Thread: Werid LAN Access Problem

sian

Unhappy Werid LAN Access Problem

Hi all,
    I have a problem I hope you guys can solve for me. I have 3 computers in a LAN setup. Let me call them A,B and C. All 3 computer uses windows XP. A has a shared folder which I want B and C to access. On the B computer, if I log on using my brother's account. I cannot access A's shared folder. However if I use another account on Computer B, I can access A's folder. Log back to my brother's account and I still cannot access the folder. Before this has happened, I used to able to access the folder using my brother's account. The problem occur when my brother access the folder too many times using the wrong userid and password and denied access.

Now for Computer C, I have another problem. I can access C from A and B. I can access C and A from B. But I cannot access A from C, no matter what account I created. This is werid as C can access B and B can access C too. Earlier I wrote that A can access C and yet C cannot access A. This is a fusturing problem as no mattar I do. I just simply cannot access A from C. According to the network place on C, I can see A. But when I click on A, a error message appear, saying C do not have the logon access to A and ask me to contact the admin. I have set the shared Folder on A to be accessible by everyone and everyone can write, read and execute.

I have installed nwlink netbios and nwlink ipx/spx. I have use the Network ID, change name and change workgroup.

Therefore I beg anyone with solutions for the above two problems to step forward and advise me. Thanks

With winxp when you set up user accounts did you make all user adminstrator or just one .?Because it sound like you only have one set up.The user that is set to be the adminstrstor can see the hole network were as just a user may not be able too unless you set each user up to do so.You can go to the control panel and click on user accounts and see who is set up as a adminstrator.when a non adminstrator user make a change to the computer it only effects that user were as the adminstrator
    user effects the hole computer. It sound like your brother is the adminstrator on his computer name and you are not.

sian

Wink

Thank you for replying. =>

all accounts is have admin rights. The first problem occurs when my brother tried to map a drive letter to my shared folder in computer A. After a few failed attempts, he cannot access the computer A at all using his account. Only when he change to another admin account which I created, he is able to access the shared folder. Note that he map the drive using a admin account on computer A.

By the way, computer is set to DMZ and all three computers are linked together with a router. The router is connected to a cable modem.

what protocol do you have installed

sian
    TCP/IP, nwlink netbios and nmlink IPX/SPX.

My second problem appears to be solved when I created an account on the computer C which has the same userid and password on the computer A.

Now this boils down to the same problem as the first problem: the old account cannot access the shared folder on computer A while the new account can access the shared folder on A. I wonder is that any way to make the account to "forgot" that it has been denied access by A before and allow to let me at least see the logon request?

can't you remove the old user and add a new one

Yea, just logging into the same account on all computer will solve that problem.

Otherwise yo can turn on the guest account which will work guarenteed. But turning on the guest account is a security risk, it's not that bad but always remember it's a hole.

sian

Smile

okay, thanks for reply