Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The floodgates are wide open...

Certified SG Addict

The floodgates are wide open...

Uninsured for your health
    "It is high time we started taking parents of the most unruly pupils through the courts ourselves," Bill Fitzpatrick, former president of the Scottish Secondary Teachers Association told the Telegraph.
    I wish they would do this in my first high school...

"It may reach a point where our schools require resident police officers to protect staff from parents and pupils."
    Isn't it already at that point?

The first high school I was in had 5 police officers for the campus because of violent fights and the insane number of students being cought with drugs.

When a student in my sophmore english class refused to cooperte with the teacher, the DARE officer, who's office was next door to my class, arrested the student on charges of disrupting the eduaction of the other students. Had she not did that, the girl would have attacked the teacher at the rate everything was going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

wow, first no whippings in school or spanking

and now this

it is just getting worse and worse
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Originally posted by Paft
    *hmphs* So kids are nothing more than pets to you.

Nice to know that.
    kids need to be diciplined, it is part of growing up...

school is part of growing up, kids need to learn

*hmphs* So kids are nothing more than pets to you.

Nice to know that.
    How do you purpose we punish kids that misbehave in school paft?
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

These are my views about compulsory education:

I do not believe we should be forced by the government to go to school, period.

I believe this decision best belong to the PARENT of the child until the age of 16 where the child then has the decision if they want to continue or not.

Most parents would make their kids go anyways, especially in elementry school just to get them out of the way for the day so they can go to work

But also most parents would want their kids to have a good education and succeed in life, so they would make their kids go, even if the kids didn't want to. And this is how it should be, in the hands of the Parents.

But once the kids turn 16 then the power falls to them, they can continue and go to high school and college if they want, and those that don't want to continue can go do whatever they feel they need to do.

So this way the government isn't forcing it, but that power lies to the Parents until age 16.

My thoughts anyways

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    Just what we need, more burger flippers

Kids DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR THEMSELVES. They NEED supervision, they NEED discipline. When I did something wrong, I was spanked, and sent to my room. Sure as hell I didn't do that again.

In one TNG episode, clara has an invisible friend who is given form by an alien species-- and from her perspective, humans were cruel creatures because they didn't let children do what they wanted. And picard explains that children need discipline and guidance. The alien understood and so should you. Kids don't know that they can drown in a pool, then don't know what they should eat-- they need guidance. School should be mandatory, at least through junior high. After that, he should be mature enough to want to continue on his own. If not, let social darwinism take over. If a kid misbehaves, spank him, if he's unruly in school it's because his parents aren't using discipline at home.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

Idea: no more public education, if you have kids, you can pay for them to go to school, if you cant afford it then your children can still contribute to society by working at the local golden arches.
    Then we can all save a little on our house taxes and put the burden on the parents. This will also help with the slackers in school, then the school could charge the parents extra for kids that act up or cant keep there grades up to a certain %.
    Then the kids that donít want to go can feel free to stay home and donate mom and dads money to the school system and never have to worry about any hassle form the school.
    You make it, We take it !

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    Adults DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR THEMSELVES. They NEED supervision, they NEED discipline.

But when they do something wrong, they are left alone. They are allowed to destroy their own lives AND the lives of others (smoking, drinking, abuse of their kids) with little or no repremand and the kids having no recourse against them.

Now explain to me what makes this "magical" age of 18 give a person tons of wisdom and perfection that suddenly releases from them the "need" to be guided and repremanded?

Gezus sometimes I get sick of age discrimination.. especially when the ones doing it are usually in some form of a glass house themselves!

No, Q, that last statment was not aimed at you. It was just general frustration.
    well how the hell do you think the parents turned out that way? They were probably underdisciplined as children too.
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

Better Q: How do you propose we go about stopping compulsory education so that kids who don't want to go to school (and therfore rebel) wouldn't have to?
    I dont.

Originally posted by Qwijib0
    Just what we need, more burger flippers

Kids DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR THEMSELVES. They NEED supervision, they NEED discipline. When I did something wrong, I was spanked, and sent to my room. Sure as hell I didn't do that again.

In one TNG episode, clara has an invisible friend who is given form by an alien species-- and from her perspective, humans were cruel creatures because they didn't let children do what they wanted. And picard explains that children need discipline and guidance. The alien understood and so should you. Kids don't know that they can drown in a pool, then don't know what they should eat-- they need guidance. School should be mandatory, at least through junior high. After that, he should be mature enough to want to continue on his own. If not, let social darwinism take over. If a kid misbehaves, spank him, if he's unruly in school it's because his parents aren't using discipline at home.

Spare the rod and spoil the child.
    all that!

Education is big business.

Education is the largest PAC of the Democratic party.

Thank-you National Education Association!!!! You are the best! Where would the world be if it wasn't for your leadership???

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Certified SG Addict
    Good topic it seems...but what happened to Paft's post you've all been quoting?

Oh no.........the sky is falling..

Originally posted by Burke
    Good topic it seems...but what happened to Paft's post you've all been quoting?
    he probably deleted them himself.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by downhill
    Oh no.........the sky is falling..
    Sarcasm noted!

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by UOD
    he probably deleted them himself.
    Why? The whole point of me posting it was to, ahem, "encourage" discussion. Hmm...

Originally posted by Burke
    Why? The whole point of me posting it was to, ahem, "encourage" discussion. Hmm...
    I don't know.

One theory could be that he is still a child and can't control his emotions.

Another theory is that he may feel as if he is talking to a brick wall...so why bother.

Another theory is that he removed the replies in hopes to avoid conflict.....which he is attracted to........he doesn't want to get banned over something so petty.

I really can't say...all I can do is wonder.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by UOD
    I don't know.

One theory could be that he is still a child and can't control his emotions.

Another theory is that he may feel as if he is talking to a brick wall...so why bother.

Another theory is that he removed the replies in hopes to avoid conflict.....which he is attracted to........he doesn't want to get banned over something so petty.

I really can't say...all I can do is wonder.
    Either way, it's too bad.

Originally posted by UOD