Thread: Question regarding rechargeable batteries: How long do they last?

Question regarding rechargeable batteries: How long do they last?

Just saw a good deal on these at:
    http://www.bydusa.com/product.asp?3=38

If I buy the 24 pack set, I may not use half of them for a long time. If I never charge them for years, how long will they last?

Do their lifetime get determined from the moment they are charged for the first time?

Yes, I think lifetime is in reference to when they're first charged, how often and how fully they're discharged/recharged from that point on.

Certified SG Addict
    Who knows how long they'll last, especially with a "no-name" brand like those seem to be.

Ni-Cad Batteries professed 800-1000 cycle recharge limit. Ni-MH batts. like in your ad are supposed to be 40% more efficient (meaning the charge lasts longer) but are only good for about 600 cycles (recharges). As far as shelf life goes: the electrolyte layer in Ni-MH is potassium hydroxide & water. If stored in extreme weather (to hot/to cold) the water can evaporate or freeze which will be bad and shorten the storage life. Batteries are also vented with resealable vent just under the positive terminal to release built up pressure during recharging process. If flexible vent material sits on a shelf for extended period it may harden & crack and allow water to evaporate. Just guessing but if kept at normal room temperatures they should be good for at least a couple of years before I'd toss them. Some might last much longer.
    Last edited by binksfan; 12-22-02 at 07:51 AM.
    ߡk@

"Okay! Who stole the cork outta my lunch?"

binksfan,

thanks for the info!!

i love my nomem's. overall, you spend less. you always have them ready if you keep up on the charging. AND they are better for mother earth.

you simply cant go wrong!

Most rechargeables loose 10% of there capacity per month while in storage.

Here in the Hospital we change all rechargables (SLA and NiCad) every two years, but a coworker the other day found an IV pump that the battery had a date stamp of 1992! While recently we had a rash of Defibrilator power supplies being taken out by 12 mo. old batteries.
    Lifetime Coaster Count: 236
    Coasters Conqured in 2004: 26

Thanks for the info guys. I Appreciate it.

I made up my mind not to go for rechargeable batteries based on the feedback.