Thread: IS MS spying on us?

IS MS spying on us?

Got this from lockergnome.com

Inside Windows Update

http://www.tecchannel.de/betriebssys...126/index.html

There may be more going on with that fancy Windows Update than Microsoft has led everyone to believe. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I have no reason to believe that there is some super-secret database within Microsoft's campus that's collecting all sorts of juicy information about you, but I do find it concerning that they are now apparently transmitting a laundry list of installed software during the Windows Update process. I suspected that something was up because the Windows Update functionality itself has changed very little, but with regularity, I'm prompted to install a new ActiveX control in order to proceed. I never click the little box to trust Microsoft because I want to know precisely when this is done.

TecChannel tapped into an undocumented API that lets them view the data streams being passed back and forth, revealing some interesting facts. SSL? Well, yes, this information is encrypted as it floats down the wire, but TecChannel is peeking at the data before it is encrypted. The gory details beyond a general overview require a small fee, but includes utilities that will allow you to use the same techniques they have in order to judge for yourself whether you don't like what's being sent. Not that there's much you could do about it, but understanding precisely what's happening is important, in my opinion
    Cancer Baaaaaad! Folding Goooood!

thanks!

been lover of lockergnome for about 4 years now myself.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Well, from what I've read, they have a new user agreement that comes with the latest service pack.

And check out Norm's post from last week. That's scary.

I still don't like the fact that, since I installed 2000, I can't get net access without giving permission to a program called c:\WINNT\System32\Services.exe
    IE used to be enough with 98.

If you use XP Pro....you have the ability to use disk/file encryption. I wonder if MS has the key????

Looks like I'll be using a thrid party program to encrypt the contents of certain folders.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Something awry with what Norm said, I can get access if service.exe is disabled. It is possible that some other internal service depends on services.exe, such as zone alarm etc etc.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

SG Elite
    Originally posted by TonyT
    Something awry with what Norm said, I can get access if service.exe is disabled. It is possible that some other internal service depends on services.exe, such as zone alarm etc etc.
    Shutting off certain Services will eliminate most of the "phone home" issues in XP. I use ZoneAlarm Pro, and I altered the settings so that every program -- regardless of how "important" a Windows component it is -- has to ask permission to access the Internet the first time it tries. After some tinkering, one of the ones to deny right away I've found is "svchost.exe" when it tries to act as a Server. I've not allowed it access and never had a single hiccup when going online.

For example, here's what my Services setup looks like:

Nice. I'll have to compare your list to mine.

Originally posted by Burke
    Shutting off certain Services will eliminate most of the "phone home" issues in XP. I
    Phone home issues......

I am new to XP. Can you fill me in on what this is all about?

Jon