PDA

View Full Version : I have a few Questions about RAID

buckyeyes
12-01-02, 10:39 AM
I'm interested in knowing what the advantages of having a RAID controller are? I know that you can hook up 2 hard drives to the RAID to make them run faster. Does this really make a big difference? Can you hook any other hardware to a RAID controller like a CD-RW or DVD to make them run faster? Any information will be helpful thanks:D

buckyeyes

LT-73
12-01-02, 10:57 AM
Hiya Buckeyes,

It's my understanding you can only hook up Hard Drives in the raid array. Yes there's a performance increase cuz 2 drives become 1, but there's also a flip side: If one drive malfunctions; both drives are screwed.

Welcome to speedguide :D

twwabw
12-01-02, 10:57 AM
In general, the main advantage to using a controller for RAID vs. software (the OS itself) is allowing a separate piece of hardware to control the array frees up system resources for other tasks. A large disk array can consume a lot of overhead. This generally makes the controller based array faster. (and even arguably more stable). Also, array controllers can have additional features that the OS raid cannot provide, like hot swap capabilities; dynamic expansion; battery backup; built-in cache memory. All in all, the preferable solution.

As far as powering additional devices such as CD's, generally they cannot. They are designed to run RAID arrays, and that's it.

I'm also assuming we're talking about SCSI raid.

Shagster
12-01-02, 12:04 PM
You can run ROM's and separate non-raid hdd off motherboard RAID slots, i dont see why you couldnt on a raid controller but ya got me. You planning on raid 0 or raid 1?