Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Win2000 --- problems

I'm confused..... so it DOES boot to CD?

Anyway- it's getting this error because an install had already started, so it's now viewing that file as corrupt.

You HAVE to wipe out that C:\ partition you created before- do you have a copy of Norton Ghost with GDISK floating around?

PM me if you don't.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Well, the BIOS is currently set to boot to A first. It wasn't booting to the CD, but making the new Win98 boot disk with CD-ROM support allowed me to get to the CD through DOS.

Now that I've gone through the partial setup process once, it boots into the 2000 setup thing whether the CD is in or not.

No, don't have Ghost.

Yes- that's because it has partially begun an install, that was never completed.

PM me- I will lead you to the Promised Land.......

I guess I've been taken out of the loop.
    One friggin mistake and I'm fired?

Well, hows it going?

Bad sectors on the HD?

hehehe.
    Not out of the loop at all.
    Here's what's happened: I got rid of the partition and everything and started over (and went to taco bell )

But.... I'm essentially still at the same place because the STOP error has happened again.

After wiping everything clean, I rebooted and went through the 4 floppy install process only to encounter the same error:

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
    IF this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again..... etc. etc.

I restarted without the floppy and it stopped after the BIOS screen saying "CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR" and left a blinking cursor.

So..... I restarted with the W2k disk in and it took me through the whole 4 disk process AGAIN. Again, I got the same STOP error, restarted and am
    back at the "CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR" message and the blinking cursor.

so.... yuck.

I've done a little reading....
    maybe hardware incompatibility?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314474

The link doesn't define exactly what the cause of the problem is, but it tells us that a file is corrupt. It could be bad ram, bad sectors on the HD, and possibly other bad hardware.

I would suggest you try taking out everything but the vid card and ram and try again. If you have other ram you could swap, that would be my next guess.

I was leaning towards bad sectors on the HD earlier today. Still think that's what it is, but can't be sure without testing it. If you have a known good HD you could see if the install goes ok on it.

You could also use the 98 boot disk to make a partition and format it. If done this way, bad sectors will be marked and not used by the OS. Extra test/fix would be to run scandisk c: /surface /autofix from the 98 boot disk.

Being an old machine that sat for a while, I would lean towards bad sectors on the HD

I remembered your recommendation in the earlier thread about scandisk, so I did that from the Win98 boot disk (after the original format) back before I started the 2000 install. It did a surface scan (took about 45 minutes) and found no errors. Shouldn't that mean that the hdd is OK?

Hardware.... Um.... here's the problem. I can't get into the case. I tried before the install so that I'd know the hardware in case I needed drivers, but it has a lock on the front. My friend is in florida for the next few days and I'm almost sure he doesn't have the key anymore (or never did - office got rid of the comp). So I don't know where that leaves me. 98 maybe? I hate being a failure at my first install.

The first try actually went further than this. At least then I was able to get to the partitioning screen. Why can't I now? The only thing I can think of that was different was that I did the "sys c" from the boot disk.

[EDIT] After further reading, it seems that people are also getting this error when installing XP. This guy even had it when updating to SP3.
    Last edited by torsten; 02-26-03 at 10:31 PM.

Hmmm, I guess bad sectors have been ruled out. Too bad about the lock, it would be nice if you could remove, or swap out, some other parts.

sys c: only puts system files on the HD and makes it bootable in 98. That's not the problem.
    95 was dropping to Dos mode before it got to the desktop (although you stated 95 worked before this PC was stored), and that had me thinking a video card problem, still may be that. Heck, there are a few possibilities, but without access to test/swap parts, not much you can do.

You could try (totally from the 98 startup disk) using fdisk to remove all partitions, recreate a primary, then reboot and format right away. Then try a 98 install, or if you feel up to it, try the 2k install again.

Somehow, a file or more, is getting corrupted from the time it is read from the CD, and written to the HD, to the time you reboot and try to access it again.

Maybe 98's not such a bad idea, at least as a test. That way, if it works, I can rule out malfunctioning hardware. At that point it would seem to be a 2k incompatibility.

But not until tomorrow. I'm not sure I can take another blue screen today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by torsten
    Maybe 98's not such a bad idea, at least as a test. That way, if it works, I can rule out malfunctioning hardware. At that point it would seem to be a 2k incompatibility.
    Exactly what I was thinking. You don't have many options since you can't remove some of the hardware.

It may just end up being an incompatibility inherent in 2K.

Good luck

I know what you mean about "I'm not sure I can take another blue screen today", they tend to wear me out some days as well.

Hey Norm... you weren't out of the loop.... just MIA. We thought you ran down to the corner store for some refreshments .

Anyway, the specific error also terminates with cdboot: ntldr is missing. So it's not finding / seeing the boot sector, or the boot sector is corrupt. He ran GDISK on the drive, (it will usually see any non-dos partitions... I was thinking there could have been a utility partition fdisk wouldn't see) and then DISKWIPE'd the drive.

This is perplexing... wish I could get my hands on it.

Thorsten, if you're up for it, and want to risk another bsod, wanna' gdisk it again? Same steps as before, but we'll wipe and reinitialize the master boot record.

gdisk

gdisk 1 /del /all (deletesall partitions)

gdisk 1 /mbr /wipe (wipes MBR)

gdisk 1 /mbr (reinitializes mbr)

now reboot pc with no discs- you'll should see No oper system found- that's OK.

shut down, and start the install process over again.

The (long) story:
    I tried the above route. After doing all the gdisk stuff I got a "NO ROM BASIC, System Halted"
    Went through the floppy install and got the blue screen again during the 4th floppy. Oh well.

I remembered that I had gotten further by using the CD so I decided to try that again as a last resort. I used the 98 disk to fdisk (primary partition) and format again. Rebooted with CD support to access the E: drive, then started the install from the CD. When I got to the partition screen, it again did not give an option to delete a partition, so I just pressed enter to install in the main partition. Then I got to the same place where it claimed "Setup cannot copy the file: cdosys.dll" I skipped that file and also had to skip the files danin.dll, mpg4ds32.ax, and d3dramp.dll for the same reason.

I got through almost the entire setup (to "perfoming final tasks") before getting the error: "Setup cannot copy the file classes.zi_" Then, "unable to install Java packages from C:\WINNT\Java\classes\classes.zip" but I just clicked "skip" or "OK" and things went on.

and on, and on, and on, and on.........
    for over an hour!

Finally it started asking for admin passwords, and before you know it, said it needed a final restart. &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I did and.....

I HAVE WIN 2000 installed !!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't done a thing with it, so I don't know if it really works, and am kinda worried about all those files it didn't copy. I have to leave right now, but I'll be back and testing it tonight.

Even if I have to eventually go to 98, I'm still ultrahappy that it seems to have worked. yippie yow yow yow. :2cool:

Thanks to you guys for all your help !!!

Wow! You are either a very patient man, or possessed !

That's pretty incredible. Kind of concerns me that it would proceed further, and then couldn't read files it had written to the disk. I'll be curious to see if it actually runs OK, or gives you problems.

This was a wierd one for sure.

ps- give your buddy his PC back; tell him you're having your phone disconnected; then Move !!

Thumbs up

Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Good going there Torsten, never say die

Don't stop NOW!!
    Go get the service packs lol

Obviously I have no firm answer to what all these problems are, it could be a scratched cd, it could be a lot of things.

One thing comes to mind, because I just recently came across it myself.... In the BIOS setup, a setting for fastgate A20 or similar has been a problem for newer OS's. Just a shot in the dark like the rest, but worth a try.

I've been playing with it some. Seems to be OK. No crashes or crazy things. I haven't had much time yet, so I've just done some customizations and getting net access and firewall working (posting this from the old beast right now).

I did try to get the sp2 update, but couldn't because after I clicked on the exe it said it couldn't connect to site. That was strange, so I didn't try any further. Not sure I wanna risk that after all this work anyway. The net access is a strange issue in itself. When I first plugged into the NIC, it was working fine, but then stopped. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 progs that were trying to get out that I had blocked. One is called c:\WINNT\System32\Services.exe It asked for permission even before I started IE. I didn't like that, but now that I've tested it, it's the key to my net access. What's with that? With Win98, the only thing I had to give permission was IE. I'm just paranoid that it's some kind of MS spy program.

The reason I stay with 98 (SE) is because anything later is a rat.

One of my clients (against my recommendation) installed a copy of XP Pro on his PC. Within 2 or 3 weeks he got a letter from MS telling him he had pirated software on his machine. No threat along with it, but a mention that he should remove it.