PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Motherboard...need some future tips

Gundamflare
11-25-02, 07:55 PM
Well, I had a feeling something like this was going to happen, but before I purchase a new mobo and proc, I need to make sure I don't make the same mistakes. It was a second hand mobo with a person who took care of his equipment well. One night, I was just talking on AIM, and the monitor just jumped into standby (the irony). I turned off the CPU, booted it back up, no avail, tried taking out the video card...put it back in, booted it up, negative. Swapped cards for 1 last ray of hope, still nothing. I took it to a friends house who suggested we clear the CMOS, we replaced the jumper (its an Asus A7V266-E KT266A AA), it started to smoke from the bottom, and was pronounced dead shortly after.

What could have caused this? we found the processor was chipped too. Are there any steps I can take to ensure that this will not happen again?

Unholy
11-25-02, 08:14 PM
Not powerfull enough PSU? Anyways that's the first time I've ever heard of a mobo actually die with smoke comming out of it. Mines just died a quiet death without all that fancy pyrotechnics.

*Plz disregard my mindless ramblings not enough sleep*

A_old
11-25-02, 09:37 PM
my first thought would be that the board was not properly grounded. u should make sure to put copper spacers under every hole in the MB and put a screw in every hole on the MB to attach it to the case firmly. This is a MUST. Also, becareful...if a screw falls under it, find it. keep your cables tidy so as not to give a chance for trouble..keep it dust free..dust and/or moisture will cause shorts...and bring smoke/burn.. that = = bad.

Amro

SLK
11-26-02, 03:05 PM
also, be careful with the Arctic Silver. Use it sparingly;)