PDA

View Full Version : Brent, How's that radeon 9500 pro review coming?

yikes
12-03-02, 01:47 PM
:D

HongKongPolice
12-03-02, 03:30 PM
I think Brent is having problems OCing the card, just like all the other ppl who reviewed the card.

Brent, try using Rage3Dtweak, if that doesn't work, then use ATiFlash to make an image of the BIOS, and Raedit to edit the default clockspeeds.

Although it might not be that easy because there have been reports of ppl not being able to OC the R9000, which has been out for a while now, and i haven't seen a working method of OCing the "locked" cards.

If you read the digit-life review of the normal 128MB R9500 here:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-r9500-128.html

You'll see that physically, the normal R9500 is identical to the R9700 Pro cept for the slower BGA chips. But, the R9500 has only 4 pipelines, so my theory is that they either disabled 4 of the pipes through the video BIOS or like what the website suggests: some kinda fancy driver trick.

Either way, looks like ATi is cracking down on overclocking..... ouch....

yikes
12-03-02, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the link HongKong, but I'm waiting on the Pro reviews. :)

Brent
12-03-02, 04:26 PM
Yikes - It is coming... I am working on it as hard as i can, heh... I'll prolly have it done by the end of this week and it will prolly go up either this weekend, or Monday

HongKongPolice - I haven't tried overclocking it yet, I have a few more benches to run at default speeds first, then I'll get to oc'ing, prolly in about an hour... I'll first try PowerStrip and see what happens... if no go then i'll Try Rage3D tweak...

BTW when I reviewed the 9000 Pro i had no problems oc'ing it

yikes
12-03-02, 04:29 PM
Brent, sounds great, no rush, really, the card aint even out here yet, im just interested :) You heard anything about this unlocking or enabling of the "disabled" 4 pipes?

YiKeS

Brent
12-03-02, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by yikes
Brent, sounds great, no rush, really, the card aint even out here yet, im just interested :) You heard anything about this unlocking or enabling of the "disabled" 4 pipes?

YiKeS

i haven't

you cannot just disable 4 pipes, not even through the bios

it is a hardware thing

yikes
12-03-02, 04:43 PM
Thats what I figured, but u never know :)

Brent
12-03-02, 05:21 PM
Well I'll be damned

Power Strip cannot read the clock speeds on the 9500 Pro

dl'ing rage3d to try it....

Brent
12-03-02, 05:24 PM
el butt hole

neither can Rage3d

well ****

HongKongPolice
12-03-02, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Brent
i haven't

you cannot just disable 4 pipes, not even through the bios

it is a hardware thing

Not true brent, read the review i posted earlier, they confirmed that the chip used on the non-pro R9500 is identical to the one used on the R9700 Pro.

Quote from the review:

So, what do we have?
RADEON 9500 (just for today?) is built on the RADEON 9700 Pro, having no different features from it except the memory chips with a higher access time of 3.6ns;
64MB model has twice as less memory chips, that is why the memory exchange bus becomes 128bit;
128MB model is a copy of the RADEON 9700 Pro, they have no difference outwardly (even without the coolers);
The chip of the RADEON 9500 is the same, and I don't see how it's possible to cut it on the hardware level without correcting the marking of the processor (to make it clear which chip is crippled and which is not).
In view of this I think that the RADEON 9500 is cut off on the software level. If you remember, in the 3dfx Velocity100 they locked one module on the software level to make its speed slower compared to the Voodoo3 2000. But that time they didn't provide any reliable protection, the key for the second TMU was easy to find.

The programmers from ATI are smarter. They tried to protect a lot of cards from overclocking, in particular, RADEON 9000 - whatever frequency you set the speed doesn't change. The RADEON 9700 has a cunning BIOS: its frequencies often remain unrecognized by tweakers.

That is why if we actually have the RADEON 9700 instead of RADEON 9500, it can be a real problem to remove the software protection and turn the latter into the former. However, this aspect is yet to be studied.