PDA

View Full Version : DVD and Firewire info ?

westy
12-02-02, 01:49 PM
I'm looking at buying a new camcorder and want to burn the video to DVD, but am really confused (uneducated would be a better term ;) ) on the format that is going to become standard. Am I better off waiting until the dust settles to buy one or is there one format that is obvious to be the winner ? Any recommendations on a low priced, decent burner would be appreciated too.

Now for the firewire stuff ! I will have to add a firewire card to my 'puter for transferring the video. My Antec case has a flip up bay in the front for a Firewire connection, but my mobo doesn't support Firewire. Can I get a IEEE 1394 card that would have connections on the board to run the wires to the front of my box ? Most of the add on boards I've looked at have the rear port connections and I don't want to snake a wire from the back if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for your expertise !

YeOldeStonecat
12-02-02, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by westy
Can I get a IEEE 1394 card that would have connections on the board to run the wires to the front of my box ? Most of the add on boards I've looked at have the rear port connections and I don't want to snake a wire from the back if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for your expertise !

Yes, most decent video editing software packages come with a PCI Firewire card, such as Pinnacle Studio. If not, many makers out there like OrangeMicro, Belkin, DLink, etc.

westy
12-02-02, 09:33 PM
I found plenty of cards thanks. But, I need one that has a connector on the board that matches the ones on my motherboard preferably (six seperate pins). Or, can I buy a connector at Radio Shack and solder my existing wire to the connector ? I can't post a picture otherwise I would !

Qwijib0
12-02-02, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by westy
I found plenty of cards thanks. But, I need one that has a connector on the board that matches the ones on my motherboard preferably (six seperate pins). Or, can I buy a connector at Radio Shack and solder my existing wire to the connector ? I can't post a picture otherwise I would !

something like this?
http://www.deltrontech.com/PCI/PCI1394.htm

with an internal 1394 connector?

westy
12-03-02, 05:35 AM
Yup I think so ! Is there any important specs to look for with these or is a card a card ? Do they all perform the same ?