Thread: Static ip??

Exclamation Static ip??

Ok to set up my server in the manual it says to set up a static ip address for my individual comps.... and i cant understand it so can some one guide me threw the process. i have Win Xp and the BEFSR41 cable/dsl router.

Hey close to home. I live in Orland park.

Not sure if I understand you question totally.
    But for basic linksys setup.

The linksys will connect to your ISP. Are you running Cable or DSL(pppoe)?
    The linksys will give your PC a IP. Default is 192.168.1.100 and it will go up from there. 192.168.1.101...etc...for each PC you connect to it.
    I run 3 pc's connected thru a linksys all sharing no problems. Working great.
    Bowtye

Oh thnx for replying
    I have dsl(pppoe)
    well what i mean is i dont kno how to set up a static ip. it says

To create a static route entry:

Select a Static Route Entry from the drop down list. The device supports up to 20 static route entries.
    Enter the following data for the static route:
    Destination LAN IP : Enter the network address of the remote LAN segment. For a standard Class C IP domain, the network address is the first 3 fields of the Destination LAN IP, while the last field should be 0.

Network Mask : Enter the Subnet Mask used on the destination LAN IP domain. For Class C IP domain, the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.

Gateway IP : If the Linksys router is the main IP router to connect your network to the Internet, then your Gateway IP is the same IP Address as the Linksys router. If you have another router handling your network's Internet connection, enter the IP Address of your main Internet router here instead.

what i dont get is the destination lan ip and gatway ip part.
    whre do i get thes addresss from? is the destionation ip 192.168.1.1?

SG Enthusiast
    It sounds like you wish to run a server on your LAN and make that server visible to the outside world.

You're on the right track - normally one would just let the router assign IP's using its internal DHCP serrver, but if you want a static route to a PC on the LAN you have to assign the iP statically.

First, with the router in the loop and configured for DHCP open a cmd prompt on each of your PC's and type:

ipconfig /all

Note the DNS servers, default gateway, and IP addresses. The DNS servers and default gateways should all be the same.

Next, go into network properties on each PC, select the entry for TCP/IP and right click. Open the properties, and on the IP screen, remove the DHCP check mark and enter an IP from the router's subnet, which is 192.168.1.0. 192.168.1.101 would be fine. Set the default gateway to the value from ipconfig above, probably 192.168.1.1. Set the mask to 255.255.255.0. Set the DNS servers to the values noted above

Finally, turn off DHCP in the router, and set up a static route to your server.

Since your public IP address will change every time you connect, you will need to know it in order to reach your server from the net. You could open the router configuration screen, or you can go to www.mywanip.com (.net?) and download their little free utility.

OH thnx that would have helped loads....before i figured it out.. but thanks any way

why static IP?

for my curiosity, why would one want to have static IP addresses in their LAN? I have dynamic IP's and it seems to work just fine. Is it required for certain things you want to do on the network (like file / printer sharing)?