Thread: anyone networking an iMac with a Windows laptop?

franybill

anyone networking an iMac with a Windows laptop?

I am attempting to network an iMac running OS X.2.3 with a Dell laptop running Windows XP; connecting a LAN through ADSL modem via hub/cable connection.
    having problems; is anyone else running something like this?

The Imac may not be the problem if your using a hub.with a hub you need an IP for each computer you put on the hub,Your ISP may only let you have one IP so you need to check with your ISP,or get a router.

franybill

iMac/PC networking

thanks for replying. I am using a router (3Com Office Connect Switch 5). My download speed on the laptop is 220 kbps; upload is 7! Not sure why. some sites work great; others won't open or only open partially.

Wireless sharing DSL with Windows notebook and Imac G3

I hope you guys don’t mind me posting this. I found this thread with a search engine and thought my situation was very similar, but a little more complicated and incase anyone else ran into the same problem, they could use this information to solve their situation.

I have 2 notebooks running Windows XP in my home office where my Internet connection is. I also have an Imac G3 in another room that does not have an airport card (still $80-$120) using dialup and taking FOREVER to surf the web. I wanted to get all 3 computers to share the same high speed internet DSL connection and thought wireless would be a good solution. My DSL account with my ISP is Dynamic IP address assigning by the way. A week ago I didn’t know a thing about wireless.

OfficeMax was having a sale selling Belkin 802.11g wireless goods for $9/ea. After rebates (802.11g will also connect backwards to 802.11b). Their Mac expert told me I could buy 2 routers (Belkin Part #F5D7230-4) and have the Imac hardwired into the second router, then have the 2 routers communicate to one another wirelessly. In effect, the second router is an alternative to getting an airport card for the Imac G3. I also bought a wireless network card for 1 of my laptops as the other had it built in. My total investment was $30 for 2 routers and a wireless network card for my notebook.

First, the Imac had to be upgraded from 9.0 to 9.2 to be able to download the router software so the Imac could communicate with the router it was to be connected to. This was 3 downloads, 4 hours each on dialup, yikes! Eventually, I was able to get all computers to the internet, but I could not maintain a connection when the computers hibernated, rebooted, etc. I don’t know if it was because the addition of the second router, routers sharing the same IP address, if I was bridging correctly or not, If one should be an access point or what. I did end up solving the problem. Here was the solution:

SUCCESSSFULL CONFIGURATION:
    Set up all computers either DHCP enabled (Dynamic IP addresses) or Static IP addresses. If Static, IP addresses should be outside the range of the DHCP server assigned IP addresses as suggested by the router manufacturer. If you opt. for static, you will need to turn the DHCP server off (under LAN setting) in the primary router (the one not set up as the access point) Set the following TCP/IP settings for the computer connections:
    IP Address: 192.168.2.100 (100 and up to be outside the range if configuring static IP’s)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1 (router’s IP address)
    DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 (ISP’s modem DNS server/ using the router’s IP address should work also).

Reboot both routers. After Rebooting, primary router should have internet connection immediately. Be sure to use same computer hardwired to each router to configure, so you can have the same computer being able to access and manage both routers.

Router 2 (secondary) -
    1. Set up as an access point. Take note of the new IP address because after you have selected it to be the access point, you will need to access the router by the new IP address after clicking change. Setting it up as an access point will also change the IP address so both routers have different IP addresses, as well as automatically disable its DHCP server (if configuring static IP addresses).
    2. Under MAC Address Control, Set up the primary router to have MAC Address Control by inputting the WAN or (WAN/LAN) Mac address in and selecting “allow”. Then you only need to be hard wired into the primary router to be able to log into the primary and secondary routers to change settings if needed.
    3. Change the SSID and channel if necessary. Both routers need to be on the same channel to communicate.

Router 1 (primary) -
    1. Make sure that the primary and secondary routers are on the same channel. Rename the router if necessary.
    2. If you have static IP addresses for the computers, be sure to turn off DHCP Server under LAN settings.
    3. Set up Wireless Bridge between the routers by putting the secondary routers WLAN Mac Address in the AP1 fields. Click “Enable only Specific Access Points to access” then click “apply changes”.

I hope this can help someone save 30 hours of beating their head like it took me to finally get to this point.

Auto

Search phrases: Connecting 2 wireless routers bridging access point Imac G3 G4 Mac Macintosh OS 9.0 OS 9.1 OS 9.2 OS X using a router as an airport card second 2nd router multiple computers wirelessly notebook laptop portable.