PDA

View Full Version : Abit KG7/KR7A with xp 2400+

njeddiek
12-02-02, 12:33 PM
If you have a KG7/KR7A, The new Rev b Tbred 2400+ and up will work. The new CPU is a incredible Overclocker. I just did a 8 hr burn in with PRIME with the system running 2280@152 with a 1.75 Vcore. Unfortunately the Bios will not let me go 1.85 with this chip. I am sure this chip will do 2.35 Ghz with a little more juice. The Rev a 2200+ will not work unless you unlock the cpu.
Abit is officially saying these boards will not work with the new Tbred. It is a shame they are trying to push you to buy a new board instead of supporting their slightly older products with Bios updates.

Mark
12-02-02, 03:14 PM
i have been reading about some people having success with them , what version is your motherboard and what bios are you useing ??

*edit*
how would i tell if the cpu is a revision b ?

HongKongPolice
12-02-02, 05:40 PM
No, ONLY revision 1.1 or higher KR7A boards will support Tbred CPUs without any modifications, and even that is kinda sketchy, some boards may require you to send it back to Abit for them to mod it. Forget about the KG7.

You could do some mods to the CPU and/or mobo yourself to support the Tbreds:

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=161655&perpage=15&highlight=kr7a&pagenumber=2

njeddiek
12-02-02, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by HongKongPolice
No, ONLY revision 1.1 or higher KR7A boards will support Tbred CPUs without any modifications, and even that is kinda sketchy, some boards may require you to send it back to Abit for them to mod it. Forget about the KG7.

You could do some mods to the CPU and/or mobo yourself to support the Tbreds:

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=161655&perpage=15&highlight=kr7a&pagenumber=2

I have a Ver 1.0 board with 9N bios and have no problems. I left the chip untouched(no unlock)and no board mods. The problems were with the Tbred "A" core. ALL 2400+ and on are Rev B processors. AMD is going to manufacture 2000+ and 2100+ with the "B" revision in the near future.

The only problem I have is that with my old 1600+ the Bios would let me set the Vcore to 1.85. Now I can only go to 1.75. I hope Abit releases a Bios upgrade so I don't have to do a voltage mod.
These new chips are great to OC. With my Gforce 3 card I gained 2000 3Dmarks.

Mark
12-02-02, 06:39 PM
njeddiek, what did you set the bios to as far as multiplier goes , 13+ ?
i may have to get one and try it for myself :)

HongKongPolice
12-02-02, 09:49 PM
If it works for you, then either your board is modded, or its just a fluke, cuz if you read the AMBmb forums, no1 could get their Tbreds to run on a KR7A without modding.

Another thing is that you can't change the multiplyer in the BIOS, you gotta do it via the L3 bridges

njeddiek
12-02-02, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by HongKongPolice
If it works for you, then either your board is modded, or its just a fluke, cuz if you read the AMBmb forums, no1 could get their Tbreds to run on a KR7A without modding.

Another thing is that you can't change the multiplyer in the BIOS, you gotta do it via the L3 bridges

If you read to the end of the thread at amdmb they were trying to get the 2200+ to work. Users are now reporting good results with the 2400. My KR7A has been real good to me. All I did was install the chip, cleared Cmos, booted into bios and set cpu speed to user defined and clock to >=x13. Upon reboot the bios correctly read 2000 mhz and windows says XP 2400+.

HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4434) is a thread where a user has a 2400+ running in a KG7

HongKongPolice
12-02-02, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by njeddiek
If you read to the end of the thread at amdmb they were trying to get the 2200+ to work. Users are now reporting good results with the 2400. My KR7A has been real good to me. All I did was install the chip, cleared Cmos, booted into bios and set cpu speed to user defined and clock to >=x13. Upon reboot the bios correctly read 2000 mhz and windows says XP 2400+.

HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4434) is a thread where a user has a 2400+ running in a KG7

Oooookay, i guess the new Tbred2s work with the older boards, but the first batches of Tbred2s didn't.