Thread: what would be the minimum requirments to

what would be the minimum requirments to

build a comp that would be strictly for DVD playing.

play it smoothly, but thats all that it will be doing.

dont even need it to have super sound.

Get one of those via epia boards, they are cool!

Has a built in Lan, sound, tv out, mpeg2 decoder, cpu, very quiet, no cpu fan required.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

i have an old pentium iii 600 mhz that can play dvd smooth... heck... you dont need much... just make shure the video card is dvd compliant (almost all are these days) and make shure that you have a DVD drive!
    Originally posted by Burke
    eBay is like Terra Eleven, a vast wasteland that not even Peter Strauss could tame.
    P IV Processor 2.4 gHZ, ECS p4 motherboard, Windows XP, 512 MB of Ram, Radeon 9500 Pro, 60 GB WD HD, 20 GB IBM HD, Verbatim CDRW,

Originally posted by schlurpee
    Get one of those via epia boards, they are cool!

Has a built in Lan, sound, tv out, mpeg2 decoder, cpu, very quiet, no cpu fan required.
    im not sure about those EPIAs for DVD playback

ProjectTwin on the [h] forums (the person who built the chevy avalanche PC) was having trouble playing back DVDs at a nice FPS.

im not totally sure though.. read his thread on the cool cases forum.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Originally posted by Hopeful
    i have an old pentium iii 600 mhz that can play dvd smooth... heck... you dont need much... just make shure the video card is dvd compliant (almost all are these days) and make shure that you have a DVD drive!
    i have to have a DVD drive????

teehee

thinking about getting this

i already have a 900 celeron and RAM

i got a old 6 gig hard drive, WD caviar
    radeon 7000 32meg with svideo out
    onboard audio should be plenty
    also my pops is gonna make the box.... so its super small
    it will be to play divx and DVD's

oh and yea... i'll need to purchase a DVD drive....

so now the question is this.... is it worth it to build this or just buy a crappy low end DVD player

got a buncha divx... and most likely they will be played off of the network... so i dont have to burn em

You better put a HECK of a screen on this bad boy
    eBay is like Terra Eleven, a vast wasteland that not even Peter Strauss could tame.
    P IV Processor 2.4 gHZ, ECS p4 motherboard, Windows XP, 512 MB of Ram, Radeon 9500 Pro, 60 GB WD HD, 20 GB IBM HD, Verbatim CDRW,

You better put a HECK of a screen on this bad boy
    whatya mean?

im hookin it up to my family room tv.... i think its like 36 inch or something.... aint to big....

Originally posted by monkeyhead
    whatya mean?

im hookin it up to my family room tv.... i think its like 36 inch or something.... aint to big....
    yeah a computer screen would be insufficient unless you got a nice flat panel... but hooking to tv is even better!... why dont you just buy a dvd player?

hehe, check this out...i want one of

These

I know its tom's but you get the point

yeah a computer screen would be insufficient unless you got a nice flat panel... but hooking to tv is even better!... why dont you just buy a dvd player?
    well the reason for not getting a dvd player is cause, i have spare parts lying around which might mean i only need to get a DVD drive for 40 beans..... i do have a micro atx mobo... only problem is i cant install winxp, 2k, only 98/me on it..... its got some issue....

so anyway also cause i have a file server thats got like 150 something movies on it.... and well i dont want to burn and watch... id rather play them off the network... and if im gonna build a comp to do that, i might as wel just throw in a DVD drive...

Get a Playstation II

edit* just read your above post..can't pull files off the net with your PS II but you CAN play GTA Vice City!!! woohoo!!
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

Originally posted by Jstyr
    Get a Playstation II

edit* just read your above post..can't pull files off the net with your PS II but you CAN play GTA Vice City!!! woohoo!!
    the last console i will ever own is and was the the nintendo 64

vie city will eventually come out for pc

I could play DVD's On my PII 300mhz 32mb of ram. Of course it had a hardware decoder.
    P4EE 3.2Ghz, 2GB Ram, Gigabyte 6800Ultra, 80GB Barracuda, 120GB WD 8Meg XP/PRO

Dell Studio XPS 16

My VR4
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/654722

Asus P2B
    Pentium 3 500MHz
    2x Micron 128MB PC133 @ PC100
    1x Samsung 256MB PC133 @ PC100
    400W ATX PSU
    Radeon 7200 w/ VIVO
    3Com 3C905B-TX
    Creative SB Live! Value
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA/100
    CD-ROM
    FDD

Those are the specs of my movie comp and it has trouble playing
    SVCDs from the CD-ROM (after about an hour it starts to skip and the video is fine --checked on a faster comp)

I havn't had the time to carefully diagnose the problem yet

It actually has a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW. I think the DVD drive is defective though. However I still have the problem when I use the CD-RW which I'm 99.9% sure works flawlessly.
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application

are you just wanting to play only dvd's on the computer... if so why waste your cash, I would just buy a dvd player and 5.1 surround sound package and use ur t.v
    If it aint broke don't try to fix!!

http://sangatte.no-ip.com/mike/home.html

------------------------------------------------

AMD XP 1800 running @ 1.54 MHZ, 256 MB DDR, Geforce 440 MX 64 MB, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, 10/100 mbit NIC card - connected to a DLink router running a 1mbit/256 cable connection, 2 x 60 gb maxtor 7200 hard disks, 1 x IBM deskstar 80 gb 7200 hard disk, 17 inch Packard Bell Monitor... Windows 2000 Pro