Thread: Can surf the net; can't connect to gaming servers!!

zealot16

Angry Can surf the net; can't connect to gaming servers!!

Last night, I was experimenting with my network configuration and made changes to some settings based on what I had read in some forums. My internet browsing speed is great. I can connect to every internet site and I can download files. I am on a cable and have never had problems before.

But the strangest thing is happening... I can browse the net with no problems, but when I try to connect to a gaming server like Counter-Strike, I can't connect! It says "Connecting to xxxxxxx" but it won't connect. It retrys four times then says it couldn't connect! Also, I can't connect to mIRC servers... can't conncet to BF1942 servers... can't connect to Anarchy Online! However, with All-Seeing-Eye, I can check on the status of servers... the program launches me to the server but simply won't connect!!

Please help!

I have never been able to figure out networking, but have you checked to be sure your router is forwarding the ports that you need ? I believe CS is 27015 or some of those right in that region.

You can try that and some other numbers until the real pros show up.

Good luck, man.

Originally posted by mountainman
    I have never been able to figure out networking, but have you checked to be sure your router is forwarding the ports that you need ? I believe CS is 27015 or some of those right in that region.
    CS doesn't require any ports to be forwarded to play.

zealot16,

how about you start by stating your setup plus what changes you made.
    P4 2.4ghz 512ram XP pro ATI 9600pro
    P4 2.0ghz 256ram Win2000 Geforce2 MX 400
    P4 1.6ghz 512ram XP Home Geforce4 Ti4200
    P3 866mhz 320ram ME & XP pro TNT2
    All thru HotBrick 600
    P3 1.1ghz 260ram Win2000 laptop

zealot16
    AMD 2700xp
    768 DDR-3200 RAM (Corsair)
    Windows XP Home
    GF4 Ti 4600
    3COM NIC
    Zone Alarm installed, but not active

I changed something under controlpanel/network/configuration/ then something dealing with network optimization: CPU or Throughput and autonegotiation.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what I changed. Whatever I changed, its keeping me from logging into gaming servers and mIRC.