PDA

View Full Version : Building PC vs. Buying PC

satyre
12-03-02, 06:34 PM
If you have a choice to buy a PC from any manufacturer (I prefer Sony) and building a PC with the same configuration and specifications, Which one would you choose?

Would it be based on saving money or technical challenge?

Which one will save money?

Thanks for any comments.

HawaiianGhost
12-03-02, 09:04 PM
Building your own=
Pros:

-If you shop right with a good amount of patience and ASK around for opinions (esp. here at SG) you will SAVE MONEY somehow.
-Through trial and error you gain knowledge about PC's, but again ASK first on "how to" and for tech advice. This "knowledge" will save you money by avoid paying for the most "common" problems being solved by high paid Techs.
-You get to customize your "RIG" to the way you want to use it.
-Most DIY rigs built today can be had for less than $1000.00USD vs. top of the line setups offer out there.

Con's:

-Headache's caused by Blue Screen'z of Death (BSOD'z) when something goes wrong. Most are fixable though.
-Some ppl end up with some kind of "UPGRADE Fever" - always wanting the lastest "toys".
-There's always someone out there with a better RIG than you!

Personally, I choose to build my own. My first RIG bought was a pre-built one from a local shop. I didn't know much about computers then. But after having so many software/hardware related probs due the way I change my ways of using my rig. I realized that I was tired of having to have someone else fix my rig, I decided to learn "how to" fix my own probs myself. And I learn most of the Basics within 6mos by searching on-line and forums such as SG. Now a year or two later, I'm building rigs for myself and my family and I noticed that ALL my associates come to ME with the same Q's that I once use to ask. This past weekend I helped customize a friends rig to Dual Boot OS's within a 12hrs and we were gaming through LAN system within 24hrs for 2 DAYS!!

So you decide what you want/need...
And How much $$money$$ you want to spend....
:p :D

LT-73
12-03-02, 09:13 PM
I gotta ditto what HG just posted! :nod:

You hit the nail on da head HG! WTG!!

Duzmor
12-03-02, 09:22 PM
Their is alot of good Deals out on the Market Now (P4) Systems - The thing I look at if it Breaks "Who are going to Call" !!!

Duzmor:D :D

Duz!!

HawaiianGhost
12-03-02, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Duzmor
The thing I look at if it Breaks "Who are you going to Call" !!!

Duz!!

"GHOSTBUSTER'Z!!!!":p :D

*sorry I HAD to:D

LT-73
12-03-02, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by HawaiianGhost

:rotfl:

Duzmor
12-03-02, 09:33 PM

You Might have to Call "Ghost Buster'z" to get it Fixed

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Duz!!

cy
12-03-02, 09:45 PM
Build Build Build...nonono, no buying! :D:D

and missing one point....IT"S FUN TO BUILD A COMPUTER!!! ;)

HawaiianGhost
12-03-02, 09:51 PM
Most of us here @ SG do own a couple, if not "several" rigs of our own, varying in different makes and manufacturers. So if you do decide to build, trust me you won't be short on advice.:cool:

Unholy
12-03-02, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I went down the same path as HawaiianGhost buying a 486dx (wish my current comp is as quiet as that rig), and then building a P120 Turbo comp (note was only 10 at time) then on to the heavy stuff like a P4 2.4 comp with tons of ricing of the case. It's all basiclly plug into the slot that fits or read the friggin' instrution guide.

Krazy Kraut
12-03-02, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by satyre
If you have a choice to buy a PC from any manufacturer (I prefer Sony)

sony makes by far the worst computers on earth
and i would never ever ever buy a jap computer

A_old
12-03-02, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Krazy Kraut
sony makes by far the worst computers on earth

i'll half agree with that part of your statement.. actually HP and compaq make the worst ones... but that's not the point..sonys do suck.. get dell, vpr matrix, or build ur own. if u want a basic machine that can't play games out of the box..go buy one..if u want a power house or something mid range that'll still play games (instead of having crappy integrated video)..build one

Krazy Kraut
12-03-02, 11:10 PM
my friend has a sony and they suck at tech support
and the hard drive they come with suck
and the motherboard is a peice of junk
than they had to ship him new parts from japan to fix a problem he had
which took like over a month

HawaiianGhost
12-04-02, 12:14 AM
i would never ever ever buy a jap computer

You may want to open up your rig and check out the origins of some of your computer parts and where "they" come from before making a statement like that, hehe...:rotfl:

satyre
12-04-02, 12:14 AM
Krazy Kraut:

Where can we get "Memory stick media slot" as in Sony?

What is equivalent of "Giga Pocket" as in Sony?

YeOldeStonecat
12-04-02, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Amro
i'll half agree with that part of your statement.. actually HP and compaq make the worst ones...

Strongly disagree with you there. On the cheap models, HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios...yeah, they are kind of bad, Presarios have gotten a little better. But where those two makers really shine are their business class computers, like HP's Vectras, and Compaq's Deskpro's, which are now called "Evo's". Man, they're great. And what's better is the support for them, overnight shipping of replacement parts, all on a 3 year warranty.

Sony is brutal to get support on.

Satyre....the anser to your question is really up to if you want to spend the time to learn and build....and spend the time to learn to fix when things go wrong.

***Building your own...you're your own support, and if things break, hardware wise, it's tougher to replace them...often have to buy a new part. But it can be rewarding, and a learning experience.

***Buying one pre-made, it's ready to run out of the box, and you can get good support...depending on where you get it. Usually Dell is decent on support, or if you spend more money on a top end machine like Falcon Northwest, or Alienware, you'll get great support. If you shop around trying to save, and get something by some little known, or "fly by night" budget computer warehouse, if something goes wrong, you're usually out of luck. So if you get a pre-made OEM....stick with the big names.

caveman
12-04-02, 10:25 AM
Build build build every time!

I too started out with a second hand pre built machine which soon became too slow and too old so I set about lokking into and building my own... and here I am about 48 rigz later!! LOL:D

Seriously though, as has already been said the help and advice available on SG is second to none in all forums so don`t worry about having problems because it`s an almost certainty that you will as no doubt many peeps here will tell ya me being on of `em.

Just take your time and if you`re unsure about anything... ASK!!

click_here
12-04-02, 10:39 AM
You may want to open up your rig and check out the origins of some of your computer parts and where "they" come from before making a statement like that, hehe...:rotfl:

LOL good point! there are no american made parts in most pc's that I know of....

as a matter of fact,I can't think of any components for pc's that I have ever seen that are american made.

click_here
12-04-02, 10:41 AM

and i would never ever ever buy a jap computer

LOL,,thats funny... where are the components in your pc made?

HawaiianGhost
12-04-02, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by click_here

Yugoslavia, maybe(?) J/Kidding, lol:rotfl:

Dunster
12-04-02, 09:02 PM
First computer = Dell
Second computer = Built myself
Next computer = Build myself, but even better because of the SG folks!

Krazy Kraut
12-04-02, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by click_here

mexico and michigan
and a few from taiwan

HawaiianGhost
12-04-02, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Dunster
First computer = Dell
Second computer = Built myself
Next computer = Build myself, but even better because of the SG folks!

Totally agree:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

click_here
12-04-02, 09:36 PM
mexico and michigan
and a few from taiwan

I'll bet the Japanese products are better than any parts made in michigan or mexico,IMHO.

crazyjw1971
12-04-02, 10:32 PM
BUILD!!!

I started out with a Compaq Presario 7478 that didnt work when I plugged it in the wall! :eek: If it hadnt been for me havng SOME computer knowledge then I might have ended up taking it back to the store or shipping it to Compaq.

Then I built my current rig, which is now in Version 3 (third mobo). I love it and does all that I need it to do.

BUILD BUILD BUILD!

aagiants
12-04-02, 11:00 PM
I dont like Hp's or compaqs Period... Heh, just personal experience cause all customized parts/ with non upgradable. Support sucked for me...

With building ur own comp, if u shop smart u will save money, but when u try to get the best possible, like pc2700 ram instead of pc3200 ram... u will end up spending more.... The Hp's and Compaq are able to buy generic crap and buy in bulk, but support is something that is golden for people who dont know what they're doing

HawaiianGhost
12-04-02, 11:05 PM
...a few from taiwan

HMMM, I wonder where that's near? Oh yeah, it's somewhere near
---JAPAN!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AMPLIFRIER
12-05-02, 12:08 AM

LMAO no doubt....the question is...how much of it DOESNT come from japan.

or wherever...

as far as building your onw rig........if your asking about it here.....your prolly up for it.....there are alot of headaches involved...but they are good lessons to learn and will only help you in the future.

only pre built machine ive ever purchased is my laptop....not much in the way of build it yourself laptop parts...from scratch that is.

but every home built rig i built....for the money i spent...i came out way ahead with a faster machine than the comperable for the money crap that comes off the assembly line at dell. or HP or Compaq....ect ect

AMP

YeOldeStonecat
12-05-02, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by aagiants
The Hp's and Compaq are able to buy generic crap and buy in bulk, but support is something that is golden for people who dont know what they're doing

That's a loaded statement...."Support", when you're an IT professional, happens to include part support...meaning warranty. When you're the guy who built a network, workstations, servers, for a company...and a part fails....it's your job to get that computer up and running ASAP...and it makes life easier for you as the support guy to spend the least amount of time and effort doing so...because you're not getting paid to fix items under warranty. It has NOTHING TO DO with "don't know what they're doing", what I want from support is the make one single phone call to support...if say a video card, hard drive, cd-rom, power supply, whatever, went bad...I want to spend the LEAST amount of time on the phone, and I want that part shipped to me, or the client, OVERNIGHT. I don't need some booger picking pimple faced kid reading from some scripted support reference book, like Dell support usually does, "Well, first, try rebooting the computer", or "Is the monitor plugged in?", or "Do you have the latest drivers installed?", or "Run the restore CD". I know what's wrong, I know what I need replaced, and I want that part tomorrow morning! A place that gives me that kind of support gets my business.

BTW, Dell computers can be just as non-upgradable as any others, they are quite proprietary on many models just like HP and Compaq's entry level computers.

Massa
12-17-02, 05:43 PM
I have been building rigs for 10 years, and all I can say, is that if you gotta buy a prebuilt, but from a reputable company like Dell, Alienware, Falcon NW, or ibuypower.com Over all i cant say that its good to buy. If you build your own, its a real SWEET deal.

1. You learn a TON
2. You built it, you can usually fix it.
3. You arent gonna overclock an HP unless GOD is on you side:D
yeah ...

WAIT>>> heres an idea, how about we set up a donation account, we all give 10 bucks and see if our top 5 guyz cant OC the crap outa an HP/Compaq??

oh well, it woulda been funny