Thread: Video Card Gurus Needed

Video Card Gurus Needed

Hello,

I currently have an ATI Radeon 7200 32MB DDR as my video card.. It's quite old, I bought it for $300 Canadian in it's first weeks of release (I know, I'm stupid, what a waste of money...). I've used it for around 2 years now, and it's not quite up to par with newer games (WarCraft III, UT2k3, Mafia, RTCW). In fact, it's not even as fast as it should be with Half-Life Counter-Strike (I get an average of 30-40 FPS with D3D). I want to overclock my video card to have at least an average of 40-50 FPS constantly. Wish I had the money to go buy a new video card, but I don't.

I tried the new DirectX9.0 along with the newest ATI Catalyst drivers but they didnt work well.. Instead of PROMISING to increase performance, it actually decreased my FPS by 5-10, which is worse...., so I reverted back to my previous DirectX and drivers..

Does anyone know a costless, SAFE, and efficient way of overclocking this old card? I don't want to spend money buying multiple fans (my basement is cold enough), and I don't want to explode my motherboard either.

Thanks.

[My System Specs]

AMD Duron 600
    Asus A7V133
    ATI Radeon 7200 32MB DDR
    450 MB SD RAM
    30GB Quantum HD 7200RPM
    ESS Solo 1938 Sound Card

hey man..u can over clock it with rage3d tweak.

rage3d.com to get it..don't push it too much. radeon drivers are better w/ OGL, so use it instead of D3D and u'll improve ur frames.. if u can't use OGL..then lower some settings..make sure FSAA and anisotropic filtering are disabled and that ur texture quality sliders are set to the middle setting both in the driver control panels and in the game video options.

Amro

btw that duron of urs is also holding u back.. u can probably get it up to 800MHz-1GHz if u have good ram..

I use a proggie called Radeonator to OC my 8500, works like a champ!

good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Try running counterstrike in opengl mode?

For some reason, I get lower FPS with OpenGL... With OpenGL, i get 20-30 FPS.. With D3D, I get 30-40 FPS.. And this is all with lowest settings....

Ive tried Rage3D Tweak but it doesn't do much, in terms of overclocking.... I used Radeonator and I tweaked my 166mhz clock speed to 175mhz.. Hopefully my computer wont explode.. I heard you can boost it up to 190mhz without any cooling but it's risky and i don't want to take the risk

Originally posted by Amro
    btw that duron of urs is also holding u back.. u can probably get it up to 800MHz-1GHz if u have good ram..
    My duron right now is 600mhz.. My motherboard is AsusA7V 133.. I wish I could OC to 800mhz-1ghz.... I have 450MB SD RAM PC 100.... Only thing I dont want to do is get complicated and start cooling my system (it costs money and I dont have experience)... My basement is cold enough I think, it's like 5-10 degrees.....hehehe