Thread: Motherboard swap

Motherboard swap

Quick question that I should know the answer to....

If I swap out motherboards, am I going to have to do a complete OS reinstall ? Considering an upgrade to a ECS L4S8A or ECS L4S8A2 or an Asus P4S8X with AGP 8X for my new vid card.....when I get it.......

Comments on mobos anyone ?
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Venge This!
    depends on the chipset. if its a different type of chipset...most likely yes. For example i upgraded my kt3 ultra to an albatron kx400+ OS booted right up and all i had to install was usb 2.0 drivers
    Rob

I'm not an Intel guy, but I would reinstall. You can try the "plug and play" method, but since you're getting a nice new shiny mobo, why not give it a fresh start? That way if you do have to troubleshoot something, you don't have to worry if the old mobo drivers are causing the problem.

always reinstall, its the best way to go!

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    always reinstall, its the best way to go!
    yep otherwise it will cause headaches down the road..