PDA

View Full Version : Please help my hard drive turns off during operation then turn back on

extreme
12-02-02, 06:15 PM
Hey Everyone i am haveing a lot of trouble with my western digital hard drive. I could be typeing right now then i can hear my hard drive turn off and when i wait a minute it will turn back on. (so weird):( I think it could be my hard drive malfunctioning or overheating it even might not being get enough power but i want to see what you guys thought

This is what my rig consits of

My specs are:

Western digital hard drive 80gb
Amd Athlon xp +1900
PNY 256mb drr
cd-rom
cd-rw
Windows xp (When i go into my computer right click on my local disk and hit format it says windows can not format this hard drive)
FDD(Floppy disk drive)
Netgear NIC(network interface Card)
Soyo Kt333 Dragon Ultra(platinum edition)
GTI 4200 64mb ddr
The case is a Lian Li 350 watt power supply

Thank for takeing this time to read this

I hope you reply soon.

Mark
12-02-02, 06:45 PM
you might try and make sure that the molex conectors are making good contact with the drives, when i went from IBM's to WD's i had to take some neddle nose pliers and slightly crimp the little connectors, seems the IBM's streched them out a bit.

i ended up just making some right angle plugs for them after all.

A_old
12-02-02, 07:32 PM
what kind of power supply

zooner
12-02-02, 07:46 PM
Windows xp (When i go into my computer right click on my local disk and hit format it says windows can not format this hard drive)

that's what it should say.

unless the power saver has your hard drive powering down after 1 minute? almost too freaky, could a virus do that??

agree with snake more, although wouldnt that freeze the system?

Qwijib0
12-02-02, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by zooner
that's what it should say.

unless the power saver has your hard drive powering down after 1 minute? almost too freaky, could a virus do that??

agree with snake more, although wouldnt that freeze the system?

nope. as long as it's not more than 20-30 sec. Actually, was a great way to play practical jokes on friends at school with the old 486's. Unplug to pause, power up to resume :p

Great fun during duke nukem ;) :p

SLK
12-03-02, 08:33 AM
is it a wdse? mine did that too but when i restarted it came up with a memory dump. Strange

Brk
12-03-02, 11:26 AM
Same thing happened on one of my WD SE 120 GB drives; in the middle of reading/writing, the heads would park and then restart after a few seconds. I RMA'd it right away and WD sent me a new one within a week. I'd return it ASAP.

SLK
12-03-02, 05:39 PM
my system didnt restart. HDD just stopped outta nowhere. I unchecked the"auto restart" memory dump setting in "startup and recovery" Then that happened. I guess windows haulted when i gotta memory dump instead of restarting