Intel P4 2.8gig 512kb cache
Asus P4S533 mobo
Western Digital 100gb HD w 8mb cache
512mb of memory ( 2 - 256)
ATI Radeon 8500 128mb video card
Lite on 48x24x48 burner
Lite on 16x 117 dvd
19" LG monitor

Powered it on...here the beep for no error during post, see the asus screen then the set up screen with the time at the top but then it shuts down??

Not sure where to look....thanks:)

downhill
11-27-02, 06:57 PM
Read my pm yet?

Suzie
11-27-02, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by downhill
Read my pm yet?

I'm there, check yours:)

SLK
11-27-02, 08:59 PM
oh yea, hurry and get to bios and disable Fan Alert under PC health status. U using a low rpm fan 3 pin, or 4 pin(Power Supply connector)?

mwkirchner
11-27-02, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by downhill
Read my pm yet?

Is there any way the rest of us in here might be able to know what caused this? I am just learning the ins and outs and was following this only to see "did you read my PM?"

I would very much like to know what would cause the problem she was having ... if you do not mind sharing that info.

downhill
11-27-02, 10:17 PM
Sorry and your right of course...Suzie had pm'd me some time agou about some suggestions on building a puter...how hard is it, what parts and so forth....when she powered it up, I wasn't home and had sent a pm pior to reading this thread....:)

Suzie is just starting to power her puter up..No post errors on the first power up, all fans spin but..

She can't seem to get to the bios. As soon as she boots to it, it gives her a floppy drive error.

My guess is that she has the cable backwards for the floppy. She's probably done for the night......To be continued. :)

Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

She's using the Asus P4S533-E, I believe.

The fact that it posts without errors is testimony to her attention to detail......wooohoo..Suzie!

mwkirchner
11-27-02, 10:30 PM
Thank you Downhill ... I will keep my eye on this thread. Will be interested to find out what actually happened.

Thank you for answering here so I could see what is going on.

Suzie
11-27-02, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by SlicKsTufF2355
oh yea, hurry and get to bios and disable Fan Alert under PC health status. U using a low rpm fan 3 pin, or 4 pin(Power Supply connector)?

3 pin...I can't seem to get into the bios. It powers off as soon as see the screen?

downhill
11-27-02, 11:44 PM
Suzie, if you would, post your mobo, memory and cpu specs....the guru's here will need it to figure this out. :)

And if I may add..

She post's but can't get to the bios before the puter shuts down...

She is using a ps2 keyboard so it's not a usb issue, anyway..

Suzie
11-27-02, 11:51 PM
Antec sx835II case 350w power supply
Intel P4 2.8gig 512kb cache
Asus P4S533 mobo SIS Chipset 64DX DDR333 478 pin
Western Digital 100gb HD w 8mb cache
2 - 256mb 2700 DDR
ATI Radeon 8500 128mb video card
Lite on 48x24x48 burner
Lite on 16x 117 dvd
19" LG monitor

Thanks downhill:)

poptom
11-27-02, 11:56 PM
I had a similar problem with my last build. My Soyo board has a "fan off control" that shuts down immediately if the CPU fan isn't running. In my case, the fan speed sensor was inoperative. I temporarily swapped fans in order to get into setup so I could disable that feature.

RoundEye
11-28-02, 12:00 AM
Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the right fan header. Even though it's spinning, it may not be plugged into the right spot. The mobo won't sense it and shut down because of the protection circuit.

RoundEye
11-28-02, 12:02 AM
Another thing to check, is the heatsink mounted properly?

If it's not perfectly flat on the CPU, the CPU will overheat and shut the PC down. And it doesn't take long for this to happen,

Suzie
11-28-02, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by RoundEye
Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the right fan header. Even though it's spinning, it may not be plugged into the right spot. The mobo won't sense it and shut down because of the protection circuit.

Thanks I checked it is.

Suzie
11-28-02, 12:11 AM
Another thing to check, is the heatsink mounted properly?

If it's not perfectly flat on the CPU, the CPU will overheat and shut the PC down. And it doesn't take long for this to happen,

I think that might be it. It doesn't seem to fit tight to the cpu, if I touch it, it has some play. How can I fix that? It's on it's side. Thanks

click_here
11-28-02, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Suzie
I think that might be it. It doesn't seem to fit tight to the cpu, if I touch it, it has some play. How can I fix that? It's on it's side. Thanks

what kind of heatsink/fan assembly is it?
and did you use thermal compound on it?
and no,it should'nt be loose at all,it should be hard to put the clip on, to mount it,and once clipped it should be very stable on the cpu.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Suzie
11-28-02, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by click_here
what kind of heatsink/fan assembly is it?
and did you use thermal compound on it?
and no,it should'nt be loose at all,it should be hard to put the clip on, to mount it,and once clipped it should be very stable on the cpu.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

It came with the cpu it was a boxed set. The clip was hard to get on but I had to take it apart to put the heatsink grease on?

I couldn't get the arcticsilver so the computer place sold me Heatgrease. It says Thermal compound for heatsinks.

No it doesn't see to be stable it has a bit of play in it.

RoundEye
11-28-02, 12:59 AM
It'll usually have a little play in it, from side to side (very little)

The important part is to make sure it is flat on the CPU die.

Suzie
11-28-02, 01:03 AM
It'll usually have a little play in it, from side to side (very little)

The important part is to make sure it is flat on the CPU die.

Little play side to side but it doesn't look like it sits flat up and down.

Actually it looks like it drops out a bit from the top?

click_here
11-28-02, 01:12 AM
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/intnotes.htm
(scroll down about 3/4)

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/stl2/ta_446-1.pdf

terrancelam
11-28-02, 01:44 AM
well if all else fails, once you've got that heatsink mounted properly, clear the cmos/bios by removing the battery physically from the board.

BTW the clips on the stock heatsink should allow for you to remove it fairly easily, just make sure your pull them back both at the same time (the two white tabs on the heatsink.)

One thing you should check, if you think that the heatsink isn't mounted properly is the actually mounting bracket that is attached to the motherboard, it may sometimes be a bit off because one of the white stoppers isn't plugged in fully (There are four that connect the bracket to the motherboard.)

Hopefully this'll help, if not please keep posting and we'll try and get this problem fixed.

loop2kil
11-28-02, 02:49 AM
This might sound simple but its worth checking. With the p4's retail hsf's, they come with 2 clips on each side did you 1st unlock them, then put it over the processor. then you would need to make sure that the all four corners are hooked onto the clasps' and finally lock both clips.

I was kinda thinking Roundeye was onto something there.

i have the same board and there is a Reset Cmos jumper on the board(check manual for location). i would try reseting cmos if the above fails. but i dont think there is enough time to get hot for that to be a problem though.

Also, try booting up with only processor, mb, ram, vid...and nothing else in the computer as well as checking under your m/b to see if there might be a loose screw or something between your board and case (learned this one with my first pc i built too)

Suzie
11-28-02, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone:)

I took the heatsink off again, in Intel support it shows quite a bit of grease being applied in the picture, posted by click here. How much should I be putting on? I just put another thin white layer and booted up and it stayed on longer than it has been. Is it possible I don't have enough grease on?

Suzie
11-28-02, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by terrancelam
well if all else fails, once you've got that heatsink mounted properly, clear the cmos/bios by removing the battery physically from the board.

BTW the clips on the stock heatsink should allow for you to remove it fairly easily, just make sure your pull them back both at the same time (the two white tabs on the heatsink.)

One thing you should check, if you think that the heatsink isn't mounted properly is the actually mounting bracket that is attached to the motherboard, it may sometimes be a bit off because one of the white stoppers isn't plugged in fully (There are four that connect the bracket to the motherboard.)

Hopefully this'll help, if not please keep posting and we'll try and get this problem fixed.

I checked the white stoppers they seem okay.

Cleared the cmos and bios still shuts down, it is staying on a bit longer before doing so but still shuts down.

:)

binksfan
11-28-02, 08:52 AM
Suz...(short version)...heat issue!

I haven't been doing this long enough to offer any definite answers but heres an IMHO.

Suz...(long version)....If it is definitely staying on a little longer than before then it has to be a heat issue. What you've been doing so far is not going to correct any major flaws that were shuting it down before. But if, by playing with the HS/Fan combo, you got it to stay on a little longer then you probably have found your problem. The chip core heats up really quick if its not being cooled properly (which is the reason for the failsafes built in to shut it down quick so you don't detroy the chip if for instance your fan dies). I'm no pro at this but it seems to me that when they sell boxed sets, The HS/Fan combos are usually the bare minimum to cool the chip they come with. Could also be the fan is not functioning well enough to adequately cool that heatsink. You're prob. gonna have to remove old HS, clean the core really well, finishing off with Isopropyl Alcohol. Put on thin layer of artic silver (it's the best out there) and then wipe it off. This will fill any minor scratches on core. Clean bottom of heatsink also with Iso Alc. Apply thin layer Artic and reattach to chip. If that doesn't do it for you then I would suggest a step up in quality(Maybe Volcano 7+)or something rated to cool higher chip than you are using. Good Luck..........I'm following this thread to see the outcome.

Suzie
11-28-02, 09:41 AM
Thanks binksfan:)

Feeling pretty sure it was the heatsink I laid the case on it's side and started it, I'm in the bios now and it's still running. I'll have to see if I can find the arctic silver, seems to be the problem.:)

Suzie
11-28-02, 10:39 AM
I got rid of the play... it's running now:)

What type of temp's should I be seeing for the cpu in the bios?

Norm
11-28-02, 10:44 AM
Suzie, you're doing a fine job. You've come a long way since your first post.

Congrats on your first build !! :)

Norm

click_here
11-28-02, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Norm
Suzie, you're doing a fine job. You've come a long way since your first post.

Congrats on your first build !! :)

Norm

sorry to get off topic here,but the pic in your avatar,is that you?
lol j/k :)

Suzie
11-28-02, 10:51 AM
Thanks Norm!:) I have you and some others to thank for all the help you've given along the way....this couldn't of happened without all of you and all of you willing to share your knowledge!:)

Hehe @ click here:D

Norm
11-28-02, 10:58 AM
The pic is my brother :D

hehe

jk

downhill
11-28-02, 11:06 AM
Wooohooo...Suzie!!!

Your almost there!!! Now all the choices when you load windows...comming right up!

Suzie
11-28-02, 05:28 PM
I have read alot here on SG and had great guidance from so many along the way (and not just about comp):)

I've learned alot from this experience and I mean alot, definately from an error I made. Everythings a go except I believe the heatsink and fan problem is happening because I removed a thermal black layer from the bottom of the heatsink to use heatsink grease instead. (Checked all our local comp places and can't get arctic silver) The small amount of play for the heatsink could be the thickness of the thermal layer. I thought I found a fix earlier but it wasn't permanent.

So if you are building don't do as I did!!

I've emailed intel support and should here back in a couple of days. I'm hoping they can send me another thermal strip or suggest corrective actions for it. I'll post with what I hear back, until then I'm just going to wait.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!:D:)

poptom
11-28-02, 05:39 PM
Do not use the thermal strip or tape when you use grease. It's either/or.

Suzie
11-28-02, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by poptom
Do not use the thermal strip or tape when you use grease. It's either/or.

No I won't. If they send me one I'll clean it off and put just that.

Suzie
11-28-02, 07:12 PM
Here's the case....:)

pics (http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/wishiwas/case.jpg)

another (http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/wishiwas/case1.jpg)

downhill
11-28-02, 07:45 PM
Them ports on the front of the case are pretty cool!!

Looks like plenty of room for air flow. ;)

loop2kil
11-28-02, 09:52 PM
Honestly, if your not going to be doing any heavy duty o/c'ng just use the strip on the retail hsf. I use the retail hsf (with only the black strip) that came with my 1.6a and I keep it folding 24/7 @ 2.13 ghz @ 1.5v and my temp never goes above 40c....and i only have 2 case fans. So in my opinion you should try to get that black strip replaced and just use it. No need to go out and get a hsf that sounds like an airplane, its just not necessary.

Suzie
12-02-02, 06:47 AM
Up and running...Intel got back to me on friday and said I should get another thermal pad. Worked all weekend so I just got around to some research last night and desided to stay with the thermal grease.

Checked and rechecked the heatsink and lockdown and it was fine. So I improvised....the lockdown arms are now holding the heatsink in place....using them to hold it secure by tiewrapping the 2 together for the tension needed. Temps are good for what I know about them, staying at 38C. Looks and is secure. Kinda rinky dink :D but running fine and at least I can carry on with the loading of the OS and such and look at getting a different heatsink down the road.

Thanks everyone....:) off to the software forum to find out what kind of partition sizes I should go with. :)