PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me...

word_play
11-28-02, 10:35 PM
Hey guys...

i made a post about my computer restarting earlier entitled "Did my cheap overheat?"

It was going fine for about a week or so then all of a sudden it restarted on me 3 times, then once tonight. I uncheck to restart if an error occurs and i recieved this message...

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your pc. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have addequate disk space. If a drive is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates, try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vender for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

then i got a whole bunch of tech info that im not going to disclose.

i called HP they said to back-up all my stuff because they're going to have to do a system recovery. URGH...i just bought this machine not 2 weeks ago...why me?

whats ur opinon on the situation? im pissed cause i cant return it eother its been over 10 days.

System:

HP Pavilion 523n
AMD 220+ (1.8GHz)
512mb DDRAM (32 shared video)
80Gb harddrive
CD-RW (40X12X40)
DVD (16X)

Thanks for any help guys!

A_old
11-28-02, 10:41 PM
who did u get it thru...did u get an extra warranty?

i'm thinking PSU, hdd, or memory

word_play
11-28-02, 10:43 PM
got it through staples business depot in canda...got an extended warranty for 3 years.

word_play
11-28-02, 10:46 PM
10 days to return it for full refund...its brand new

LT-73
11-28-02, 10:50 PM
Take it back and get a new machine ;)

loop2kil
11-28-02, 10:53 PM
From the specs i would guess its an early nforce board...dont know many other amd chipsets with 32mb's shared ram for video??? i would try verifing this and get the latest driver updates for your chipset and from window$ update.

two other issues come to mind:

1) faulty/crapped psu
2) Might also be a heat issue, check to make sure the hsf is securely attached and properly seated.

word_play
11-28-02, 10:54 PM
i guess id have to argue with them or say hp told me to exchange it for a new one.

word_play
11-28-02, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by loop2kil
From the specs i would guess its an early nforce board...dont know many other amd chipsets with 32mb's shared ram for video??? i would try verifing this and get the latest driver updates for your chipset and from window$ update.

two other issues come to mind:

1) faulty/crapped psu
2) Might also be a heat issue, check to make sure the hsf is securely attached and properly seated.

if i open the machine will it viod the warranty? u think the prob will go away after the system recovery?

loop2kil
11-28-02, 11:06 PM
ahh, yes forgot about those lovely voided warranties 'if this seal is broken'...

do what lt-73 suggests and take it back and tell 'em to fix it or give you another one.

word_play
11-28-02, 11:07 PM
what should i do? i just got this thing 2 weeks ago and its giving me problems already...damit...thanks guys

word_play
11-28-02, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by loop2kil
ahh, yes forgot about those lovely voided warranties 'if this seal is broken'...

do what lt-73 suggests and take it back and tell 'em to fix it or give you another one.

should i do like HP says and do a system recovery?

word_play
11-28-02, 11:10 PM
what if i said HP told me to ask for a straight exchange...?? would that work?

loop2kil
11-28-02, 11:24 PM
straight exchange would work i guess....system itself looks ok.

word_play
11-29-02, 06:03 AM
should i do the system recovery to see what happens or do u think its a hardware problem?

thanks.