Thread: The Best?

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar

The Best?

My Linky Cable Modem is going out the door. I want to pick the best Cable modem i can get. All you Network gurus need to through some Models out there, from personal experiance. Money is not a issue. Just want the best, be it overkill or not. Thanks in advance on all the info.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

Is it dying on you and do you own it or are you leasing it from your ISP?

It let out a nice burning smell and that was it won't power on. I own it. So it's time for a new one.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

I see, it decided to BBQ itself. I'm quite familiar with that, as my motherboard did the same thing several weeks ago.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about getting the 'best' modem possible. There shouldn't be a performance difference so just get one that's supported by your ISP.

I was just about to order this one. Heard any bad things?

This One
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

I have no personal experience with Toshiba cable modems, thought from what I've read/heard, some of the Toshibas seem to be a customer favorites.

Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
    I was just about to order this one. Heard any bad things?

This One
    I am seeing more and more Toshibas on the job lately. I haven't had one not synch up yet! They seem compact, well built and at least equal if not better to others in throughput. I posted this before, but I have seen at least 4 dead Linksys modems right out of the box. To be fair though, the percentage was quite low. Linksys and Motorola used to rule the home market, but Toshiba is showing up in more and more homes. I believe it is a good modem.

'Mo

This COM21 modem is the only modem my Insightbb system is selling and installing new right now. Haven't had any major problems. Can freak a tech out because they sometimes take 3-5 minutes to initially synch, but no real problems. The old 3COM sharkfin would synch in 30 seconds. Does it mean anything? NO - some modems run diagnostic tests which take some time.

'Mo

Originally posted by bigmo66
    I posted this before, but I have seen at least 4 dead Linksys modems right out of the box.
    Doesn't surprise me. I'm beginning to hate Linky and their products.

I've been using a Toshiba PCX1100U for around 2 years now without any problems. I get great speeds at around 3200 kbits/s with Cox HSI.

I can't comment on the Linky modem but I haven't had any problems with my router or NIC's. The V 5.1 NIC I'm using now is new but only because I thought it was time to replace my 5 year old V2 which still works great in one of my older machines.
    "A never ending quest for knowledge as with knowledge comes wisdom"

Main System running Windows XP Pro: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz, 1 Gig Ram, 2 80 gig WD 7200 rpm HD's, Radeon 9200 Pro, Envision EN9110 19" LCD Display, HP 9500 CD-RW, D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter, D-Link DI-704P Router, Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem with Cox HSI

Thanks for all the info, I ordered the Toshiba 2200, From what i've read and heard i should be happy with it.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry