PDA

View Full Version : My vp6 board died.....

Deus ex Machina
11-30-02, 01:38 PM
Looks like all that folding was more than it could take. The heatsink fell off the VIA chip and it fried..... Hmmmm... I can spend from 39-110 for a comparable... groan, I hate this.....

david

YeOldeStonecat
11-30-02, 02:49 PM
My VP-6 that was running my SBS2000 server...she crashed last week...haven't had the time to look at it yet.

Grrr....man I really hate Via. Only affordable way I could run duallies though...but like I always say, you get what you pay for. Should have listened to my own advice.

Faust
11-30-02, 03:23 PM
jeez, guys. yer freakin' me out, here. if what they say is true..... and bad tings come in threes, i should probably start shopping for a replacement for my VP6 this weekend.

oh, and YoSC, i figured out what the (networking) problem was with the server. it was the software firewall. apparently, there was a new version of it out for a few weeks, and somehow the old version disables all TCP traffic if you don't update to the new version. that's why even the "clean" drive image i was using wouldn;t work. all i had to do is uninstall the firewall and everything was peachy again.

Mehmet
11-30-02, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Deus ex Machina
Looks like all that folding was more than it could take. The heatsink fell off the VIA chip and it fried..... Hmmmm... I can spend from 39-110 for a comparable... groan, I hate this.....

david

hey david, my board is still available.. if you want it :)

YeOldeStonecat
11-30-02, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Faust
oh, and YoSC, i figured out what the (networking) problem was with the server. it was the software firewall.

Hmmm...thanks for the update, I was wondering about that.

///adds yet another reason to his list to never use a software firewall///

Deus ex Machina
11-30-02, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
My VP-6 that was running my SBS2000 server...she crashed last week...haven't had the time to look at it yet.

Grrr....man I really hate Via. Only affordable way I could run duallies though...but like I always say, you get what you pay for. Should have listened to my own advice.

Mine was running almost constant for two or three years. I cannot complain....

Mehmet,

What are you asking for it?

shant,
david

Deus ex Machina
11-30-02, 08:23 PM
Every board utilizes the VIA chipset, even Tyan....

Mehmet
12-01-02, 03:07 AM
Mine was running almost constant for two or three years. I cannot complain....

Mehmet,

What are you asking for it?

shant,
david

how does 85 bucks shipped sound? ive got everything that it came with too, ide calbe, ultra ATA cable.. floppy, manual, USB header, the cd.. ill give it all too ya :)

Docsta
12-01-02, 03:12 AM
this is truely a sad day in America. :( When is the burial? Poor vp6 :( was a good old soul i bet.

YeOldeStonecat
12-01-02, 07:08 AM
Every board utilizes the VIA chipset, even Tyan....

??? Huh ???

YARDofSTUF
12-01-02, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
??? Huh ???

i think he's saying that all p3 dualies use the via chipset.

david, never seen the intel serverworks chipset?

Deus ex Machina
12-01-02, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
i think he's saying that all p3 dualies use the via chipset.

david, never seen the intel serverworks chipset?

To clarify...... in the price range that I am will to invest for two 1GHz P3's.

said Tyan board with via chipset.
Tyan S2507T Socket 370 Dual MP Motherboard(PWS-MB-Intel)

Mehmet,
PM me as to where you wish the check sent.... Yes, I am interested.

shant,
david

YARDofSTUF
12-01-02, 02:57 PM
ya the cheapest dualie with teh serverworks chip is about 400ish so i can understand that, and hey, i love my tyan 230T :p

Faust
12-01-02, 11:08 PM
///adds yet another reason to his list to never use a software firewall///

can't argue with you on that one. when i change ISPs, i'll be picking up a router (unless i can configure this Zyxel 642R correctly). i've had 5 static/public IPs for almost 3 years and got used to setting (software firewal) rules and such. never gave me too many headaches.

new ISP will be PPPoE, so a router will be a must.

YeOldeStonecat
12-02-02, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Faust

new ISP will be PPPoE, so a router will be a must.

Which one ya getting? Yer Zyxel doesn't support PPPoE? Even with a firmware upgrade? They're cousins to Netgears, no?

Faust
12-03-02, 05:03 AM
Which one ya getting? Yer Zyxel doesn't support PPPoE? Even with a firmware upgrade? They're cousins to Netgears, no?

well, the Zyxel should do it (supports PPPoE, PPPoA, Ethernet Encap and the like). i shot them and e-mail today to see if it (642R) could be reconfigured for a different provider, and they said "yep". even encouraged me to call if i had any problems.

MAN! good customer service sure carries a lot of weight with me. especially in this day and age when companies will bend over backwards to get your money, and then when they have it, make any kind of support as excruciating as possible. kudos to Zyxel!

now, the only question is whether the new DSL provider will allow me to use it.

EDIT: oh, and i am not sure about the connection between Netgear and Zyxel. your guess is better than mine on that one.