Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EVERYONE PLZ READ! I'm in serious trouble...

Certified SG Addict
    Thine hands shall be rapped with this hyeah ruler.

I still haven't been able to get on my computer. I unzipped the ntoskrnl.exe John made for me, extracted it through DOS with the DOS unzipper SOC recommended... I was all hyped when I finally found out what my System32 directory was through DOS (C:\WINDOW~1\WXPVOL~1\I386\SYSTEM32\). That doesn't sound right... I don't think it is. When I unzipped it, there was no prompt for overwriting. It just inflated it there... so I probably moved it to the wrong System32 folder... Everytime I try C:\Windows\System32 it says invalid directory. Anyway, I'm going to download the setup disks from the Microsoft website... maybe there's a recovery method through that. I NEED to get onto my computer... I have an overdue 5 page book report (only 1 page done so far )

Is there anymore guidance?
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

Originally posted by Sid
    If you d/led the sp1 network install file then you can extract it from there. The problem is you need to get into recovery console to fix it. Take 6 floppies to your local library or community college and d/l them.

Here the link for pro

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    How do I get to recovery console w/ the disks? I'm about to download them right now... I need instructions before I head home so I wont be stumped... I hope this finally works.

Wanna get pwned?

Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

Yep just use the Recovery Console and fix it, look here. You can run it from the XP disk if need be, once you get it all straight install the Recovery Console to your OS, it can be a lifesaver.

I just downloaded the 6 setup disks... about to head home. Hopefully, I'll be speaking to you from MY computer in a few hours. So all I have to do is press R when the command prompt comes up?

I hope this works... wish me luck.

See you in a bit.... Thanks to all who have helped, I really appreciate it.

Wanna get pwned?

Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

by now you could have moved your hard drive to another comptuer as the slave and fixed the situation , all through windows
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

WTF! I tried the 6 disk setup, and when I inserted the 5th disk, it gave me an unexpected error. Something about ntfs.sys or something... I noticed this while it was unloading FAT from the disk onto the system... It said press any key to continue... then it friggin restarted! I was so pissed.... I still haven't gotten into Windows. You say slave the hard drive as if it were simple... don't forget that I live in NYC... not everyone is as friendly as they are in your neck of the woods. Besides... WinXP is rare for computer users (that I know)... they all have Win98 and such... I feel like killing my friend for losing my damn CD. Does anyone know why the damn 5th disk wont work? Is it because I'm running a NTFS system instead of FAT? WHY THE HELL DID THE COMPUTER STORE INSTALL A FAT SYSTEM?!?! When I told him the problem, he said bring the cpu over... if the problem is "complicated" it will cost me $60.... WTF is he nuts? Just for a reinstallation/recovery WHATEVER. It isn't even hardware related. Anyway, I thought I would give ya'll feedback. As for my 5 page book report... I still haven't been able to do it... I really dislike typing a report at any other computer besides mine... so screw libraries-I honestly rather kill homeless children. I'm sorry--this is all too damn aggravating.

I remember prey said that if I have a subdirectory of WinXP in my computer, then I could run the recovery console through there. It's in my D: drive which is a partition from C. I think the folder is titled WXPVOL or something... How would I go about it at Command prompt? Every time I try to browse to my D: drive it doesn't allow me. Please show me step by step to get into the recovery console through the WXP installation files... CABs... whatver. I need serious assistance.... please.

Wanna get pwned?

Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

Now I know I'm screwed... no one browses the software forum. damn!

Wanna get pwned?

Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

Originally posted by EvilAjax
    Now I know I'm screwed... no one browses the software forum. damn!
    Plenty of people browse the software and hardware forums.

By now this is as far from a "quick question" as you can get

I'm not much in hardware or software, but at this point maybe the best bet woulod be to ask a couple of quick questions in the hardware forum on how to slave a drive.

It's really not too hard and at this point might be the easiest option. If I knew the answers on how to do get your system up again through software I'd give specifics but I don't.

I woiuld give my friend" who "lost" the cd a swift kick in the ass next time I saw him though. At least twice.

Dont worry... I'll knock him out.

Setup disks wont work then? Any idea why the ntfs.sys gave an error? Do you think I got a virus from the stupid ntoskrnl.exe?

Wanna get pwned?

Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

Originally posted by EvilAjax
    Dont worry... I'll knock him out.

Setup disks wont work then? Any idea why the ntfs.sys gave an error? Do you think I got a virus from the stupid ntoskrnl.exe?
    Have you run a full scan to see if it is a virus?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Maybe I have missed it but you can start System Restore in XP after hitting F8 during startup. Why not just restore the computer to a day before the big problem?

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Worse came to worse.. I had to format back to Windows 98. The bad thing was that it had to erase everything because XP was running on NTFS... EVERYTHING is gone... all my programs, word docs... is there anyway that the D: drive is still here somehow? Maybe not.... damn... I need to make a D: Partition that is UNTOUCHABLE no matter how many formats.

Wanna get pwned?

Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

coolyo

There is help

Last edited by coolyo; 09-08-04 at 05:05 PM.