PDA

View Full Version : Northbridge Cooling



Cameron203
12-01-02, 12:16 PM
Hey I put a 40mm fan on my northbridge heatsink and was wondering should I have stuck some rubber washers between the fan and the heatsink or will the fan be ok just sitting on top of the heatsink.?

Needlefreak
12-01-02, 12:25 PM
Never heard of any probs caused by that...How is the fan and HS secured to the Northbridge?

click_here
12-01-02, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Cameron203
Hey I put a 40mm fan on my northbridge heatsink and was wondering should I have stuck some rubber washers between the fan and the heatsink or will the fan be ok just sitting on top of the heatsink.?

if it's not vibrating and making noise,then don't worry about it,my blue orb is just clipped on one side and stuck on with thermal tape and it's fine.here is my NB project.
this first pic is the old cooler that came with my mobo,but it did'nt come with any thermal tape or paste.
http://users.adelphia.net/~onegighz/chipset%20soyo%20cpu.JPG
so I took off the soyo fan and there is no thermal tape or paste AT ALL on the via chip.I could only fit one mounting pin on the Orb and I used thermal adhesive tape.It seems to hold just fine.
http://users.adelphia.net/~onegighz/chipset%20tape.JPG
so with the blue orb in place
http://users.adelphia.net/~onegighz/chipset%20orb.JPG
and I think it also looks pretty cool too! J
http://users.adelphia.net/~onegighz/chipset%20ram%20cpu.JPG
now my temps at idle are much more stable and lower on the northbridge.

Cameron203
12-01-02, 12:49 PM
Its just held down with some screws (machined) and believe me you couldn't pull it off.

Cameron203
12-01-02, 12:50 PM
I just know when you attach a fan to the cpu heatsink that they tell you to have some space between the fan and the heatsink.

click_here
12-01-02, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Cameron203
I just know when you attach a fan to the cpu heatsink that they tell you to have some space between the fan and the heatsink.

who is "they" ? lol

the only thing to worry about is that the fan blades clear the HS,otherwise you would always want to secure the fan to the hs as good as possible.

if you look at my cpu HS assy,the delta fan is screwed to the hs with no space at all between the fan and the heatsink and it works fine.

on my NB HSF the fan is attatched directly and close to the blue HS ,with no space.

Cameron203
12-01-02, 01:22 PM
How are you getting your chipset readings?

I have an Abit IT7 Max and Max 2 and I only have a CPU and Case Temp monitor, but there is a third temp sensor but no one seems to know what it is.

click_here
12-01-02, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Cameron203
How are you getting your chipset readings?

I have an Abit IT7 Max and Max 2 and I only have a CPU and Case Temp monitor, but there is a third temp sensor but no one seems to know what it is.

my Soyo Dragon+ has a third temp sensor that I believe reads the NB temps in MBM,it jumps around alot and it's not a really critical temp anyway! I just did the HS and fan upgrade on my NB more out of the shear need to tweak more and play than anything else! LOL