Thread: building system, need help :P

i hate you. no really. thechemgeek's Avatar

Question building system, need help :P

well, time i jump into the whitebox race. a friend asked me to build a computer. after explaining that i've never done that before...he said he didn't care. uhm...ok. well, it can't be that hard...so i'm going to try. like so many before me, i'm here to ask for your advice on hardware...vendors...etc.

actually, this is quite weird. my friend recently purchase a new computer (dell)...giving his old one to his daughter (in college). his new system has xp and frustrates the crap out of him. so, he wants another system to put old programs and games...with win95 or win98. also, for whatever reason he wants them networked. so, no option of dual boot with his current system...and the xp "win9* emulate" isn't working with the old software. mostly, he also wants a second system. he told me he'd spend a few hundred.

my thought is to get a piii 800...or so. he doesn't need the power system...but these old chips can't be that much anymore. i was also thinking to get a motherboard with everything on it, vidio....sound....network...usb...etc. he has no intention of upgrading anything on it...so these built on componets are ok. i believe i also need a modem, memory, hard drive, CD-ROM, floppy, case/power supply. ok, monitor, keyboard and mouse...but anything else? would a combo motherboard/cpu be the best deal? he already has a copy of win95 and win98. there won't be any overclocking, so no need to worry about that stuff.

i'd rather get everything online at one place. i recognize some names/vendors....i'm not a complete noob. i'm mostly looking for help on the motherboard...combo....thing. thanks!!!!

It depends, on what games he is going to play. He would probably be better off with an AGP video card, they are 45 dollars right now, for a tnt2... so that would be fine. You could get him the combo's like this:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...ry_Code=INTELC

thats an idea ... or just go to some surplus vendor like www.computersurplusoutlet.com and order what you need. If you are lucky a motherboard and an AGP video card will probably cost the same as a motherboard with everything onboard anyway.

here is a really cheap and good motherboard:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...tID=MOT-S815EP

with that kind of price you could afford perriferals too...

Certified SG Addict
    I'd be willing to bet that your friend's problems with XP on his new Dell are directly related to all the JUNK that came pre-installed on it.

For something used try searching EBay.... a TON of stuff.

here is a video card:
    http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...tID=VID-SAV64A

and here is a sound card:
    http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...ductID=SOU-AEX
    here is the CPU list, just pick one...:
    http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...subcategory=15

also, here is a good nic and modem:
    http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...ductID=MOD-L56 (modem)

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...ctID=NET-905TX (NIC)

there is all you'd need, plus a cheapola case/psu combo like this:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com...uctID=CAS-ATX5

This on the whole is really cheap, totalling around 300 dollars. So there you go, and BTW, here is a good monitor fr his purposes:

http://www.newegg.com/app/specificat...tem=24-001-008

Hope this helps.

"I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

if I'm missing anything tell me..

I left out teh KBD, Mouse and Montior

MAXTOP CSX-3688KL Intel P4/AMD Ready 7-bay Front USB Connector 350W Power Supply Mid Tower PC CASE - RETAIL $39
    Lite On 52x Cd Rom - Model LTN-526 -RETAIL $28
    MITSUMI D359M3 FDD 1.44MB 3.5INCH - OEM $9
    WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 20GB 7200RPM MODEL $70
    Crucial 256MB 32Meg x 64 PC133 SDRAM $37
    ECS K7S5A SiSŪ 735 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD - RETAIIL $57
    AMD Duron 1.3GHz Socket A PGA Processor RETAIL $49.99
    JATON Model SIS305 32MB AGP 2x (SiS-73AGP-32) Retail Box $29

$318.99
    +14 (shipping to MO but it should be about the same to where you live)
    = $332.99

that should be it
    pretty good comp for the price...

<edit> Everything is from NewEgg
    http://www.newegg.com

I don't think a Modem will be neccesarry if he's going to network the comps...

the reason I went with Duron over P3 is b/c this mobo is only $57 which makes it a great deal, also the P3 mobos Newegg has,
    go from $52 to $97

and whether he wants to or not he will be able to upgrade this to DDR RAM and (at least an XP1800+ Proc) The ECS website says 'Full series of Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Proccessors', somehow I don't believe that though..
    Last edited by BaLa; 01-02-03 at 06:51 PM.

Talking

thanks everyone!! ....and this is why i love SG.

btw, the reason he wants a modem is because he has two phone lines and this computer might end up in his garage/office area.

thanks again!!

check me...

NewEgg.com

Intel Pentium III 1GHz 256K 133MHz FSB FCPGA Processor $107
    MSI 694T PRO (6309-470) VIA 694X PIII/ Tualatin/ Celeron/ VIA C3 SDRAM Socket 370 ATX MOTHERBOARD $66
    Crucial 128MB 16Meg x 64 PC133 SDRAM, 168-pins DIMM $25
    MAXTOP CSX-3688KL Intel P4/AMD Ready 7-bay Front USB Connector 350W Power Supply Mid Tower PC CASE $39
    Lite On 52x Cd Rom - Model LTN-526 $28
    MITSUMI D359M3 FDD 1.44MB 3.5INCH $9
    WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 20GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD200BB $70
    LeadTek Geforce2 MX 400 32 Meg Video Card $44
    Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card Model LNE100TX : Version 5.1 $21
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 $34
    Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI 56k Modem $19

$462

at the local university they sell old computer parts. we should be able to get a keyboard, mouse, speakers pretty cheap. perhaps a monitor too (~$15). also, some of the iteams can be found there as well; NIC, sound cards and modems. after subtract these out it's $388. he already has win98 from his previous system....bonus!!

he was expecting about $350-$400 and also said that he only wanted intel (piii), something i didn't find out until i checked with him with your ideas. might i also mention that this "friend" happens to be my boss at work. heh.

let me know. word.

Certified SG Addict
    I'd spring for at least another 128 MB of RAM.

Why spend more on less power? BaLa was right you might as well go new.....besides that 314 was DAMN good

I'd add 128mb RAM other than that..
    it looks pretty good..

though I don't quite understand why he wants only P3..

I guess whatever he wants...

i don't know either. but it's his system....not mine.

thanks all.

i hate to beat a dead horse...but...he said he didn't care that much for the cpu type. so....how's this?

AMD Duron 1.3GHz Socket A PGA Processor $50
    Asus A7N266-VM AA (AMD Assured Version) NVIDIA nFORCE 220 Chipset 266/200MHz FSB Motherboard Micro ATX- Retail $75
    ENLIGHT Model# EN-7150AP ATX MID-TOWER CASE w/ 200Watt POWER SUPPLY $36
    KINGSTON KVR266X64C25/128 128MB DDR PC2100 $36
    Lite On 52x Cd Rom - Model LTN-526 $28
    WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 20GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD200BB $69
    MITSUMI D359M3 FDD 1.44MB 3.5INCH $9
    Mitsumi KFK-EA4XT Keyboard $6
    Designer-Plus Scrolling Internet Easy+ Mouse $1
    180Watts PMPO Computer Stereo Speakers Model EP-691 $3
    KDS 17" (16.0" vis) Professional Business Color Monitor VS-7P $110
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition CD $91 (he doesn't have copy, i was mistaken)

complete system: $495

the only things i'm not sure about are the micro-ATX stuff (only need 200W ps?) and the system memory (correct?). the motherboard has onboard video (Geforce2), audio (RealtekŪ ALC650) and lan port.

he might get a second hand monitor....and i'm still not sure if he's getting win98 or not. subtract these out and it's $294. not bad.

SG Enthusiast
    I'd verify that 200W will run your MoBo. Asus website should tell you what the min psu requirements are. You don't have too many peripherals, so the mobo will probably be the deciding factor.

Hate to beat a dead horse myself, but 128M of ram will not play too well if/when your boss moves on to XP/2K. It's the single most cost effective upgrade you could perform on that rig and would give the best performance boost. You are SERIOUSLY out-clocking your ram. Wasted cycles while memory is paged to/from disk...

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Originally posted by cyberskye
    Hate to beat a dead horse myself, but 128M of ram will not play too well if/when your boss moves on to XP/2K. It's the single most cost effective upgrade you could perform on that rig and would give the best performance boost. You are SERIOUSLY out-clocking your ram. Wasted cycles while memory is paged to/from disk...
    see, that's the point....this system won't be upgraded...anytime in the near future atleast. he has old software/programs that need to run on win98/95. mostly business related...but some are games. i still remember gettting 128MB in my system i bought from micron several years ago. my friend freaked out...."128!!! what will you need that for?" heh. my system now has 1GB.

didn't see anything at asus about the power requirements....but as you said there won't be much other stuff.

SG Enthusiast
    Strange about the mobo manual. I have the asus A7M266-D with two MP1900+ and it states clearly in my manual that it requires a 400W+ PSU to run at full load. It may specify so in my manual because it is a dually. I have an old PIII500 that came with a 230W...

I love Bill Gates' statement about no one ever needing more than 64k of ram. True visionary or corporate gangster? You be the judge.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)