PDA

View Full Version : Help me Please

extreme
11-28-02, 09:05 PM
hey everyone, I just got done building my new rig:D but i have one issue. It says my harddrive is drvie G. Is there a way i can cahnge that to drive C. I need to change it so i can run some dedicated server:D

Please Reply

Thanks

oh my AIM is Extremex1212

cy
11-28-02, 09:10 PM
is that your only partition of the HD? or you got couple partition?

LT-73
11-28-02, 09:12 PM
Yep, sounds like you've got more than one partition.

Welcome to speedguide :D

Norm
11-28-02, 09:15 PM
You say "It says my hd is G.

What is "It"
Dos? Windows? Linux? A boot disk? What?

extreme
11-28-02, 09:19 PM
When I look in my computer is says that my HardDrive is G I am running win xp i dont know if it has only 1 partition (can you tell i am a noob lol) Do I need to change Some thing in BIOS. This is annoying the crap outa me:D

extreme
11-28-02, 09:21 PM
Oh how do i make more then 1 partition i am running win xp

Norm
11-28-02, 09:24 PM
You better list the Motherboard you used to make this rig, and any other parts, like how many harddrives you put in, and if they were new or used parts.

When you installed XP, did the install ask what partition you wanted to install to, and was there other options(partitions) than the one you picked?

Norm
11-28-02, 09:26 PM
Also, what other (if any) drives and letters are there in "My Computer"

extreme
11-28-02, 09:47 PM
It never asked me how much partitions i wanted

Here are the specs of my Rig

1.Wester digital hard drive 80gb 7200 rpm
2.Hi-val 56x cd-rom
3.AMD athlon xp 1900 (1.6ghz)
4.Floppy drive
5.Cd-rw 48x write 16x re-write 48x read
6.Netgear 32bit NIC
7.GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64ddr ram
8.PNY 256ddr DIMM (dual inline memory module)
9.Windows xp home edition
10.Soyo kt 333 dragaon Ultra (platinum edition)

The other Drives are
A=floppy disk drive
c=removeable disk drive flash media
d=removeable disk drive scandisk
e=cdrom drive
f=cd-rw drice
g- hdd(hard drive)

I think that is about it

Do i have to re-install windows xp?

extreme
11-28-02, 09:48 PM
everything is NEW

loop2kil
11-28-02, 09:58 PM
hmmm, strange never seen windows do that one b4... when u installed windows it recognized the card reader gadgets first. i could except that but why the cdroms first too.

but why cant u just run your server as it is now?

KsJason
11-28-02, 09:59 PM
start control panel , administartive tools,computer management,disk management you can change drive letters there if that is what your wanting to do.

extreme
11-28-02, 10:09 PM
I tried that and is says "windows can not modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume

Any other suggestions?

KsJason
11-28-02, 10:14 PM
if you click on disk management on the bottom right click and change drive letters you have to change the c drive you got now to something else before you can change you new c drive

wow i am kinda confusing myself now

loop2kil
11-28-02, 10:28 PM
if you click on disk management on the bottom right click and change drive letters you have to change the c drive you got now to something else before you can change you new c drive

Loopy learned something new today :) Thank you
when will i stop learning and just know everything?

stevebakh
11-29-02, 05:34 AM
you CAN'T change G drive to C now. This is because your boot information is in that particulat volume. Some held within the registry and some held within boot.ini. Although you can change this.. it's a lot of hassle.

The only way you're getting that drive as drive C os to do a re-format... and when the blue screen comes up for you to choose partitions etc... delete the existing one, and create a new one in that place. The setup screen should then show the drive as C. If not, you will have to remove the removable media drives [just disconnect them] re-install windows, the re-connect them afterwards. But you really don't wanna be messing around changing your boot volume... because then you will most likely need a reformat anyway.

good luck

extreme
11-29-02, 08:04 AM
it still said it cant Should i call the manufacture?

Please help

extreme
11-29-02, 08:06 AM
If i re-install windows xp will i have to register again? becuase i dont think you can register more than once

downhill
11-29-02, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by extremeg177
If i re-install windows xp will i have to register again? becuase i dont think you can register more than once

Yes you can register more than once...if it dosn't let you do it through the net..you can simply call them and tell them what happend.

But you do have a certian amount of times you can register in a year before that happens.

If you can't get it corrected by the above suggestions, Partition Magic should fix it for you if you don't want to reformat.

extreme
11-29-02, 09:29 AM
were to i get partition magic?

jumpingrat
11-29-02, 09:52 AM
Here's PM's website http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/ . And you can buy it at any software dealer worth a darn. :)

stevebakh
11-29-02, 07:47 PM
XP sucks anyway... but yes, you can still re-reg it. It's the only way you can sort it out... also, in future, don't register it until you are happy with the way things are setup... and M$ really didn't compesate for advanced users with this new SW protection... didn't think of the people who have to do several format, or people who upgrade computer regualrly. unfortunately, M$ have the monopoly [ONLY AT THE MOMENT THOUGH ;)] so for now if you have to use anythin, try M$ win2000.

good luck :)

extreme
11-29-02, 09:22 PM
thanks for all your help everyone