Thread: Cat5

Cat5

1.) How far can a signal transfer over cat5 (twisted pair) before it has to be regenerated? (I need the actual standard.)

2.) Also does anyone know where i can get prices from a company selling 100+ computers?

3.)Also licensing software from Microsoft and the cost.

T.I.A
    Current Rig:
    AMD Athlon Barton 2500+ (Volcano 9);Asus A7N8X-E; Geforce 6800; Samsung 512mb PC-2700 DDR333; 80gig WD Special Edition HardDrive; DVD-ROM; Cendyne CDRW; Sound Blaster; WinXP

Cat5 is good to 100 meters/328 ft. That's the standard it has to meet before it's called Cat5

cat5 max is 100m per segment. Otherwise you need a repeater of sorts.

whoops... Norm your fast..
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Originally posted by koldchillah

whoops... Norm your fast..
    You're thorough

I forgot to mention you can use a repeater to extend past the standard. Also, in the real world, if you do a good job, a few more feet on the cable will still pass the Cat5 tests. Other than length of course.

Keep in mind that includes all patch cables from the station to the HUB (or whatever). Usually you got one from the wall plate to the workstation (10 - 15 feet) and another in the wire closet from the patch panel to the HUB or router. (3 - 6 feet)

Stef

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

Or proceed to use fiber.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff
    Or proceed to use fiber.
    Homer voice: oooooohhh.. fiber...

Possibly in a few months they are going to be laying a fiber pipe between our two buildings at work. That way we can get all three sister company networks on the same domain and digital phone system. That would make my job so much easier..
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

pweegar
    If you live in a large metro area check your phonebook. Ikon is fairly good. They can supply 100+ pc's w/o a problem, even install the OS and software, etc. They should also be able to give you a good price on MS licensing (and for a 100+ pc's, depending on the software it wil be EXPENSIVE)

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Homer voice: oooooohhh.. fiber...

Possibly in a few months they are going to be laying a fiber pipe between our two buildings at work. That way we can get all three sister company networks on the same domain and digital phone system. That would make my job so much easier..
    Do they need a fiber installer/splicer?

<<<<<<<<
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff
    Do they need a fiber installer/splicer?

<<<<<<<<
    LOL.. If I was IT director I would definitely consider havin' ya down.. but unfortunately our IT director has friendly local connections and has already begun negotiating and planning. The company hasn't said anything about when the budget will be available, but as our company network grows, so does the need to get both these building and all 3 domains & phone systems connected. Plus we need to establish a good backbone.. right now we're 100% switched.
    Was there till 1am tonight moving over one of the depts that can't stand being over in the other building on the crappy Toshiba phone system.. This NEC2400 in this building rocks!! It will really rock when we get EVERYBODY in both buildings on it.. I'm not a big fan of the Vodavi either and they run that garbage up on the 4th flr next door... had fun with that one earlier in the afternoon..

sorry.. I just went off on a post-work shift expulsion... been there a little too long today, last night.. whatever time it is.. (3:00am) .. thank god I'm off tomorrow, er today, and on vacation starting Friday @ 7:30pm FOR A WEEK!!! WOOHOO!!

haha the rest of our crew is gonna be hatin' life next week while I'm gone... Lots and lots of premise wiring to do and I'm the guy who does wiring & network deployment the best (except fiber I don't know squat).. guess someone else is gonna have to grap the fish tape, crimpers, & punch down , and step up to the plate this time..