Thread: upgrading my mountain bike ... some help?

upgrading my mountain bike ... some help?

Hey all of you bikers:

I have a Specialized mountain bike that is getting a little old. Now, everything on it works pretty well (gears, wheels, tires, etc) except the suspension fork. It is completely compressed when I get on it since it is so old.

Do you guys think that I can replace that pretty easily? Also, where would you recommend getting one? (There are no local places that sell them.)

Thanks for all your help. Would some pics help?

(PS. I want to get back into mountain biking.)

Now's the time to get a new fork....

and unless your kinda handy...let a bike place do it.

some things you also should replace.....A new headset..

I take it your setup use's a clamp around the steering tube? Instead of the older bolt?

It's really not too hard but getting a new headset compressed is a hassle if you have no clue what your doing.

Last years forks can cost a ton less than new models. Also it sounds like your older fork just uses them foam disc pads...they wear out and can be changed with ease...

Here's some links...I've ordered from all the places listed below and they all have given me great service..

http://www.pricepoint.com/

http://www.cambriabike.com/

http://www.bikesource.com/

http://www.jensonusa.com/

http://www.universalcycles.com/

Sidenote...you also need to know the size of your tube...More than likely an inch and a quarter..
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

What sort of shocks are they? What year and model bike...RockHopper? StumpJumper?

My StumpJumper has an old set of Quadra suspension forks (I think that's the right model). Depending on what model you have your shocks are probably either air (like mine) or elastomer.

Like downhill said, the plastic in the elastomer foam eventually compresses...you can just buy new ones that will actually be better then the originals ever were.

Or if it's an old air/oil like mine you just need a special hand pump that any store will let you use...just pump the air pressure in the shocks back up to what it should be. Mine have a slow leak and every few months I bring them in and top them off, otherwise the shocks bottom out almost by themselves (which it sounds like yours are doing).

So, heh, depending on what sort you have you could just re-pressurize the air or, if they're elastomer like the early Manitous you replace the foam bumpers.

Or you could take a big chunk of money and get new ones that will be amazing compared to your old ones. Just make sure you know whether you have a threaded or non-threaded headset. Look for older discounted models.

Check out the specials in those links....

The markup on bike parts must be huge. PricePoint always seems to have a great special on brakes...XT's...

And front shocks.....for Rock Shox..usually less than half the list..for last years models..
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

overclock it!

water cooling!!
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

Uninsured for your health
    check out http://www.performancebike.com/index.html I get a catalog from them every season, came as part of registering my bike with Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Originally posted by CiscoKid
    check out http://www.performancebike.com/index.html I get a catalog from them every season, came as part of registering my bike with Specialized
    LOL, they started their first store in my home town (where I grew up). It's about a 10 minute bike ride from my folk's house.

pricepoint.com has the best deals if you are looking for front forks they always have last years model on clearance sale for dirt cheep. You can pick up a set of $400.00 forks for like $150.00
    They will also send you a free catalog and send you emails on stuff that is on clearance

check them out
    DAMNIT

Originally posted by Damnit
    pricepoint.com has the best deals if you are looking for front forks they always have last years model on clearance sale for dirt cheep. You can pick up a set of $400.00 forks for like $150.00
    They will also send you a free catalog and send you emails on stuff that is on clearance

check them out
    It's first in my links.....I love that place..

Thanks a TON guys. I'm going to look through these sites today and see if there are some options. I'll take some pics of it later when it's light out and put them here. I'll also try to figure out whether they're the oil/air or esastomer. I am pretty sure they're oil/air. This bike is from 1995 or so. I wonder how much a bike is that is a few years old. Hmm....

Anyway, I'll check this place out and take some pics later.

Thanks again

Again, a new shock would be a huge upgrade on your bike, performance-wise...and they're much cheaper then they used to be.

If you just want functionality back without spending the $, just give your current forks a bit of TLC and I bet they'll feel new to you

The old RS Quadras in mine are way outdated but they still function fine. They take the bite off bumps and whumps and ease the tension on my wrists. I can still take them out and pound them and not wish I spent the money on a new set. I just don't ride enough to warrant a new purchase at this point.

It is funny sometimes I want a new bike but I just change something out and it rides totally different, It is amazing how the little changes make a BIG difference in the ride.
    DAMNIT