEE 1394 Add-on card by itself, you are really just buying a fancy connector, right?.... I'm talking in general terms.

I thought it seemed logical that I should buy a motherboard Without IEEE 1394 to save money... then in the future I would add the 1394 ports by way of the sound card option....
    Im not sure about soundblasters deal with the IEEE, someone else on the boards should know. I have hercules sound.

A while back it could have saved you money but now IEEE is just like USB...basically a dime a dozen. If your friend doesnt do anything extreme then go for a board with an imbedded g4mx. Id recommend the abit nf7 m or the upcoming epox 8rga+. If he is a big gamer though Id say get him a regular nforce2 SPP and maybe just a g2mx or something and then ebay it when he gets a serious board.

Certified SG Addict
    I would honestly say that a good motherboard with onboard FireWire is the best way to go. In fact, I personally would get everything onboard when possible, except for sound, video or RAID (some would say LAN, too, but for 99% of people onboard LAN is just as good as an ethernet card). For those, use separate cards.

~ Thanks for the Replys! I dropped outta the conversation there for a moment....

(1) I'm going to keep checking out nvidia boards, now that I know exactly what chipset I need to look for, and the Abit looks just fine for the job....

(2) I keep flipping around about 2 versions of the same board...

more info here http://www.msicomputer.com/product/c...hipset=sis_655

The 655 Max-LS version is cheaper and easier to get than the 655 Max-FISR

Any warnings about MSI? I'm not a overclocker, 'just a shoot blocker...'
    Last edited by BadEditor; 03-13-03 at 07:06 PM.

UPDATE! ~ oh crap the [H] [ www.hardocp.com ] has a brand new review of the board i'm thinking about buying - just noticed, off to do some reading!

----Edit---- Ok Done Reading now... shot down in flames, I will not be getting the Max655 board now.. hahahaa...

blah.. guess I'll just pick something the day I'm actually ready to place the order.. I have some good choices, just need to place an order and be happy with it.. talk at ya later-
    Last edited by BadEditor; 03-13-03 at 07:36 PM.