PDA

View Full Version : How do i format my western digital hard drive

extreme
12-01-02, 06:56 PM
Hey everyone i need help formatting my western digital hard drive. I dont no how do format so could someone please tell me how.

My specs are:

Western digital hard drive 80gb
Amd Athlon xp +1900
PNY 256mb drr
cd-rom
cd-rw
Windows xp (When i go into my computer right click on my local disk and hit format it says windows can not format this hard drive)
FDD(Floppy disk drive)
Netgear NIC(network interface Card)
Soyo Kt333 Dragon Ultra(platinum edition)
GTI 4200 64mb ddr

Thats about it thanks

Please reply

Docsta
12-01-02, 07:00 PM
hey bud either use the western digital startup disk that comes in the box..thatll format and partiton it for you so you can install the operating system...when you do that...choose FULL AUTOMATIC INSTALL...then follow the easy prompts.

another way is to use a simple windows 98 boot disk or something comprable, when you get to the A: prompt type fdisk...then create new primary partition...then reboot...then boot off the disk again..go back to that A: prompt and type "format c:" and then itll format..then install the operating system after you format it...thats it bud.

YeOldeStonecat
12-01-02, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by extremeg177
Windows xp (When i go into my computer right click on my local disk and hit format it says windows can not format this hard drive)

Wrong spot...in NT based OS's, you want to go do Disk Administrator/Manager.

I take it your OS is already installed on a primary drive, and you're just adding a secondary drive/extended partition.

In WinXP, right click "My Computer", and select "Manage".

In your management console, you'll see, amongst many other useful things, Disk Management. Everything is in the power of the right click in this area to manage your drives correctly. You must create your extended partition, and assign it a drive letter, and format it.

click_here
12-01-02, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by extremeg177
Hey everyone i need help formatting my western digital hard drive. I dont no how do format so could someone please tell me how.

My specs are:

Western digital hard drive 80gb
Amd Athlon xp +1900
PNY 256mb drr
cd-rom
cd-rw
FDD(Floppy disk drive)
Netgear NIC(network interface Card)
Soyo Kt333 Dragon Ultra(platinum edition)
GTI 4200 64mb ddr

Thats about it thanks

Please reply

you can't format a hdd in any windows os through
"my computer" ,and I would'nt recommend using any 3rd party software that comes with any HDD to format or install or fdisk,it lingers on the drive forever.IMHO

here are step by step instructions for you,see if this might help you :) (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348)
this should make it clear and easy. :)
take care...........

YeOldeStonecat
12-02-02, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by click_here
you can't format a hdd in any windows os through
"my computer"

??? HUH ???

A_old
12-02-02, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
??? HUH ???

:p R000fl:p :rotfl: :rotfl: :nod: HUH? is right? can someone pass some of that crack my way? LOL

click_here
12-02-02, 08:34 AM
??? HUH ???

What I ment was that I've never been able to format a hdd from going into "my computer" and right clicking on "C" drive or whatever drive letter and clicking on "format".
sure it works on ZIP and FDD drives,but it does'nt work on HDD's as far as I know,or atleast I have never re-formatted a HDD by right clicking on C drive icon and clicking on "format",which is what it looked like extremeg177 was trying to do,when he said>

"(When i go into my computer right click on my local disk and hit format it says windows can not format this hard drive) "

I don't think that will format a HDD,thats what I was talking about,

unless there is something in XP that I don't know about,

does that clear it up? atleast thats the way I saw his question,and I was trying to help per his question. :)

and no,I'm not on crack Amro.! :(

YeOldeStonecat
12-02-02, 09:32 AM
Right clicking the "C" partition, correct, you'll get issues there because of open files, active partition, the OS is trying to format itself. But extended partitions (IE your D drive, E drive, etc etc)....those you can format fine, except for some instances of multi-booting where your OS may be on those partitions.

Formatting those other partitions from within the OS works fine, FDISK even works fine running from the desktop through a DOS box...given you're not trying to blow out your primary active partition.

Again, though in NT based OS's, work with your disks through Disk Administrator(NT 4.0)/Manager(2K/XP).

click_here
12-02-02, 09:48 AM
Right clicking the "C" partition, correct, you'll get issues there because of open files, active partition, the OS is trying to format itself. But extended partitions (IE your D drive, E drive, etc etc)....those you can format fine, except for some instances of multi-booting where your OS may be on those partitions.

Formatting those other partitions from within the OS works fine, FDISK even works fine running from the desktop through a DOS box...given you're not trying to blow out your primary active partition.

Again, though in NT based OS's, work with your disks through Disk Administrator(NT 4.0)/Manager(2K/XP).

I like Ghost 2003 for that stuff.but thanks for the friendly reply. :)
have a great day,,,,,,

Docsta
12-02-02, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Amro
:p R000fl:p :rotfl: :rotfl: :nod: HUH? is right? can someone pass some of that crack my way? LOL

bahhhhhhhhhahahahahahh DAYAM amro where'd u get this bong man? dis weed is sum goood shhitttttttttttttttt

click_here
12-02-02, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Docsta
bahhhhhhhhhahahahahahh DAYAM amro where'd u get this bong man? dis weed is sum goood shhitttttttttttttttt

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/scorchio/sasmokin.gif

YeOldeStonecat
12-02-02, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by click_here
I like Ghost 2003 for that stuff.but thanks for the friendly reply. :)
have a great day,,,,,,

Yeah Ghost is awesome, been using it for many many years, but it's bitten me in the butt when I've made partitions and formatted them with it, out of a couple of hundred uses, I've had a couple of user errors relating to the FAT. I started FDISK'ing and formatting before ghosting over partitions...never had the problem.