PDA

View Full Version : Raid

LT-73
11-25-02, 04:45 PM
Hey guyz, just got my 2 40gig maxtors 7200's and set up raid-o. This thing is flyyyyyyyyin ! :D Clean install of win xp pro. Now i need some help. How do i setup my 60 gig as secondary for my mp3's? It used to be my primary drive with os, games, apps and music. I really don't want to format it cuz i still have files i wanna save and move over.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mark
11-25-02, 04:49 PM
plug the old drive in and go to device manager, right click on disk drives and scan for hardware changes. copy over whatever files you want and then format that dive to start it fresh ??

LT-73
11-25-02, 04:49 PM
It won't use my 2nd drive to boot from since i still have an os on it?

Mark
11-25-02, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by LT-73
It won't use my 2nd drive to boot from since i still have an os on it?

i think if you have the bios set to boot from the raid first it might be safe to do.

LT-73
11-25-02, 05:03 PM
ok thanx, i'll give it a shot.

LT-73
11-25-02, 05:20 PM
It boots from the 60 gig as i suspected. Ok, now what do i do? I wanna use my 60 gig as secondary, but when i hook it up, it keeps booting from it instead of Raid. Do i have to set the jumpers on it as slave or what?

LT-73
11-25-02, 05:28 PM
^Le bump^

Cmon peeps :(

YARDofSTUF
11-25-02, 05:35 PM
in bios set first boot device to raid, dont have the other hdd listed in the bootup options

LT-73
11-25-02, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
in bios set first boot device to raid, dont have the other hdd listed in the bootup options

I did that, and when it booted, gave me a boot disk error.

LT-73
11-25-02, 06:08 PM
Help anybody???

Mark
11-25-02, 06:12 PM
i have no other ideas LT, is it onboard raid ?
what if you just copyied the files over to cdr's or is there way to much data ?

maybe put the old drive in a spare pc and then transfer the files over, or don't they make utilities for that for new drives ?

LT-73
11-25-02, 06:49 PM
No spare pc snake and it's too much data to burn on cdr's. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and format and lose evrything. i have no other choice and i've run outta ideas :(

Mark
11-25-02, 07:05 PM
i would wait till someone else comes along with some ideas before i formated it.

HawaiianGhost
11-25-02, 07:15 PM
No spare pc snake and it's too much data to burn on cdr's. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and format and lose evrything. i have no other choice and i've run outta ideas :(

How about using a Partitioning/Drive Image Utility???
I have Partition Commander v6 that came on a floppy (free) with my System Commander v7. This is what I have been doing for the past day and a half with my system. Used PC v6 to mostly tranfer 15GB bytes of data (about 5000 .mp3'z) from my old 20GB to the faster 7200rpm 60GB drive. That way I had freed up the 20G'er to install in my wife'z rig - PC v6 even let me "write" 0'z to the hard drive, which took 4-5hrs to do. Not sure if you could use such a software on a RAID setup but it's worth a shot to try. **** I could even make a copy 4 you if you like, it's only on a floppy. PM me if you're interested.

LT-73
11-25-02, 08:14 PM
Thanx HG, but i got to my wit's end and i formatted. I lost evrything, but now when it boots, it tells me to replace the disk and hit enter. Its seen in device manager as drive F. What i'm trying to do now is to stop it from giving me that dam "replace disk" error when it boots.

Mark
11-25-02, 08:19 PM
maybe use the hard driver makers tool for writeing zeros to the single drive and then using the XP disk managment tool to format the drive, that is what i had to do when one of my ibm's in raid-0 died and i wanted use the other one by itself.

Sid
11-25-02, 08:41 PM
Damn LT, I had to leave for a few min but the error was easy enough to fix. All you needed to do was copy the boot.ini, ntdetect.exe and ntldr files back to the raid drive.

Ok now try running recovery console and repair the boot files. Here's the commands for you.

Command Actions
The following list describes the available commands for the Recovery Console:
Attrib changes attributes on one file or subdirectory.
Batch executes commands that you specify in the text file, Inputfile; Outputfile holds the output of the commands. If you omit the Outputfile parameter, output is displayed on the screen.
Bootcfg is used to manipulate the Boot.ini for boot configuration and recovery.
CD (Chdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
Chkdsk The /p switch runs Chkdsk even if the drive is not flagged as dirty. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information; this switch implies /p. Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup (or boot) folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, it prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe.
Cls clears the screen.
Copy copies one file to a target location. By default, the target cannot be removable media and you cannot use wildcards. Copying a compressed file from the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM automatically decompresses the file.
Del (Delete) deletes one file. Operates within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources. You cannot use wildcards by default.
Dir displays a list of all files, including hidden and system files.
Disable disables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to disable. When you use this command to disable a service, it displays the service's original startup type before changing the type to SERVICE_DISABLED. You should note the original startup type so that you can use the enable command to restart the service.
Diskpart manages partitions on hard disk volumes. The /add option creates a new partition; the /delete option deletes an existing partition. The variable device is the device name for a new partition (such as \device\harddisk0). The variable drive is the drive letter for a partition that you are deleting (for example, D); partition is the partition-based name for a partition that you are deleting, (for example: \device\harddisk0\partition1) and can be used in place of the drive variable. The variable size is the size, in megabytes, of a new partition.
Enable enables a Windows system service or driver. The variable service_or_driver is the name of the service or driver that you want to enable, and start_type is the startup type for an enabled service. The startup type uses one of the following formats:

SERVICE_BOOT_START
SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
SERVICE_AUTO_START
SERVICE_DEMAND_START

Exit quits the Recovery Console, and then restarts the computer.
Expand expands a compressed file. The variable source is the file that you want to expand; you cannot use wildcard characters by default. The variable destination is the directory for the new file; by default, the destination cannot be removable media and cannot be read-only; you can use the attrib command to remove the read-only attribute from the destination directory. The option /f:filespec is required if the source contains more than one file; this option permits wildcards. The /y switch disables the overwrite confirmation prompt. The /d switch specifies that the files should not be expanded and displays a directory of the files in the source.
Fixboot writes a new boot sector on the system partition.
Fixmbr repairs the boot partition's master boot code. The variable device is an optional name that specifies the device that needs a new MBR; omit this variable when the target is the boot device.
Format formats a disk. The /q switch performs a quick format; the /fs switch specifies the file system.
Help If you do not use the command variable to specify a command, help lists all the commands that the Recovery Console supports.
Listsvc displays all available services and drivers on the computer.
Logon displays detected installations of Windows and requests the local Administrator password for those installations. Use this command to move to another installation or subdirectory.
Map displays currently active device mappings. Include the arc option to specify the use of Advanced RISC Computing (ARC) paths (the format for Boot.ini) instead of Windows device paths.
MD (Mkdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
More/Type displays the specified text file (such as, filename) on screen.
Net Use connects to a remote share for the Windows XP Recovery Console. The following text describes the syntax for this command:
NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

Rd (Rmdir) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources.
Ren (Rename) operates only within the system directories of the current Windows installation, removable media, the root directory of any hard disk partition, or the local installation sources. You cannot specify a new drive or path as the target.
Set displays and sets the Recovery Console environment variables.
Systemroot sets the current directory to %SystemRoot%.

monkeyhead
11-25-02, 09:35 PM
i dunno if anyone said this but.... i would suggest not having the OS on the RAIDed drives... for one.. if you wanted to format... you could accumulate enough stuff on the drive to not be able to back it up....

but the other thing is that having the RAID without the OS on it, will prob run faster.... you should definately do it if your doing any video editing or whatever on it.... but if your just playin with RAID your fine as you are... thats what im doin now....

Zmoney
11-25-02, 10:53 PM
yea i have heard its way better to use for datastorage...rather than a os...

LT-73
11-26-02, 12:20 AM
Thanx for all your help sid, but i'm a hardware guy, not software. i got lost with the first command, lol.

Like i said b4, it's something with the boot up sequence. it keeps looking for an os in the primary IDE first instead of the Raid. I can't find the dam problem. I formatted the 60Gig and using it as storage. There was noway of saving all my data so it was a total loss.

I know there's gotta be a way to boot from the Raid first then the regular IDE channel. My dam brain is fried, i've been at this since early this morning.

Sid
11-26-02, 12:42 AM
I was just trying to help you understand how to fix the boot on the system so next time you won't lose your data. Damn I hate when that happens.

Hmmm, Mine will boot to both raid and standard controller. I opted on mine for standard install on the 80gb wd se drive and then set the raid up on the crappy maxtors. Of course I don't keep much important data on them and it's set to syncronize with the server every 30 min so every thing gets backed up.

I'll download the manual for your board and take a look. You should be able to boot to the raid with no problem. Like I said my crappy MSI board will. I say its crappy because there is no way of fixing the IRQ conflict with the SB live card and the raid controller.

Sid
11-26-02, 01:06 AM
You've got the same bios that I have in mine. If I remember right just set the 1st boot device as scsi.

zooner
11-26-02, 01:12 AM
have you tried hitting f11 and selecting boot device on bootup?

could be another key, but I would think most modern computer would have an option like that. THat's how I reinstall windows, rather then messing around changing the startup order.

hit f11 and then select to boot from the raid. if this works, we could move onto to other things. I do know that mobo likes to see the ide's as first, then the raid. winxp will leave raid first, but you HAVE to unplug the ide's while you're installing winxp. then, reboot and replug in.

LT-73
11-26-02, 01:20 AM
Ok guyz, thanx for those ideas. I'll try sid's first and see. I'll be back ;)

** EDIT **

Sid, you are da MAN!!! Enabling SCSI as first boot up device did the trick! I'm soooooooo happy!! :D

I thank you and nebulous also thanx you! :nod:

Hey zooner, we thank you too ! ;)

Sid
11-26-02, 01:34 AM
Anytime! BTW I looked at the specs on your board. Nice!

zooner
11-26-02, 01:41 AM
Sid, you are da MAN!!! Enabling SCSI as first boot up device did the trick! I'm soooooooo happy!! :D

:nod:

helped me a couple of times too

:nod: :nod:

LT-73
11-26-02, 01:42 AM
Thanx ! I was thinking of getting an Nforce2 board, but i said what the heck. This 8K3A+ has all the goodies i need. I'll be getting a stick of 512 pc3200 and i'm also going H20 cooling. This baby sure can boogie! :D

Btw, i have a clockoff against fish so you know i have to fine tune nebulous for the match ;)

YeOldeStonecat
11-26-02, 05:37 AM
Wow you had some headaches. What I always do, is simply plop the other HD on IDE 2...and as mentioned above, set the boot order to the RAID/SCSI. Make sure you do this after the OS is setup, up and running. If you just need to peel data off, slave it on IDE 2. You'll never have it wanting to boot from the drive with that setup.

LT-73
11-26-02, 10:20 AM
Thanx YOSC. I could've saved my stuff if i knew about the SCSI boot first. But at least it has no problems and it's runnin great!

I'll keep that in mind :)