PDA

View Full Version : ? for YeOldeStonecat and twwabw

Sid
11-27-02, 12:18 AM
Could either one of you tell me how to set a static IP for the HP LaserJet 4? I've got it plugged into the netgear router and my 2k server w/dhcp assigned it an address and it does work this way but I would perfer to either set it static or reserve it in dhcp. Which is the best way to set this up? If static is the way to go how do you set it up. I saw no options for this in the menu and the HP docs don't cover ethernet connections in it. Reserving the address in dhcp looks to be the easest way to go.

Sid
11-27-02, 12:52 AM
Never mind. I just reserved by mac address in the dhcp server.

YeOldeStonecat
11-27-02, 03:02 PM
Man I have to sit in front of one and play with it for a minute until I get it....

The MAC should work, but I still prefer doing it via static, as I don't trust router DHCP services. Anyways,

First way to try....download and install Jet Admin software, or even the newer Web Admin. Do a search via the MAC of the MIO...and specify IP that way.

Or if you know the current IP address of the printer, meaning it's already preset, you can see it from a print config page, you can change a workstation to match the scope, and telnet to the MIO, and change it that way.

Or, via the front panel:
To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following instructions:

1. Press MENU, until HP MIO 1 or 2 or EIO 1 or 2 appears.

2. Press ITEM. CFG NETWORK = NO appears.

3. Press the plus or VALUE key. CFG NETWORK = YES appears.

NOTE: The CFG NETWORK = XXX (XXX being YES or NO) is a toggle, not a permanent setting. After changing it to YES, so that the settings can be changed, it will always revert back to NO.

4. Press SELECT.

5. Press ITEM repeatedly until CFG TCP/IP = NO appears.

6. Press the plus or VALUE key. CFG TCP/IP = YES appears.

NOTE: The CFG TCP/IP = XXX (XXX being YES or NO) is a toggle, not a permanent setting. After changing it to YES, so that the settings can be changed, it will always revert back to NO.

7. Press SELECT.

8. Press ITEM. BOOTP = YES * appears.

9. Press the plus or VALUE key. BOOTP = NO appears. (When using BootP or DHCP, keep the setting BOOTP = YES *. The BootP or DHCP server will configure the TCP/IP parameters on the HP JetDirect. No other TCP/IP configuring is necessary.)

10. Press SELECT.

11. Press ITEM. IP BYTE 1 = (value *) appears.

12. Press the plus or VALUE key, until the desired value of the first byte of the IP address appears. By pressing and holding the plus or VALUE key, the value will scroll rapidly. (The HP LaserJet 4000, 5000, 8000 printers have a minus key to decrease the value.)

13. Press SELECT to save the value.

14. Press ITEM to continue. Repeat steps 11-13 to configure the remaining bytes of the IP address.

15. Repeat steps 11-13 to configure the subnet mask bytes (SM BYTE 1=), syslog server IP address (LG BYTE 1=), default gateway (GW BYTE 1=), and timeout (TIMEOUT=).

16. Press ONLINE or GO. Print a self-test page to verify the IP settings.

HP LaserJet 4, 4 Plus, 4V, 4Si, and 5 series and HP Color LaserJet printers

To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following instructions:

1. Press MENU, repeatedly, until one of the following messages is displayed on the control panel:

HP LaserJet printer type
Control panel message

HP LaserJet 4 and 4M printers:
AUX IO MENU

HP LaserJet 4 Plus, 4M Plus, 4V, 4MV, 5/5N/5M and Color LaserJet printers:
MIO MENU

HP LaserJet 4Si/4Si MX:
MIO MENU 1 or MIO MENU 2

2. Press ITEM. "CFG NETWORK=NO*" will appear.

3. Press the plus key once. "CFG NETWORK=YES*" will appear.

4. Press ENTER.

5. Press ITEM repeatedly until CFG TCP/IP=NO* appears.

6. Press the plus key. CFG TCP/IP=YES* will appear.

7. Press ENTER.

8. Press ITEM until BOOTP=YES* appears.

9. Press the plus key. BOOTP = NO will appear. (When using BootP or DHCP, keep the setting BOOTP = YES *. The BootP or DHCP server will configure the TCP/IP parameters on the HP JetDirect. No other TCP/IP configuring is necessary.)

10. Press ENTER.

11. Press ITEM. IP BYTE 1 = (value) will appear.

12. Press the plus key, until the value of the first byte of the IP address appears on the control panel display. By pressing SHIFT and the plus key, the value will decrease.

13. Press ENTER.

14. Press ITEM to continue. Repeat steps 11-13 to configure the remaining bytes of the IP address.

15. Repeat steps 11-13 to configure the subnet mask bytes (SM BYTE 1=), syslog server IP address (LG BYTE 1=), default gateway (GW BYTE 1=), and timeout (TIMEOUT=).

16. Press the ONLINE button. Print a self-test page to verify the IP settings.

Sid
11-27-02, 06:03 PM
Holly crap. You could make a lot of money setting these things up by the hour:D . Thanks I have it burned to cd.

BTW I don't trust the routers dhcp and dns services either. I have turn them both off because I run 2k advanced server with active directory and RIS so dns and dhcp are a must. I just configured the IP and mac address in the servers dhcp as a reserved IP just for this printer. Took about 2 mins to config. I haven't seen any glitches yet.

YeOldeStonecat
11-27-02, 06:30 PM
Ahh, there ya go, trusty DHCP on an NT server, yeah, I agree. For some reason, when I read your post before, I assumed (wrongfully, should have known better in your case), the DHCP of the router.

Yes, they are a pain to configure via the readout up top, even the newer 4000's, etc. Even if you have the steps completely memorized, and feel totally confident, you'll spend an easy 15 minutes pressing buttons. You know the hard part? Scrolling up through the IP addresses, using the the rocker buttons, one byte at a time. That's the time killer. You'll have the IP address itself, the subnet, and the gateway. Oh it hurts. If you can use Jet Admin, or Web Admin...much easier. Find MAC...assign whatever you need....done.

Sid
11-27-02, 07:38 PM
If you can use Jet Admin, or Web Admin...much easier

I haven't looked yet but are these avalible at HP site?

YeOldeStonecat
11-27-02, 07:53 PM
Jet Admin takes a while to find, it's "officially" discontinued, too bad...I like it much better than their newer product, the slower and clunky "web admin"...which you can still find:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=WBJASW&prodName=hp+web+jetadmin+software&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=27905&prodTypeId=18972

As for Jet Admin, do a search for ja256en.exe and you'll pull up some links, even oldies to HP's ftp site. Find via MAC...assing IP...done.

Sid
11-27-02, 08:05 PM
Thanks, I'll look for it when I got a little more time.

twwabw
11-28-02, 06:04 AM
Geez... I feel like a bum! YOSC, you printed out the entire procedure ??? What..... no screenshots ??? :rotfl:

SID, I figured you were all set when I saw you posted your cure for the IP- didn't mean to ignore the post.

Anyway, if you need a copy of JetAdmin I might know where you could possibly locate a copy. :D Just PM me.

I agree with YOSC- the new "Web Admin" sucks compared to JetAdmin.

YeOldeStonecat
11-28-02, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by twwabw

Anyway, if you need a copy of JetAdmin I might know where you could possibly locate a copy. :D Just PM me.

I didn't type ALL that by heart, I copied 'n pasted from a PDF or something.

You can still peel JA from HP's FTP site, they "say" they discontinued it, but notice if you go to download the "hp Install Network Printer Wizard 3.01", the file name starts with "ja"

ja256en.exe

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?lc=en&softitem=ja-7471-1&sw_lang=en